Really small flies

skajtrout

Morning fellas,

Any suggestions as to where I can buy really small flies, size 22 and smaller.

Skaj

Last edited:

kerryjordan

Richard at Barbless Flies has some in size 24.
I tie my own but I have bought from him and the flies are very good, tied on good hooks and the service is excellent. Post free as well!

GEK79

Richard at Barbless Flies has some in size 24.
I tie my own but I have bought from him and the flies are very good, tied on good hooks and the service is excellent. Post free as well!
I'd second barbless flies.. 👌👌

skajtrout

Cheers fellas, trouble is they appear to be out of stock on a big chunk of their Stillwater range.

Ideally I’m after some Hares Ear Nymphs/Diawl Bachs in a size 22 or 24.

Skaj

roger h 10

Cheers fellas, trouble is they appear to be out of stock on a big chunk of their Stillwater range.

Ideally I’m after some Hares Ear Nymphs/Diawl Bachs in a size 22 or 24.

Skaj
Give me a few days Skaj and I'll try to knock you a few up. Do you have any preference for ribbing colours on the Diawls? Do you want the Hares Ears weighted? if so with what colour and size of bead?

I might have to use size 20's if that's Okay as I am having difficulty finding #22 & 24 hooks that I'm happy with. I do have some but I don't use them as they tend to straighten out.
If anybody can reccomend anything please let me know.

Last edited:

skajtrout

Roger, that's really kind of you mate. Size 20 would be ok if you're happy with the hook strength, I know it's difficult getting decent strength hooks in the smaller sizes. The ribbing colour on the Diawls would be however close to Hares Ear you can get and the Nymphs are unweighted.

Thanks again mate, top man.

Skaj

roger h 10

Roger, that's really kind of you mate. Size 20 would be ok if you're happy with the hook strength, I know it's difficult getting decent strength hooks in the smaller sizes. The ribbing colour on the Diawls would be however close to Hares Ear you can get and the Nymphs are unweighted.

Thanks again mate, top man.

Skaj
Okay I'll get started later in the week,I'll let you know when I've got some ready. I'm happy with the hook strength on what I use, I had a 5lb + Brown on the #18 and the hook was perfect after I landed it.

catzrob

I bought some from member Arian. Not had a chance to use yet but nice flies.

roger h 10

I got these done today Skaj. Some are better than others but I'm sure they'll all catch fish. PM me your address and I'll send them off when I go in to town next.
Let me know how you get on with them.
Sorry some of the pics aren't particularly clear but I couldn't be bothered to get a tripod set up. There's also a couple of small PTN's there.DSC_0133.JPGDSC_0135.JPGDSC_0136.JPGDSC_0137.JPG

Last edited:

roger h 10

Anything less than say 18 how do you thread it. I can struggle with a 16
I always try to buy flies with oversize eyes where possible, I also have a C&F threader box and place flies ready on the threaders. With the really tiny ones #24-#30 I tie them on to a short length of looped tippet before I leave home. (y)

skajtrout

And that there good people is why I love this forum, in no other part of life do I come across such generosity of spirit. Bless you Roger mate, may all your drinks be doubles.

Skaj