R Test Wherwell

BobP

bob
you missed what I said
I was saying the ( fishing break etc ) get there fees back from the land owner as a Price is agreed then they add there bit on top sell the water then get the money from us take there bit out and hey presto that have made there money

there are waters down south where I fish and pay the owners or who ever is the looking after the river beat be it the Test: Itchen + all being long rivers

the bit about an honesty box is a bit far fetched !

i know one beat if the river keeper caught you in the river even wading ( let along swimming ) when you should not be you would be thrown out by your ears

Last point as said before you should not "tar every one with the same brush ! "

I am very friendly with a river keeper whose beat is part of the Fishing Breaks portfolio. I asked him out of interest what a day costs if one books it privately, ie not through FB. The amount was the same as what FB charges. So it is obvious that FB, and as far as I know all other letting agents do not add a premium to what the angler pays.

If you really think that the chalkstreams could be opened up to all & sundry at minimum cost and there be no damage, litter, or people taking as many fish as they can then why not persuade the beats you fish to go down that route? I rather suspect the answer would be in the form of a question. "Do you like sex & travel? Well f&ck off then!"

It is not a question of tarring everyone with the same brush, more it only needs one person to chuck sh8t around for it to stick to everyone.

glueman

I am very friendly with a river keeper whose beat is part of the Fishing Breaks portfolio. I asked him out of interest what a day costs if one books it privately, ie not through FB. The amount was the same as what FB charges. So it is obvious that FB, and as far as I know all other letting agents do not add a premium to what the angler pays.

Actually more likely that Fishing Breaks get a big discount

benisa

Actually more likely that Fishing Breaks get a big discount
Yes that's what I have been trying to say to BOB but think he keeps going around the houses !

benisa

If you really think that the chalkstreams could be opened up to all & sundry at minimum cost and there be no damage, litter, or people taking as many fish as they can then why not persuade the beats you fish to go down that route? I rather suspect the answer would be in the form of a question. "Do you like sex & travel? Well f&ck off then!"

It is not a question of tarring everyone with the same brush, more it only needs one person to chuck sh8t around for it to stick to everyone.
No I do not think we have every as you call it " Tom D.. and Harry "on the beat , but fill that some waters not so much for me but others could be fished at a better price.
plus there are ways to find out the every day plonkers !

but that will never happen, as I fill even within fishing there is still a lot of Snobbery

icejohn

Fair play if fishing breaks don't take a commission. But setting up bank details, paying owners prices changing details each year. Paying to keep the websites live costs money. Data security in case they got hacked and sued. Lots of costs.

All of the above for free. Well done that man.

Am sure free fishing on any water etc that is advertised etc on his website etc doesn't come into it.... Am just being pessimistic the website is listed as a business and the aim of any business is to make a profit. So am a little sceptical if there was literally nothing for that person to gain.

pati

It s simple: make the chalk streams public water and stop stocking them. Within a couple of years they will become very difficult/technical waters and most will stop fishing there!

mike fox

It s simple: make the chalk streams public water and stop stocking them. Within a couple of years they will become very difficult/technical waters and most will stop fishing there!
And totally choked by weed so there would be no access to fish any of the water which would then soon become a swamp as it was hundreds of years ago. Then our country would lose yet another world renown wonderful environment. They need management which costs money and that money has to come from the water users as does any other sporting venue across the country. I see nothing wrong with £70 a day to fish such a unique environment, even if it is in mid-winter for Grayling. Catch a PB and I bet you'd think it worth every pound.

delray

Catch a PB and I bet you'd think it worth every pound.
And there are some whoppers in there. The deeper water, close-ish to the road toward Wherwell Village holds some remarkably big Grayling and in the few times I've been, never had a sniff from one of them.
Still not going to pay 70 quid though.

Last edited:

t44

Yes Salisbury coarse membership does allow you to fish for trout in season on any stretch classed as mixed fisheries, and then the Grayling fishing too. You can also fly fish for coarse fish....in the last 2 seasons I’ve had Pike and Carp to 14lb, and a wild BT of 4 1/4.... well worth the approx £130 pa!