Recommendations for 9ft 4wt

grey duster

Hello again everyone.
Moved down from the NW England to the Cheltenham area in the last couple of years and seriously going back to fly fishing. I used to fish rivers like the Ribble, Hodder and Wenning and my go-to rods for Spiders and Dry Fly were different versions of 5 wt or 5/6wt or (in one case) a B&W Featherlite 5/7 wt (lovely slow action) all typically 9ft. I now will be fishing the Cotswold limestone tributaries of the Thames and these rods are overgunned and I am looking for an 8ft 6"- 9ft 4wt budget up to around £200 but would stretch a bit further if necessary for the right rod. Would be grateful for any recommendations.
Thanks in anticipation.
GD

Mrtrout

Hello GD, haven’t heard from you in a long time, so you’ve moved south eh.
i use a Sage SP 9ft #4 for my spider fishing, lovely through action always a pleasure to use. They can still be found but are holding a decent price.
S.

grey duster

Hello GD, haven’t heard from you in a long time, so you’ve moved south eh.
i use a Sage SP 9ft #4 for my spider fishing, lovely through action always a pleasure to use. They can still be found but are holding a decent price.
S.
Thanks - will have a look and keep eye open!

Vermontdrifter

If you can find a second hand Vision Cult 9’ 4 weight that would fit the bill. Light, medium heading towards slow action but plenty of power in the butt to control the fish.

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
If you’re buying new, an Orvis Clearwater 9’#4 is a good rod in your budget. It’s a good general purpose rod on small medium sized rivers when you could be doing anything and everything in the course of a day. It’s always in the boot just in case. THe updated range isn’t out long (with horrible white livery on the butt section) so you’ll get a second hand one of the previous edition for much less.

grey duster

Thanks everyone - I will have a look at the options suggested and feedback on what I decide to do.

Secret Angler

Clearwaters are quite good, also Fulling Mill but they don't seem to make them anymore. Both good value. But I think it's better to go along and try a few somewhere. I've always found rods to suit me best that way.

JCP

Would seriously look at the Vision Onki. I bought one on a whim last season really not needing another rod and it is still here. Not in the weight you seek but fishing the rod leads me to think a 4wt could be well worth consideration within the budget.

Andrew Rourke

Snowbee Prestige, superb all rounder and as already posted, an absolute bargain just now due to the newer model being out.
Vision Onki is another belter of a rod for the money.
Spoiled for choice of very good rods in your price range these days.

roger h 10

I have a 9'#4 Vision Onki and it is a superb rod as is the Vision SISU albeit at a higher price. I would also look at the new Guideline Elevation which is a fair bit cheaper than the Onki. I have just bought 3 of them in 9'#5 and 9'9" and 9' #6 weights, they are brilliant, very light and cast like a dream. John Norris is giving away a free reel with them at the moment.

GEK79

I have a 9'#4 Vision Onki and it is a superb rod as is the Vision SISU albeit at a higher price. I would also look at the new Guideline Elevation which is a fair bit cheaper than the Onki. I have just bought 3 of them in 9'#5 and 9'9" and 9' #6 weights, they are brilliant, very light and cast like a dream. John Norris is giving away a free reel with them at the moment.
I've just had a look may by that setup payday great price thanks for sharing

roger h 10

Wait until tomorrow as the past two Sundays they've had a 24 hour special discount of 20%.

Don't get confused with the older Elevate, a good rod but the Elevation is better.

grey duster

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I took some local advice as well (and based on actual rod length trials with a coach) and eventually went for a shorter rod; as I have an 8ft 4 wt I opted for 8ft 6" which I actually found quite restrictive in terms of selection and have ordered an Orvis Clearwater taking into account Running Bear's suggestion - I could be doing anything during the course of a day. I will post back with experience when I have tried it. I valued the suggestions very much - thanks to everyone and I'm impressed with the range of Vision Rods in particular - I have a Vision Vipu 6ft6" 3wt.