Recommendations for a 9’ #6 rod for Stillwater?

pipsull

I currently have a greys gr70 9’6” #7 and an Orvis Recon 9’ #5 rod. I’m thinking of getting a 9’ #6 and was looking at the Orvis Clearwater as an option.

Anyone got any other recommendations at around that price point?

I tend to fish stillwater, bank, boat and kayak (when available!)

Cheers,

Pippa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anzac

I have a Grey's GR70 #6 that I like for reservoir and lough bank fishing. I also have a Gordon 2 9' #6 that I has yet to see the water.

pati

Hi,

Depends on what you expect from a 9’ 6wt.

I love 9’ 6wt as they are to me the quintessential versatile trout rods if beyond the usual techniques big fishes/large streamers are in the realm of possibles. I would say however that for Stillwater i would rather go to a 10’ 6wt to facilitate long leaders with multiple flies. But good 10’ 6wt are very hard to find.

For Stillwater I typically use à Guideline Fario CRS 9’ 6wt, in 6 sections. Not the prettiest rod but it does everything from casting a super long leader with a size 24 caenis dry to 3-4buzzer rigs, to double streamer rigs on floating line.
For bigger streamers or heavier lines I switch to a 10’ 7wt.

Another rod that s good for that is the old Sage SP although a tad heavy in hand.

Best available 9’ 6wt are the good old Redington NTi and Loomis GLX classic. I réserve those for river/wild fish though as they are irreplaceable and I couldn’t forgive myself to break one on a day fishing for stockies! In more modern rods the Stickman T6 seems to come close to the 2 legendary rods just mentioned, but gosh are those modern rods expensive for mass production stuff (when I have the money I have no issue paying that sort of price for a bamboo rod that took countless hours to be made by hand by a master craftsman...).

roger h 10

Definitely consider the new Guideline Elevation. I have one and it is sooooo smooth. Very easy to cast and very light at 74 grams but with so much feel that it is an absolute delight to cast.

I think that Guideline are on to a real winner here if the speed that John Norris are selling them at is anything to go by.

pipsull

Thanks for the replies so far folks, definitely some great ideas!

Roger, I don’t suppose you know how the Guideline Elevation stacks up next to the Orvis Clearwater? I’ve tried looking for reviews but as most reviewers seem to be US based there don’t seem many for the Guideline rods...

The Elevation is essentially the same price as the Clearwater (John Norris’ current offer notwithstanding) so I’m wondering what difference there is, if any...

Pippa

keef68

The Daiwa Airity X45 in 9’ 6wt is a cracker. Currently discounted to around £180 instead of £340. For some reason it’s called the River Special, but you’d be over gunned using it on any river I know. Ideal for small Stillwater fishing though.

Another option if you could stretch the budget a little bit more, is the Loop Cross SX in 9’ 6wt. Currently on offer direct from Loop at £360 instead of £720. Stunning rod.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roger h 10

Thanks for the replies so far folks, definitely some great ideas!

Roger, I don’t suppose you know how the Guideline Elevation stacks up next to the Orvis Clearwater? I’ve tried looking for reviews but as most reviewers seem to be US based there don’t seem many for the Guideline rods...

The Elevation is essentially the same price as the Clearwater (John Norris’ current offer notwithstanding) so I’m wondering what difference there is, if any...

Pippa

Hi Pippa, I can't find the weight of the Clearwater anywhere which is unusual, however having tried one of the earlier ones I would think that it's probably quite a bit heavier than the Guideline. The Clearwater is also £50 dearer than the Elevation plus you get a free reel with the Guideline. The Guideline is a new model which doesn't seem to have had many ,if any. reviews as yet.

I have owned a lot of rods in the past 30 years many from some of the top manufacturers and I would stack these rods up against the best of them. I particularly like the nice slim grip, I have fairly small hands and find a lot of the Full Wells handles fitted to some rods uncomfortable whereas I can fish the Guideline rods in 9' or 9'9" lengths all day without any discomfort.

Obviously the Orvis comes with a very good 25 year warranty but other than that I can see no reason to buy the Clearwater over the Guideline.

Hope this is of help.

Just remembered that I let another angler try my 9'9" #6 as he was looking to replace the Clearwater that he was using. He was amazed at the weight and how easy it was to cast,in fact he was so impressed that he ordered one from John Norris as we were speaking.

Last edited:

roger h 10

I have a 10’5wt clearwater which is an excellent rod also if you are looking for a good 10’6wt the Vision Onki is also a very good rod imo
I would agree with that as I have one of these too however the Guideline is a lot lighter than the Onki so less tiring to fish with.
Both are excellent rods though.

pipsull

The guideline offer on John Norris has obviously been well received as most are now sold! :)

I’ve snapped up a 9ft 5wt to try against my Recon, and will then see if I want to get a 9’9” 6wt, assuming there’s still stock somewhere! :)

roger h 10

The guideline offer on John Norris has obviously been well received as most are now sold! :)

I’ve snapped up a 9ft 5wt to try against my Recon, and will then see if I want to get a 9’9” 6wt, assuming there’s still stock somewhere! :)

Let me know how you get on with your new rod, I haven't used my #5 weight yet other than on grass where it felt great.

John Norris are getting deliveries of these rods pretty much every week so you shouldn't have to wait long if you do secide to go for a 9'9"#6.

pipsull

Will do Roger!

Btw I found a blog (chucking fluff.com) that had a rod review page listing the weight of the Clearwater. It lists the 9ft 5wt as 3.25oz, which is around 92g, 20g heavier than the Elevation...

I’ll bookmark the John Norris site and keep checking back on availability.... :)

roger h 10

Will do Roger!

Btw I found a blog (chucking fluff.com) that had a rod review page listing the weight of the Clearwater. It lists the 9ft 5wt as 3.25oz, which is around 92g, 20g heavier than the Elevation...

I’ll bookmark the John Norris site and keep checking back on availability.... :)

92 grams? that's the same weight as the 9'9" #6 Elevation. Told you they were light!! :) (y)

beanieboy

The Loop SX 9'#6 is superb. Fast, but not too fast, with loads of feel. Very light in the hand, but has plenty of power. I love my Sage One 9'6"#6, but playing/landing fish is much more pleasant with the Loop.

chukka

10ft 6wt Loop SX is sublime. Very light in the hand, doesn't feel its length,delicate tip but enough power, sold a 6wt Zephrus and no regrets in the slightest. Puts a good line out with 2 false casts.