R Test Wherwell

pondfish

Hi has anyone Fished Wherwell lately in all this madness have a day off

icejohn

Not since they put the prices up! Just not worth it any more. 70 quid a grayling session. Bacically they want fewer anglers who can afford it.

BobP

They jacked up the prices to deter the idiots who were treating it as a cheap day's chalkstream trout fishing. The fact that the trout were out of season was irrelevant to some. As usual the d*ickheads spoil it for everyone else.

icejohn

Really I used to fish it a fair bit, and once the money was paid never saw a bailiff. So....how would the idiots treat it like a cheap day chalk stream fishing.

You fishing a chalk stream and catching browns and grayling part of any winter fishing where you have two species. Not to mention half the amount of sunlight you get to fish.

I won't say on here what I heard over the phone when I called up but yeah frankly won't be going back as price just too expensive.

The assumption is that if can't afford it you a dickh..d really? Cause I know alot of rich dick..ds!

Their decision to put prices up probabaly means half the footfall on river.

BobP

They had a new river keeper a couple of years ago and he was a lot more active around the river. He saw anglers deliberately targeting oos browns despite being told not to. He also had a spawning area roped off with a notice telling anglers not to enter or wade there. I leave it to you to guess what went on. Those people were promptly ejected from the fishery.

The "d*ckhead" applies to those who blatantly break the rules resulting in the action by the estate to increase prices to deter them which I think was perfectly obvious. If you are one of those who wanted a cheap day catching out of season trout then tough luck.

I very much doubt that either the keeper or the estate will lose any sleep over the fewer anglers on the water.

icejohn

One wanders if the rich dick..d can afford to keep coming back and wading in their no go area even if he is ejected cause he doesn't care and can afford it!

Personally I don't like catching browns,they a pain and mess up the swim. Was always after grayling.

But yeah bump the price up means less anglers without a doubt and they know that! Cause that was one of the comments on the phone. Using a stalin approach of "no man no problem" am sure suits the estate concerned. I consider myself a sporting angler but yeah that venue not something I will be going back to unless the price drops.

Was one if the few places I was thinking of taking my son to get him to learn and not be worried too much with him drowning in a pairs of waders as its shallow in most places.

Last edited:

benisa

there are still some waters that you can fishing for £50/60 per day ( Grayling ) That are not on the radar

Wherwell was never one on my list to fish ( have fished it in the passed )

yes there are a lot what ever want to call them : but not every one should be tarred with the same brush

Re fishing rivers always think all the boys up North have a better deal on a days fishing then us down south:(

in the summer even though i can afford it I would never pay £150 + a day fishing : just wait till the Lady's come out to play after September and fish for a Better class of Fish (y)

BobP

One wanders if the rich dick..d can afford to keep coming back and wading in their no go area even if he is ejected cause he doesn't care and can afford it!

I'm sure his name will be on a "hit list" Certainly would if I were the keeper. The polite answer would always be, "Sorry, we're fully booked that day." I wonder how long it would take for our chummy to realise?

Try taking your lad to the Avon. Avon Springs is OK and then there is Combe Mill which doesn't really need wading, or there is Upavon which is a wading beat but is not deep. Check it out on the Fishing Breaks website. None are heavily fished - Avon Springs is limited to 4 rods and the other two are limited to 2 rods so you'd have the place to yourself.

pati

Wherwell has such beautiful beats but it is spoilt by unnecessary overstocking of Browns and rainbows...

icejohn

Hi bob thank for the advice., Avon springs river is 51, not sure if they charge extra ontop if u with a junior.

I had a look at the others on fishing breaks before and it's mostly aimed at corporate clients couldn't find any fishing there under 50. That's ideally what I am looking for semi decent fishing under 50 quid.

To be fair I am a member of a small club but it's always a compromise of over grown cheaper fishing or golf course type greens and more expensive fishing lol.

For me wherwell was a nice treat Yes in winter not easy fishing but at least its possible for a beginner to see fish cast to even if you don't catch them. At 40 quid was ok to justify the long drive for me at any rate.

Last edited:

glueman

there are still some waters that you can fishing for £50/60 per day ( Grayling ) That are not on the radar

yes there are a lot what ever want to call them : but not every one should be tarred with the same brush

Re fishing rivers always think all the boys up North have a better deal on a days fishing then us down south:(

in the summer even though i can afford it I would never pay £150 + a day fishing : just wait till the Lady's come out to play after September and fish for a Better class of Fish (y)
Derbyshire Wye is £150 per day

BobP

Hi bob thank for the advice., Avon springs river is 51, not sure if they charge extra ontop if u with a junior.

I had a look at the others on fishing breaks before and it's mostly aimed at corporate clients couldn't find any fishing there under 50. That's ideally what I am looking for semi decent fishing under 50 quid.

To be fair I am a member of a small club but it's always a compromise of over grown cheaper fishing or golf course type greens and more expensive fishing lol.

For me wherwell was a nice treat Yes in winter not easy fishing but at least its possible for a beginner to see fish cast to even if you don't catch them. At 40 quid was ok to justify the long drive for me at any rate.

Grayling fishing on Fishing Breaks is not aimed at the corporate market, and neither of the beats mentioned is aimed at that market during the trout season. In fact most of FB's beats are not aimed at that market, the majority of which takes place at an estate fishery downstream of Wherwell. Still, it's up to you.

benisa

Derbyshire Wye is £150 per day
Am sure theirs loads others up north that are not O T T

glueman

Derbyshire rivers are mostly syndicate water, the Wye is but day tickets are available for £150 not sure about the Dove as I belong to a club on that river.

mike fox

Grayling fishing on the upper Dove at Beresford Dale is £30 a day and you get 1 mile of the Derbyshire Anglers stretch which gives you about 2 miles in total including the famous Temple beat.

mike fox

The pricing comparisons with the North and South can be made only with the Chalkstreams. The most northerly Chalkstream is the Driffield Beck where you can get a day ticket for just £30. This is on par quality wise to the southern Chalkstreams whereby it is managed and provides excellent Grayling fishing. The fishery is not overly stocked with browns during the summer, so you do not attract the people who want cheap trout fishing as the majority of its population is wild brown trout. Trout day tickets start from £75
You can get day tickets on the Derbyshire Wye for as little as £58