Reel and tackle set up recommendations

Cooperman

More newbie questions I’m afraid.
I’ve been using my 9ft Chapman Chess for my return to fishing this year with a new 6 wf line on my old Diawa 231 reel . Rod balance is fine and whilst my casting casting could be better it’s OK.
I may have the opportunity to fish a small river for trout and grayling next year and have been wondering about the best set up.
I could continue with the 6 weight line and use a normal 9ft leader and appropriate tippet to suit fly size.
I have been wondering though whether I might get better presentation with a 4 weight line and furled leader etc. I believe the 4 weight line will be OK for this rod because I’ve carried out checks using the CCS system.
If I were to change to a 4 weight line I’d probably buy a new reel, a reasonable cost Maxcatch or Piscifun. The total weight of my present reel and line is about 180 grams however the reels mentioned above are quite light weight which would change the balance of the rod. Should I worry about this and just get used to it, or perhaps put the 4 weight line on the old reel. Do you guys use modern light reels on older cane rods
Perhaps I’ve answered some of my own questions but all opinions gratefully received.
Cheers

Fuffa

Is a 4WF much the same as a 6DT... you could try the latter...

Fuffa

Depends ..if you have gentle river flow...fishing on the surface...weather is calm...bit of softness to rod action top...could very well try a 4 line. If a current..stiffish rod..windy...fishing beneath surface....then use a 6.

Tangled

Ignore the physically balancing of reel and rod, it's a fiction; use the lightest of each, but what you have is fine. #6 weight for brown trout on most uk rivers is probaly a bit heavy unless you're using big streamers but it'll work fine.

More important than all the gear - but harder to fix of course - is your casting. Maybe invest in a few lessons?