Recommend me a super light nymphing rod

daniport

Another vote for Loomis and Franklin IM7 10´ #2 for a start off rod for long line nymphing. Well balanced and handles fish up to 4lbs.

If you want to spend more money then look at Marryat or Maxia.

kingf000

Why not make your own rod up? It's much simpler than you might imagine. I've just bought a Next 10ft 2wt blank (44g) plus cork handle for £43. I'll be drilling out a couple of wine corks for the reel seat, which with plastic reel holders that should give me a handle weight of about 20g. With rec recoil guides and a seymo tip ring for about £40 the total weight of the rod should be less than 70g for an outlay of £90, lighter than the Sage ESN and for a 10th of the price. I'll actually be making my own nitinol rod rings for ~£5 so for me, the cost is about £65!

fishing hobo

Why do you need a special rod for 'nymphing'? I don't understand why a normal rod cannot be used to cast a sinking fly as well as a floating one..... I don't see the difference. What is so special about a 'nymphing rod' and why can't that rod be used for fishing dry flies as well as wet ones?
You don't....
8ft 3''.

Just to answer the op I have held a cortland competition nymph rod mkll I think and it was so damned light! I have too many rods, I will stick to 9ft or shorter rods for nymphing.

Mrwayne

I recommend a maxia sx 10'8 #2 and #3 as basically the ultimate all round nymph rod.

They are a little expensive though second to that both the vision nymphomaniac 10' and 11' are just as good. Actually amazing for their price they can't be beaten.

Shorter rods I'd go for a zephrus Ultralite or Streamflex plus.

dougieb

Well, having told everyone about the deal I got on the Orvis Recon 10' 3wt, it's gone before it even flicked a fly. Garage broken into and 7 rods nicked.

dougieb

Yeah, insured, but a complete pain. Two of the rods were custom build (by me) on winston blanks BIIIX and BIIX, not sure how they will be valued.

liphook

Nightmare! I'd get a quote from someone like Renee at Foxtons or Stan at Alba Rods. The worst thing I lost was all my flies - hundreds of hours of tying nevermind the materials involved. Still recovering 10 years later

dougieb

All the flies being nicked would have been worse. They were in plain sight but they chose not to take them. I'm surprised they targeted the rods, there were 4 kids bikes and a good set of golf clubs that were left

dougieb

Nightmare! I'd get a quote from someone like Renee at Foxtons or Stan at Alba Rods. The worst thing I lost was all my flies - hundreds of hours of tying nevermind the materials involved. Still recovering 10 years later
One of the Winston blanks (BIIX) was bought from Renee at Foxtons. The only rod that they left was a Winston 7' 3wt that I built on a WT blank that I also got from Renee. I have been building a number of glass rods on Taniwha's blanks, that I had planned to use instead of superfines and cult. Guess I'd better get a move on.