Reconditioned Kelts

bobmiddlepoint

There was a hatchery on the Tay at Almonbank where kelts were reconditioned in freshwater and kept as broodstock. Salmon aren't supposed to feed in freshwater but somehow (by making train noises while spooning prawns into them?) they got them to start feeding and brought them back into condition. These fish were then stripped of eggs and milt the following autumn. I can't recall the exact details but some fish were kept for multiple years in freshwater and stripped three or four times.
I think the idea was to save going out catching broodstock every year. I'm sure I heard somewhere that the program has been discontinued. As far as I'm aware Almonbank was the only place doing it.

Reconditioned is different to mended or well mended. Mended refers to kelts that have regained their silver colour and are ready to return to sea in late winter/spring but they have not started feeding (although they take well enough).

Andy

sightbob

Just for my education, what does that mean?

Douglas
Kelt ,fish that has spawned and lost condition.
I believe it is similar to a mended kelt {fish regains health and fitness] in the river.

The differance being it mends under a controlled enviroment and used for breeding to
restock rivers.
John

codyarrow

Sounds more expensive and time consuming than catching brood stock annually?

williegunn

I'll wait till Secret Angler turns up and explains it all to us, no point in me trying to explain the benefits and pitfalls.

Laxdale

Kelt reconditioning is ongoing at Almondbank. It is debatable whether it is a waste of time or not.
A more interesting project, also involving kelt reconditioning, is the ongoing Upper Garry restoration project. I think it is of value because there will be an attempt made to quantify the results (ie what comes back).

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Kelt reconditioning is ongoing at Almondbank. It is debatable whether it is a waste of time or not.
A more interesting project, also involving kelt reconditioning, is the ongoing Upper Garry restoration project. I think it is of value because there will be an attempt made to quantify the results (ie what comes back).
In my opinion its more than worthwhile, to rivers doing same, given the current state of salmon returns.
Natal broodstock, proven to be able to make the journey, out, and back.
That is golddust in current situation.
Long may it continue.
Perhaps we should be funding same on all rivers that have returning Atlantic salmon, rather the proliferation of "research" experiments, and anti this and that projects, aimed at the survival of salmon.
regards
Bert

bobmiddlepoint

Ah, I am a bit out of the loop with the current operations of hatcheries and the like. I thought the Almondbank one was under threat but clearly not.
Anyway I don't concern myself with such things as it is only those rather inferior rivers to the south, places like the Helmsdale, that require stocking :p

scotsmac

As long as I can remember weve had hatchery, and as long as Iv been fishing, weve moaned about lack of fish. Hatcherys do they make big difference ????
What does make a difference is water clarity. And that every year gets worse. Every fisher shoild take photo of every pipe, burn, farm run off, forestry run off, then we for sure will see numbers improve.
It more dangerous falling in a river and dying fro poising than to drown.
Give them clean water and they will do better job thaan us.
It not rocket science that rivers far away from our dirty footprint, fish good, and in some cases getting better.
Every little town the river passes rubbish goes in the water, every farm has god knows what going in. I know the Welsh Sea Trout fishers have found when the intencive pig farmers spray their slurry, and yes into the river it goes, full of Antibiotics, steroids, to mention a few. But who gonna take on farmers union ? The forestry trees up the headwaters, throw acid into the water killing any life, I could go on
We drive our cars, and few bugs on windscreen, go try dig worms, they just not their
If we all monitor our stretch of river , and log and photo pollution, if we can clean the water in any way, our fish will return.
The Smolt factory is everything, and our biggest problem is rotten water