Rawson Glass Rod

stevel

I must say the rods with the nicest finish that I have seen so far are rods by Graywolf.
And W. Jude fly rod co.
Also Steffen bros, I would like any of them.
Have you ever seen/cast an Ijuin? I saw him at the Alternative stand at the last (ultimate) London Fly show and cast a nice green 7' 3wt (I think). It felt very nice, it was obviously very pretty and beautifully finished and very capable - though that was indoors at the Islington Design centre, not out on a stream. He gave us his card, and said that he could still get Kineya reels through him. From the blurb, apparently his friend Masa of Kineya makes his reel seat hardware and the tube (though has ceased commercial production of his reels).

If I were ever to entertain another glass rod it would be one of these, with an appropriate Kineya reel - for those little wildies at Amwell (or wishfully a pretty little "home" stream in Japan)!

Last edited:

stevel

There’s an Ijuin for sale in the classifieds ;)
A striking rod, is the black handle cork, or synthetic cork used by many builders for accent?
At present my heart set on a #3 Yomogi, but thanks for the heads up!

sean freeman

A striking rod, is the black handle cork, or synthetic cork used by many builders for accent?
At present my heart set on a #3 Yomogi, but thanks for the heads up!
It’s foam, very comfortable grip. Chris Barclay and a few others have built rods with similar grips as has Nico at Yamame. The Yomogi had a much more relaxed feeling compared to the hard para. I love the 3wt yomogi and hard para, I wish I’d gotten mine in a 3wt as I have way too many 4’s.

stevel

It’s foam, very comfortable grip. Chris Barclay and a few others have built rods with similar grips as has Nico at Yamame. The Yomogi had a much more relaxed feeling compared to the hard para. I love the 3wt yomogi and hard para, I wish I’d gotten mine in a 3wt as I have way too many 4’s.
OK Thanks, I'm sure it's comfortable, it just reminds me of the EVA foam handle on rods in the 70's!
I really like parabolics and semis. Most of my Winstons when I did fish graphite were semis, and the Kagerow #3 was a penta parabolic. My most used bamboo spey is a regressed taper.
I think glass in a 3 is the perfect situation for glass (IMHO), probably why they're so popular in Japan.