Recipe for the klink in a "klink & dink"?

bob_the_fish

Hi
I have been exchanging some messages with @Mr Notherone and he reminded me to maybe try klink & dink for my grayling fishing later in the week.
I would like to tie some klinks especially for this - eg; extra buoyant
Anyone got any favourite recipes for an easy buoyant klink especially for this?
Even tips on adding a 2mm tippet ring if possible :)

Thanks

Vermontdrifter

You can always tie the hackle using a foam post which will add to the buoyancy or put a small strip of foam under the thorax, otherwise just tie a very dense hackle.

whitehorses

not . that id know anything about this kinda stuff,but should the tying of the klinks size be in relation to the dinks weight, (what hooks do you recommend and size )
should the hooks be big enough and bouyant enough to carry the weight of the tethered dink ,
what size are these klinks and dinks usually ? im assuming the dinks shouldnt drag the klink under is this correct ?
further more do the klinks only act as a visual aid for the dink with the added bonus of having a hook
am i right in saying klinkhammer hooks are ment to be big ?

danielp

not . that id know anything about this kinda stuff,but should the tying of the klinks size be in relation to the dinks weight, (what hooks do you recommend and size )
should the hooks be big enough and bouyant enough to carry the weight of the tethered dink ,
what size are these klinks and dinks usually ? im assuming the dinks shouldnt drag the klink under is this correct ?
further more do the klinks only act as a visual aid for the dink with the added bonus of having a hook
am i right in saying klinkhammer hooks are ment to be big ?
I fish two very different systems of klink and dink for different situations. The first is my favourite with a "normal" dry fly and lightly weighted nymph. The dry fly does not ever suspend the nymph and it couldnt if asked. Short drifts with the dry fly both taking fish and acting as an indicator for takes to the nymph. Can be absolutely deadly when fish are taking flies higher in the water. For this I mainly use Oppos in various sizes and not tied heavily at all.

The second is mainly reserved for grayling in deeper pools with larger nymphs truly suspended under massive foam and deer hair dry flies which are not intended to take fish themselves (and very rarely take grayling). This is more in line with using the bung style indicators and can be effective in the right water types, I use anything from a size 12 CDC and Elk to a size 8 bung fly with half a booby cord as a wing depending on the size of the nymphs needed to get to depth.

Playing with a few other variations this winter after watching some very successful guys using a slightly different setup for different reasons but time will tell if that gets added to the quiver.

baztek1

might be worth having a look at dave downies you tube channel for his indicator klink and dink video, they float very well and can hold up a lot of tungsten

bob_the_fish

Well team, I went fishing today with my homemade 'klink and dink' based on all of the advice on the thread. I used poly yarn doubled over a couple of times to make an unsinkable post! Not pretty but it definitely floats. I also tied in a loop of 18lb maxim to make a little tying in point for the nymph (instead of the tippet ring some people use).
Fished with 5x down to the klink and then 7x down to a size 16 weighted PTN
Result: 7 grayling + 2 WBT
Very successful day and thanks for all the advice - I am sold on K&D :)

vandiemen

As someone on the wrong side of 70, my eyes are not what they used to be and I easily lose sight of my dries and klinks on the water.
I now tie my dry and klink posts with strike indicator yarn, which floats all day long and I can see it at 20 yards

bob_the_fish

As someone on the wrong side of 70, my eyes are not what they used to be and I easily lose sight of my dries and klinks on the water.
I now tie my dry and klink posts with strike indicator yarn, which floats all day long and I can see it at 20 yards
Yes I agree. I think my 'poly yarn' is working the same way.
I might even try a different colour on some - when fishing in the 'foam line' my white klink is still hard to spot!!

Vermontdrifter

And if you go out west in the States it’s not Klink and dink but a hopper-copper. So a foam terrestrial and a copper john.