Reel Lube.

jaybeegee

Any recommendations for suitable oil and grease for fly reels please? Thus far I’ve used a general purpose engineering grease and either gun or sewing machine oil, depending on what I can scrounge. I suppose these days some of my reels are a bit more hi tech and I should maintain them properly. Grateful for information.

B

GEK79

Any recommendations for suitable oil and grease for fly reels please? Thus far I’ve used a general purpose engineering grease and either gun or sewing machine oil, depending on what I can scrounge. I suppose these days some of my reels are a bit more hi tech and I should maintain them properly. Grateful for information.

B
You'll get a lot of answers to this one.. Maybe contact the reel manufacturers and see what they recommend.. Or await the info from the guys here.. Good luck

Mrtrout

B
Id stick with a slight amount of sewing machine oil B, works for me.
S.

rusty

Mobil XHP 222. It’s marine grease and if it’s good enough for Abel and Ross then it’s good enough for any reel!
I was surprised by the above post. The instructions with my Ross Evolution LT say it should never be oiled or greased.
Rusty

shortcircuit

I have been using a bit of 3 in 1 oil on the spindle and on the bearing assembly in the spool. Always has done fine. I feel that heavier grease might be more likely to go "gunky" ?

speytime

I've got 3 fly reels with line rollers on them, I've only ever given them a spot of 3 in 1, this year when I was servicing them I noticed them a bit sticky and had to use WD40 to clean out the old sticky/tacky 3 in 1 oil.

Al

4wings

I use manufacturers recommended lubes or sewing m/c oil sparingly, too much is bad for the reel but
a little at the start of the season and a clean and lube before you put them away is fine

rusty

I once oiled a plastic check wheel and after a day's fishing it had become a free spinning spool.
Oil suits most close tolerance spools/spindles but a little light grease can significantly reduce spool play. Judgement is required.
Rusty