Rawson Glass Rod

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire
Bought on a whim off eBay - I'd tried a friend's Hardy Test and liked it, but wanted something a bit dfferentIMG_8490.JPG
Rawson rather than Rawson & Perrin, the word Rawson on the butt is hand scribbled rather than the usual logo block, I don't know why (early Rawson rod?)
I'm not sure if it's S glass or E glass or whether it's a £100 rod or, as some sell for, a £400 rod
A site selling a coarse cane rod I'm after may take it as a p/ex
Anyone have any ideas about it?

Attachments

iainmortimer

When Mr Perrin left the business and the guys went their separate ways, the business name lost the ‘& Perrin’. There was a sale of stock and I believe the glass rods were one of items sold with just Rawson on them which I’d guess is what you have. I can’t see why it would be any cheaper than a later model!

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
I asked .....

All good here mate. It’ll be s-glass, 8’ 5wt is it? Prob cost £325 new. Think it’s one of the older blanks I had from the R&P days. Think there’s a similar one on eBay currently with no bids at £175

hope that helps

stevel

Looks a nice rod, who rolled the blanks for R&P?

Just googled, looks like it's a CTS Quartz blank.

matt808

I have a cts quartz 8' 5wt and it's nice. Same colour as yours 'nude'. Softish tip, nice through action with enough power to punch through a wind. Sound like your rod?
I have the epic 508 too, newest version and it is definitely not as nice...to me, seems to get rave reviews by others though? it's a 6 weight to me and quite stiff throughout.

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire
I have a cts quartz 8' 5wt and it's nice. Same colour as yours 'nude'. Softish tip, nice through action with enough power to punch through a wind. Sound like your rod?
I have the epic 508 too, newest version and it is definitely not as nice...to me, seems to get rave reviews by others though? it's a 6 weight to me and quite stiff throughout.
It sounds like the same rod, the action doesn't suit my casting style for some reason as with other rods I've had

matt808

It sounds like the same rod, the action doesn't suit my casting style for some reason as with other rods I've had
I like my CTS though in fairness i've not fished it just cast it a bit.
I feel the same about the epic, planning on selling or swapping it for something different.

stevel

I did some googling of these two rods for some reviews and find out what they were like.
It seems that despite large improvements, glass, fast or otherwise, are close range rods, with nice feel and good looks.
Though my Tom Morgan/Leiderman glass rod was very beautiful, I feel that I did the right thing in unloading it. For the things that glass are good at, I'd prefer to use bamboo.

Uncas

I always thought the Tom morgan glass rods in 5 wt where designed for a distance of 20-55 feet.
The original rod used to be 8'6'' 2pc now it's made in 8' only at $1,495 ( cheap ) !:eek:

stevel

I always thought the Tom morgan glass rods in 5 wt where designed for a distance of 20-55 feet.
The original rod used to be 8'6'' 2pc now it's made in 8' only at $1,495 ( cheap ) !:eek:
He brought out 2, in 7'6 (mine) and also an 8 (as well as a 7# streamer rod). Glass are never meant to be a distance beater, but I didn't even think it could make 55' in a medium breeze. Tossing a dry 30' delicately it would have been perfect. I guess I got too use to very capable 4/5 weight bamboos.
I looked over all my old emails and the blank plus finishing, not to mention 33% import duty meant that thing worked out at four figures! :oops: Gary Seimer (VFT) moved it on quite quickly for me though, but I lost out on the hefty commissions these guys charge.

But are those blanks still being made since he passed away? I guess it was Burkheimer rolling them for him (and also finishing some of them) so he must have the rights.

Just checked out the TMR site, it's still going and taken over presumably by the guy who was trained by Tom.

Last edited:

sean freeman

I always thought Mike McFarland rolled the Tom Morgan blanks? Don’t know where I heard that tbh though. Mike makes a great taper and supplies most of the glass industry so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Beacon Beige

I have 2 Rawson Glass Rods
S Glass Builds , Adam does only S Glass , CTS are one of the blanks he uses , Super to cast and both £325.00 without Tube!
Wonderfull to play fish on!
You can bend these tip to butt without breaking , I never realised the strength of S Glass!

Col

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stevel

I always thought Mike McFarland rolled the Tom Morgan blanks? Don’t know where I heard that tbh though. Mike makes a great taper and supplies most of the glass industry so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Uncas

I must say the rods with the nicest finish that I have seen so far are rods by Graywolf.
And W. Jude fly rod co.
Also Steffen bros, I would like any of them.

stevel

I must say the rods with the nicest finish that I have seen so far are rods by Graywolf.
And W. Jude fly rod co.
Also Steffen bros, I would like any of them.
I was (re)introduced to glass when I went down to spend a day with Taniwha many years back fishing with glass on SDAC waters. As I recall he had some Steffen rods, and they were very capable - they almost cast themselves. He fished with my bamboo and me his glass. When I said that I was interested in having a Winston glass built up, he said for finishing Graywolf was good, but Leiderman was in another level. I must admit it was the best finished rod along with the Japanese Kagerow I had, I've ever seen.