Red Squirrel

3lbgrayling

Whilst fishing tonight.I saw a Great display of a red squirrel.on the banks of the lake. it was running back and forward amongst a huge flock of just fledged Greylag geese. the geese did not seem to be bothered by the squirrel. which eventually climbed a tree. ending the viewing.a great viewing

Jim

glueman

At one point there were no greys in Cumbria but they are starting to show up. Most gun owners in Cumbria will shoot them on site but are not winning the battle. The NT at Fornby also keep fighting.

haggstock

At one point there were no greys in Cumbria but they are starting to show up. Most gun owners in Cumbria will shoot them on site but are not winning the battle. The NT at Fornby also keep fighting.
On our DIY syndicate shoot in North Yorkshire, 350 greys were trapped , we had a vermin day shooting drays out , every gun who was doing a job would shoot any that were seen , and on shoot days walking guns took a few when a safe shot was available . so let’s round that up to 500 . Despite that they are still in abundance as when you create a vacuum it fills up from neighbouring land who aren’t hitting them hard .

There was some talk about releasing genetically engineered animals that could only breed male offspring . If that’s true it would be ideal , and bring it on for rats as well .

iainmortimer

I'm Iain and I'm a really bad person. As soon as I saw the title my first thought was I need to get in and buy that pelt/tail before anyone else gets there...

That must have been great to see but sadly I've not seen a red squirrel in years if not decades!

jaybeegee

For a few years during the nineties we used to rent a cottage in Galloway with some superb trout fishing on the Water of Ken. If you ventured into the garden, a red squirrel would scamper right up to your feet and gaze up expectantly for an edible treat. Unbelievably cute! I hope his / her descendants are still in residence...and the fish 😉

B

D

Deleted member 87854

I live in Greystoke which has a good population of reds, and they are occasional visitors to our garden but there has been recent sightings of greys only a mile from Greystoke Castle/ forest which is their stronghold. We have a ranger who traps the greys and dispatches the greys.

Fishtales

I live in Greystoke which has a good population of reds, and they are occasional visitors to our garden but there has been recent sightings of greys only a mile from Greystoke Castle/ forest which is their stronghold. We have a ranger who traps the greys and dispatches the greys.
If he is catching them alive the best thing to do is castrate the males and let them go and only kill the females. The castrated males will still compete for territory and females but there wont be any offspring and eventually the numbers will decrease and possibly die out.

Vermontdrifter

If he is catching them alive the best thing to do is castrate the males and let them go and only kill the females. The castrated males will still compete for territory and females but there wont be any offspring and eventually the numbers will decrease and possibly die out.
I have this horrible vision of a ranger with a very small pair of pliers!!!! 😉

Fishtales

I have this horrible vision of a ranger with a very small pair of pliers!!!! 😉
No need to cut anything. Use what they use to castrate lambs. I used to find loads of little woolly balls when walking in the hills during lambing and wondered what they were, then I found a few rubber bands and put two and two together :)