Raw sewage in our rivers interactive map

shropshire_lad

Interesting....

diawl bach

My discussion will begin with a question to Dwr Cymru regarding our village's CSO which, according to the map, discharged 70 times last year.

I'm not sure what the measure on the map actually relates to and how whatever it is is measured, the CSO is on my land, and the pipe leading to it runs beneath it. If it discharged one in every five days I'd have noticed it so a preliminary enquiry about the data on the map and which events are classified as a spill will be the kick off.

sewage.JPG

Having made FOI requests to the water company in the past I'm not looking forward to any exchange with them, my last enquiry wasn't replied to until I'd registered half a dozen complaints about their failure to respond, eventually I turned to Offwat who threatened them with a fine if I didn't get a response in 14 days. The reply didn't answer the question so Offwat had to step in again and eventually I got a first class response, an on site meeting, and two free fly boxes which didn't compensate for the lost time by a long stretch.

Just an observation, reading the articles on sewage by The Rivers Trust which accompany the map I couldn't help but notice that references to angling are notable by their absence, bathing is the driver. I hope fishing interests haven't been abandoned for a more lucrative, populist funding stream, anglers were instrumental in the establishment of river trusts, it would be a shame to see them abandoned.

bonefishblues

I've just emailed the adjoining village's Parish Council, which is in an ongoing battle with Thames Water - justifiably, given the numbers I see on the map.

shropshire_lad

Having made FOI requests to the water company in the past I'm not looking forward to any exchange with them, my last enquiry wasn't replied to until I'd registered half a dozen complaints about their failure to respond, eventually I turned to Offwat who threatened them with a fine if I didn't get a response in 14 days. The reply didn't answer the question so Offwat had to step in again and eventually I got a first class response, an on site meeting, and two free fly boxes which didn't compensate for the lost time by a long stretch.
I worked for a water company for 20 years.......and then left.

diawl bach

They have major issues when it comes to engaging with the public, bizarre for essential, environmental providers to behave like that.

shropshire_lad

They have major issues when it comes to engaging with the public, bizarre for essential, environmental providers to behave like that.
I think it's a mistake to assume the water companies are environmental. Some are probably better than others. Funnily enough, I would have thought Welsh Water was one of the better ones as it's not for profit?

I'm probably going to get involved with The Rivers Trust and offer my services - I need to do more as I'm just sick and tired of the way we treat the environment, not just our rivers :(

Latest posts