Raventhorpe

Charliea1234

I was planning a trip to Ravensthorpe this weekend as a last bastion of catchability in the heat, so I phoned the lodge today.

The warden said that :

- There had only been 10 fish caught this week so far !

- Water temp was now 70F, down from 78F at the weekend :eek:

I'll ring again Friday before deciding whether to go or not.

Charlie

Guest101

I'd give Pitsford a go if you're in that area. Bigger, deeper and therefore a bit cooler. Also they've got aeriators running. With this weeks rain and higher winds it should cool the surface down a fair bit and add a bit of oxygen but you'll still have a warmer mixed zone about five feet down. Good luck.

Charliea1234

Midlander, thanks for the suggestion but all my info is that Rutland, Grafham and Eyebrook are all fishing terribly at the moment unless you have the kit to do rudder/lead line methods, so I'm not confident Pitsford would be any better.

Ravensthorpe gives the best chance just because the stocking density is so much higher than the other rezzies. There is plenty of deep water there too and a small aerator, so I would expect to catch there if I could anywhere.

Charlie

ifor

Charlie,

Any idea what the stocking density is? It does seem to have an amazing rod average compared to any other fishery in the midlands.

Charliea1234

Ifor, I'll ask when I go next, but it is very high as the tickets are mainly C&R so not many get taken out.

Charlie

ifor

Thanks Charlie, I realise that many of the trout are returned, therefore if they stock weekly stock density will increase, here at Thornton we start the season with 3500 trout through catch & release by early September our stock levels will be over 6000 trout in 70 acres.

Im always a little surprised how few rods seem to fish Ravensthorpe they get I see from their latest report (printede in the Leicester FFA mag) only 1864 retuns for the season, (& that particular week 25 returns for a rod average 4) that sounds low rod numbers to me, Is it price keeping them away or what? I would have expected at least twice that number of visits for the season with the way it fishes.

Charliea1234

It's not price - I think it is that bank fishing space is limited and there are only a dozen or so boats so it's not possible to get a lot of people on there at peak times such as weekends.

Charlie

NickH

Try Stocks, fishing well at the moment, 1200 fish stocked this week averaging 2-13oz.

Daily report from yesterday:-
Date
Thursday 3rd August.

Report by
Paul.

Best Catch
12 fish for Ray Entwistle.

Best Bag Weighed in
5 fish for 14lb 8oz by Mr ?

Best Rainbow
Several at 3lb 8oz.

Best Brown
Several at 2lb.

Best Blue
6lb by Fred Davis.

Bank Average
3.11 fish per man.

Boat Rod Average
1.75 fish per man.

Sport: After yesterdays cool, wet and breezy weather, today was the complete opposite with hot, bright sunshine, a return to the weather we have had for the last several weeks. The bright conditions did not seem to hamper Ray Entwistle who had a hectic morning session landing a total of 12 trout to take the best catch of the day. Consistent Ray found fish all along the Hollins bay bank then a brisk walk to the dam resulted in Ray taking the remainder of his catch. He found an intermediate line hit just the right depth and his best patterns were fritz lures of various colours. Also taking a good catch today was Rudolph who landed 8 fish. He found a cats whisker effective fished an a intermediate line, switching to a DI 3 later in the day as the sun got brighter. Mr ? also found a cats whisker effective. He fished in Hollins bay and caught a total of 9 fish. With his 5 fish bag weighing 14lb 8oz he claims the heaviest bag of the day.

Charliea1234

Brian, I called them today.

It's been terrible the last two weeks, but fishing a bit better this week, apparently. Some fish up the top end but the airline on the dam has been best area during the hot weather. PP and Starsky had a shedful there just before it got really hot - deep nymphs.

Charlie

Cumbrian

Ravensthorpe 13th August 2006

Fished here on Sunday with the Leicestershire Fly Fishing Association. The morning was horrible, persistant rain and strong winds and not a single pull. My boat partner had two on but lost both near the boat, we were both nymphing with floating lines. Returned to the lodge for a BBQ lunch to learn that the morning had been very mixed, some had caught a few, others less :)

Went out for the afternoon session from 2-5pm. Weather was much kinder, the wind dropped and rain held off for most of the time. Fished a GB Damsel on the point and an Orange Thorax PTN on the middle dropper and a small Dunkeld variant on the top dropper. Soon went two-down as my boat partner boated two good fish on a similar PTN (which we had been told had caught in the morning) and a Hot Orange headed Diawl bach. Then my luck changed, I managed 5 fish, all in the 2.5-3.5lb range. Three to the Damsel and two to the PTN. Surprising how a few fish can cheer one up :) .

Despite the very greeny coloured water most people caught on the day, but still not as prolific as is usual for this venue.

Last edited:

Latest posts