Recommendations for Trotting rod.

volksfish

Thought I’d try a bit of trotting this winter, any recommendations for a rod, don’t want to break the bank, as it’ll only be a few times a year, cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrtrout

Thought I’d try a bit of trotting this winter, any recommendations for a rod, don’t want to break the bank, as it’ll only be a few times a year, cheers.

After having a few I bought the John Wilson Avon quiver tip with 1.25lb test curve.
it’s a fantastic rod 11Ft and handles grayling from half a pound upwards.
Look for them on eBay around £69 or less.
S.

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Think about where you are going to be using it. Everyone usually rushes in and says you need a 13ft at least. I do a bit of Grayling trotting usually in January and feb , as well as the 13ft rod I have for summer rivers I have a 10ft and an 11ft old cheap Drennan coarse rods that on smaller more overgrown streams are a lot more useful. As for what to buy I would say almost anything by Drennan will be decent .

O M W

volksfish

Think about where you are going to be using it. Everyone usually rushes in and says you need a 13ft at least. I do a bit of Grayling trotting usually in January and feb , as well as the 13ft rod I have for summer rivers I have a 10ft and an 11ft old cheap Drennan coarse rods that on smaller more overgrown streams are a lot more useful. As for what to buy I would say almost anything by Drennan will be decent .

O M W

Mainly on the Wiltshire Avon and Wylye. So reasonable size, mainly for Grayling. Yes looking at a Leeds rod on eBay at the moment.

beetlebum

I bought a Grey'sToreon 13 ft float rod for trotting last winter and it's a thing of beauty (so much so in fact that on seeing it my uncle and his mate both ordered one that evening!). I got it from Bobco Tackle in Leeds around 50 quid (half price I think) but I think you can still get them for 70, still a bargain at that price in my opinion.

Overmiwadrers

Something you may wish to have in mind is that many of the so called trotting rods are designed around the commercial fisheries ie designed for catching F1 carp and such muddy puddle lovelies . Anything like that is way to stiff for grayling. Dont get something to heavy.

O M W