Recommendations for a small reel

Prolifichare

Evening all. I've just finished building a 6' 2wt glass rod and obviously now need a new reel for it. Been toying with the idea of a Battenkill 1 70mm or Danielsson midge/nymph 83mm diameter. Something between those diameters would be nice.

Any other small reels to be looking at? Also interested in second hand if anyone is looking to sell such a thing.

Cheers

Mrtrout

Hardy FWDD 1000 or Ultraclick 1000 both small light reels with latest technology.
The Sage Click is nice also the Redington Zero, so many really Rog.
S.

Rhithrogena

At the cheaper end I have a mint Lochmor-s 100 and spare spool for sale.
Never been fished. 70mm 105g
IMG_20210309_080800588-01.jpeg
IMG_20210309_080838679-01.jpeg
IMG_20210309_080750698-01.jpeg

Last edited:

glosterboy

How about an old 3" Pridex.
They balance a short glass rod nicely, fairly cheaply as well. I just weighed my spare an its 147Grams

easker1

Picked up a couple of small reels on Amazon, very cheap but Ideal as a stopgap real or starter with a drag , I bought these for a young person, for very little money , £3-90, suitable for a light rod easker1

arrow

Evening all. I've just finished building a 6' 2wt glass rod and obviously now need a new reel for it. Been toying with the idea of a Battenkill 1 70mm or Danielsson midge/nymph 83mm diameter. Something between those diameters would be nice.

Any other small reels to be looking at? Also interested in second hand if anyone is looking to sell such a thing.

Cheers
I'm in a similar position having just built a 6'6 2 weight and needed a reel.
I was intending to use a Orvis Battenkill 1 but they are in short supply and prices have risen from 89 to 110. I watched one sell on Ebay yesterday for more than the it would have sold for new.
So after some research have ordered a Redington Zero which apparently is the lightest in its class.
Time will tell if it feels right on the rod but it certainly looks the part.

Mrtrout

I'm in a similar position having just built a 6'6 2 weight and needed a reel.
I was intending to use a Orvis Battenkill 1 but they are in short supply and prices have risen from 89 to 110. I watched one sell on Ebay yesterday for more than the it would have sold for new.
So after some research have ordered a Redington Zero which apparently is the lightest in its class.
Time will tell if it feels right on the rod but it certainly looks the part.
I noticed the sudden price jump on the Battenkill 1, I thought I was seeing things, it was GVM at £89 but £110 is stupid money.
I saw that one yesterday go for £94, crackers.
s.

Rhithrogena

How about an old 3" Pridex.
They balance a short glass rod nicely, fairly cheaply as well. I just weighed my spare an its 147Grams
Bombproof - they'd be collecting their pension now, and still going strong.....

Rhithrogena

A Rimfly lightweight would be great on a light glass rod. Love 'em or hate 'em a lot of us cut our teeth on them....!

Rhithrogena

An underrated vintage classic is a Hardy Viscount 130 mkll - only 85g and really well made. Diecast for Hardy's from the Morritt's stable that became BFR in Falmouth. I have two and 4 spools and use them for all my 2/3 wt lines. 81mm and 120g with DT3 and backing.
Very tight tolerances and silky Hardy click tones. I bought my first with a 7' Graphite Smuggler in 1982 with saved up weekend job money and fell in love.
Sneered at by collectors of proper Alnwick Hardy's but great little reels imo....
IMG_20210309_201132077-01.jpeg
IMG_20210309_201214896-01.jpeg
IMG_20210309_201245922-01.jpeg

arrow

I noticed the sudden price jump on the Battenkill 1, I thought I was seeing things, it was GVM at £89 but £110 is stupid money.
I saw that one yesterday go for £94, crackers.
s.

I spoke to Sportfish to see when they would be back in stock and they couldn't give an answer and thought Orvis were stopping making them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrtrout

I spoke to Sportfish to see when they would be back in stock and they couldn't give an answer and thought Orvis were stopping making them.

I’m surprised if they are, it’s not been out that long and has become a little gem since the original BBS was terminated.
S.

Jason 70

They are still available in the three sizes online from Orvis UK. But as you mentioned earlier the l is the same price now as the III which seems odd, I know when they are back in stock at Farlows/Sportfish they go out again quickly.

knoonan

I have an unused Hardy Marquis LWT 4 if you’re interested. V light and traditional reel ... just the wrong size for me.

catzrob

I've a similar sized rod bought at the very end of last season and hence unusued, currently fitted with an (unused) snowbee classic 2 which feels fine casting on grass but I worry I'm being a bit cheap putting a £20 reel on a nice rod. There's some interesting stuff on ebay at all price levels, but how great is the branding on this? I'm tempted.

Latest posts