Recommend me some chest waders

jaybeegee

I got three seasons of good use out of a pair of Grey’s Stratas with a couple of minor seam leaks, easily repaired, but this year they leaked more seriously in one of the bootees. Replaced with Vision Koski Zips, which are much lighter and more comfortable; the front zip makes them a breeze to get on and off...not to mention the ease of comfort breaks. 🙂
B

ROVER

Trade Member
They can be as expensive of as cheap as you want, from £20-30 to £700. Id say budget on upto £300 for a good stocking foot zip up breathable pair of decent quality. If youre going for stocking foots dont skimp on the boots either as a cheap pair might only last a season. I've tried a few brands of boot and the best and most durable by far in my price range that ive had are . I've used vision ikon breathables for as long as I can remember, the last 3 pairs being zip ups. I'm sure I must have had 5 or 6 seasons from the pair before the ones I've got now aswell. Recommend Zip ups if your into fishing wide rivers, you don't need to get to the bank when nature calls if nobody's around if you know what I mean ;) :whistle:

revo

thanks chaps, I guess you get what you pay for! I seldom wade but could have done with some on Friday when I had a big brown in deep hole and it ran off into the reeds at the far bank. That same day I found a tick on my hat and it made me think "no more shorts and crocs"

I'm thinking of going cheap (understanding that they might not be much good) but I hadn't thought of the zip issue! That's one wet fly!

Sash

I think it depends on the nature of your fishing, and particularly:
- the sort of wading you are going to be doing (big, fast rivers? mossy rocks vs shingle? If so, there is a case for decent wading boots with felt/stud soles.)
- How much walking out of the water? (Are you really concerned about getting a bit sweaty inside the waders?)
- Brambles and general scrub-bashing? (Go cheap!)

I fish for Sewin in west Wales, and bass on sandy surf beaches. I have 2 pairs of cheap PVC/nylon waders: under £100 for the pair, and I rotate them so that they have a bit of time to dry out (!), and I have time to repair the inevitable leaks after a night of bashing through brambles.
I walk 2-3 miles a night, and put footbeds/orthotics in for comfort.

I have a nice pair of Orvis waders and boots, but seldom wear them: brambles by the river and sand in the sea would utterly trash them and their boots!

revo

Good points thanks. Not big, fast rivers but, yes, lots of brambles. I'm a regular user of footbeds/orthotics (not wearing shoes during lockdown has played havoc with my flat feet).

Last edited:

rabmax

I am still wearing my heavy duty Vass waders.Havent bothered taking my Visions down from the loft.Even in the hot weather they seem ok.Not sweating too much.I fosh rivers though & not walking massive distances.They are bulletproof waders.
I am

speytime

Vision appear to be very popular and highly regarded, but as already said not suitable for all situations, the vass/ocean are also popular waders due to very hard wearing.
Breathables are great and light but certainly no barrier to sweating no waders can release at the rate you produce when it warm, then when breathable are wet they don't breathe at all, so weight imo is the real benefit but breathable is a bonus.

Al

kingf000

thanks chaps, I guess you get what you pay for! I seldom wade but could have done with some on Friday when I had a big brown in deep hole and it ran off into the reeds at the far bank. That same day I found a tick on my hat and it made me think "no more shorts and crocs"

I'm thinking of going cheap (understanding that they might not be much good) but I hadn't thought of the zip issue! That's one wet fly!
If you are only going to use them occasionally and so don't want to spend a lot of money, I've found the Ron Thompson neoprene booted chest waders fine. Lasted for years and only gave up because I kept folding them up into its bag. Yes, you get sweatier in neoprene waders so not great if you are doing a lot of walking in hot weather and they don't have a zip!

speytime

The 1st pair of waders I bought were leeda neoprene boot foot, i used them constantly for 2 seasons before buying breathable waders, imo neoprene is better for late season through into late spring.
With breathables you need a fortune's worth of thermals to spend a comfortable day's wading in cold frosty days.

Al

Mrtrout

I got three seasons of good use out of a pair of Grey’s Stratas with a couple of minor seam leaks, easily repaired, but this year they leaked more seriously in one of the bootees. Replaced with Vision Koski Zips, which are much lighter and more comfortable; the front zip makes them a breeze to get on and off...not to mention the ease of comfort breaks. 🙂
B

do you rate the Koskis B, they are probably my next purchase.
My Ikons have been great until the zip jammed but I’m hoping the new zips will be better.
S.

jaybeegee

do you rate the Koskis B, they are probably my next purchase.
My Ikons have been great until the zip jammed but I’m hoping the new zips will be better.
S.
Yes I like them Steven, they are the first zip fronts I’ve had and a great success so far after a dozen or so outings. They were so much lighter and the fabric softer than I’d previously worn that I was doubtful about their durability at first, but no problems at all so far. They dry quickly too.

B

Spider

Revo between big browns in deep holes and wet flies I thought this had changed from a fishing blog to a continence one :)

daniport

It really is hit or miss. I have had Vision Ikons that lasted me for years. I bought some Simms G4s and they only lasted 2 seasons (maybe 100 days use).. then bought some Orvis Silver Sonics and they are going very well. I have just bought some Orvis encounters (to leave with family who we visit once a year and I slip off for an odd days fishing) and they seem good for the money but havent really put them to the test yet. You dont need to spend big to get good waders

black jungle

I have just got a new pair of Simms G3 , wore them today for the first time today..These are some of the finest waders made,but I have always used Simms Mabye I am a bit bias...

revo

Just got some Vass 600 -- less heavy duty and cheaper than the 700.

Hoping to hit the Dove tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on . . . .

jedifly

Henry Gilbey gives a good write up on the Vass waders here....