Re-discovering coarse fish on a dry fly

jerryrum

It is strange to say, but my opportunities for fishing have been limited by not going to work. I would have assumed that working from home would have given me more freedom, but there is always a lawn to cut or washing up to do, so I have not been out on the river as much as usual lately.

I have now started going back to the office (once a fortnight, I don't want to get carried away), and fortunately there is an attitude that 3pm is the new 5pm, so I was able to leave early and stop off at the river on the way home.

Any fishing I have done, this year, has been trips away to trout rivers. This was my first chance to cast dries, to coarse fish, on a sunny summers afternoon.

Br3a.PNG

Whilst I'm not going to try and claim that the Gt Ouse is as picturesque as a chalk river, or as inviting as a freestone stream, it can have it's own quiet beauty in the right conditions.

I have always enjoyed fishing downstream of old bridges, so as I waded out and unhooked my fly, I felt an immediate sense of contentment, tinged with excitement as I saw a fish rise to a natural.

I am glad to say the fishing matched the scenery and I was in to my first fish on my second cast

Br1.PNG

Before I disturbed the swim too much, I was hooking up about every other cast, and even had two on at once (I'd put on two flies as I couldn't see what naturals the fish were taking. A generic brown with orange tag and a black ant. tbh I think the fish would have gone for anything small and insect like).

None of them were big, but I just felt lucky to be mid stream, with the sun on my back, catching fish.

Whilst I will still travel for hours and pay for accommodation for dedicated fishing holidays when I get the chance, I must remember the delights of the waters I have on my own doorstep and be thankful that I am lucky enough to grab these odd hours of more subtle joy.

Br2a.PNG

Attachments

• Br3a.PNG
    Br3a.PNG
    532.4 KB · Views: 35

iainmortimer

Love the report and photo's. Many years ago (in my teens) I used to fish further downstream at Kempston - Kempston AC had a fair bit of water with a lovely backwater and I still have a bit of a love for it.

William Hurst

It is strange to say, but my opportunities for fishing have been limited by not going to work. I would have assumed that working from home would have given me more freedom, but there is always a lawn to cut or washing up to do, so I have not been out on the river as much as usual lately.

I have now started going back to the office (once a fortnight, I don't want to get carried away), and fortunately there is an attitude that 3pm is the new 5pm, so I was able to leave early and stop off at the river on the way home.

Any fishing I have done, this year, has been trips away to trout rivers. This was my first chance to cast dries, to coarse fish, on a sunny summers afternoon.

View attachment 42506

Whilst I'm not going to try and claim that the Gt Ouse is as picturesque as a chalk river, or as inviting as a freestone stream, it can have it's own quiet beauty in the right conditions.

I have always enjoyed fishing downstream of old bridges, so as I waded out and unhooked my fly, I felt an immediate sense of contentment, tinged with excitement as I saw a fish rise to a natural.

I am glad to say the fishing matched the scenery and I was in to my first fish on my second cast

View attachment 42507

Before I disturbed the swim too much, I was hooking up about every other cast, and even had two on at once (I'd put on two flies as I couldn't see what naturals the fish were taking. A generic brown with orange tag and a black ant. tbh I think the fish would have gone for anything small and insect like).

None of them were big, but I just felt lucky to be mid stream, with the sun on my back, catching fish.

Whilst I will still travel for hours and pay for accommodation for dedicated fishing holidays when I get the chance, I must remember the delights of the waters I have on my own doorstep and be thankful that I am lucky enough to grab these odd hours of more subtle joy.

View attachment 42512
It looks a nice stretch of water enjoy.

Latest posts