Recommendations for a Large Arbour Reel 7/8

Flyfussin

Hi All,

Im looking to buy a decent Large Arbour reel, one thats not too heavy and ideally comes with maybe a spare spool or two.

Use will be Salmon and Pike mainly but Trout also on the lake on a single handed rod.

Was looking at buying new but second hand might be smarter so I'm also keeping an eye out on Ebay, although prices seem to fluctuate massively on there.

Had been looking at Sage, Loop, Lamson, Airflo, Greys, Hardy; but Im sure Im very out of touch with newer brands and models on the market so any suggestions or pointers would be great!

Budget is around 250-300 and ideally would include at least one spool although the budget might have to be revisited for the brands mentioned above! If there is something cheaper that can be recommended, even better! But Im probably looking second hand.

Any recommendations would be great as there seems to be a plethora of reels on the market 😵

tierradelfuego

Lamson Remix or Liquid would be good to take a look at, can’t remember if both come as a 3 pack, reel and 2 spools, but both are reasonably priced even in size 3.5 or 4 which is where you’d be headed to. From memory the Liquid is under £200.

Edit - just looked and seems they have changed the model numbers so a 7 or 9 plus, the liquid price above was about right, the remix 3 pack is nearer £300

Last edited:

tierradelfuego

My other suggestion would be a Redington Behemoth, another great reel at a great price. No 3 pack option but probably a more robust reel when going up from Trout to Salmon/pike.

original cormorant

I bought a maxcatch saltwater fully machined reel with a good drag and 2 spare spools for £100. I went for top of the range. I'd advise getting a larger size than one labelled 7/8, you're unlikely to notice a marginal increase in weight and will not regret the extra capacity.

Gdog

If you want spare spools, try either the Hardy ASR 7000 about £300 or a Snowbee Spectre 7/8 cassette reel about £200, shop around and you will get discounts on both.
The Snowbee is considerably lighter and has good capacity fof backing.

Flyfussin

Lamson Remix or Liquid would be good to take a look at, can’t remember if both come as a 3 pack, reel and 2 spools, but both are reasonably priced even in size 3.5 or 4 which is where you’d be headed to. From memory the Liquid is under £200.

Edit - just looked and seems they have changed the model numbers so a 7 or 9 plus, the liquid price above was about right, the remix 3 pack is nearer £300

Thanks very much tierradelfuego! I really like the look of the Lamson reels, they look very well built and finished for the money too. Your advice will help me focus in on some reviews before I purchase.

Never even thought of the Behemoth either but it looks like a really strong reel. Might be one that could pop up second hand also.

Sturdy, light and with a decent drag seem to be boxes well ticked with all three, although the reddington does look beefier.

Really appreciate your help! 👍

Flyfussin

I bought a maxcatch saltwater fully machined reel with a good drag and 2 spare spools for £100. I went for top of the range. I'd advise getting a larger size than one labelled 7/8, you're unlikely to notice a marginal increase in weight and will not regret the extra capacity.
Thanks original cormorant!

Thats a reel I hadn't heard of but will check it out now. Price seems fantastic! Seriously good value!

Flyfussin

If you want spare spools, try either the Hardy ASR 7000 about £300 or a Snowbee Spectre 7/8 cassette reel about £200, shop around and you will get discounts on both.
The Snowbee is considerably lighter and has good capacity fof backing.

Thank you Gdog,
The Hardy looks fantastic. I hadn't heard of the snowbee but I'll check those out too. Hadn't realised snowbee were making such decent reels. I haven't been looking at fly reels for quite a while. Thanks for pointing me towards those.

Flyfussin

Danielsson from Sweden. Direct from the factory - they do a great range of bulletproof reels popular with guides, without the retail markup. Excellent choice between £190 - £250.

www.danielsson-flyreels.se

Cheers Kerryjordan!

Another brand I hadn't thought of and hadn't heard of either. :) going to check those out this evening.

So glad I put this post up as its given me more choice and more research to do before I purchase. 👍

JCP

My boat partner bought the Lamson Liquid pack.Hard to beat in value for money terms.I missed a Liquid pack on the forum a short while back.Certainly don't need any more reels but would have bought it.One of my cassette sets in the 7/8 size came from Snowbee years ago and has stood the test of time.Good company and competitive prices.

JP

JoeOh

I have been very satisfied with the pair of Greys GTS500 reels that I have used for a number of seasons. I use the #7/8/9 model. Large arbor, cassette reel with great drag, complete with two spare cassette spools for £49.99 (GAC).
If you want a pricier version, Greys do a QRS bar stock casette reel (4 cassettes, 2 x 5/6 & 2 x#7/8) at £119.99. Also a salmon version (2 x #9/10 & 2 x #11/12 casettes) at £139.99. I have not tried the QRS as I am totally satisfied with the GTS500s.
Though probably OK for pike, I purchased a smallish salmon reel to accommodate the fast sinking lines I use on the reservoirs. An Airflow Sniper #9/11 does the job and though I cannot remember the price, certainly way under £100. Airflow have the Delta #9/10 reel at £49.99 and Wychwood the Truefly #9/11 and I believe in comes with two spare spools.
You would probably need the bigger reels if you took on the Western Lough pike.

original cormorant

Thanks original cormorant!

Thats a reel I hadn't heard of but will check it out now. Price seems fantastic! Seriously good value!
Maxcatch are seriously good value, but delivery can be slow or verrry slow. Mine arrived within less than 2 weeks. Check out the maxcatch thread on here - its a mix of rapture about the value and rage about the delivery process. It will also give you discount codes for discounts upto 20%. Mine is an FMD, which isn't on the main maxcatch site - just do google searches to find different ways to buy maxcatch products - you can pay less by doing searches or pay more and get faster delivery

raphael

I said "no need for comment" but it seems I'm wrong. That's very high quality gear directly sold by the manufacturer, therefore you do not pay for advertising, for labelling, for the brand, and hence it is affordable. I have several for all kind of fishing (chub, grayling, trout, salmon, tarpon, seabass, carp, pike...) and what I did to them is very severe and they never failed. After sale is also excellent.

R

easker1

I have an SKB 6/8 cassette reel super light I use this on my 5wt and have done for a few years, super reel , easker1