Reels for your cane and glass rods

stevel

OK now that we've got a cane/glass forum let's make a start on new posts!
What reels do you use on your bamboo or glass rods?
I prefer S handled reels.
20200525_164106.jpg

corto maltese

I've got a matching pair of Salter and Grandson, one with #4 silk the other with #5 and that'll do me for a while, I think they look the nuts on my cane rods and they get the job done well.

stevel

Well for me it has to be Ted Godfrey, joe Saracione, Bogdan, Hardy perfect, Orvis CFO.
Nice, used to have some Godfreys, always wanted a Saracione and Bogdan, well ever since he passed away, prices are crazy.
Though sometimes some bargains turn up in auctions like Angling Auctions.
Would love to find an original EVH or Zwarg in poor condition and restore it.

Last edited:

stevel

Hardy reels, especially the antique ones, have a big following in the US bamboo scene.
I went the other way for the Vom Hofe styled reels, and favoured many who followed and were influenced by their style.
I only went for one reel by an ex Hardy maker, Richard Kell who made bench reels in their style, but he decided to give up making them before it was delivered! :cry:
I have also one Spey reel in the Hardy style by the Ameican Mark Shamburg.

nymphist

At the moment on a couple of hardy cane rods , also on two carbon hardy rods and a few others carbon and cane rods. In fact my rods and reels are mostly hardy for the last 15 years, but i owned/ fished some others too. Reels are only hardy now .

nymphist

Here is the current line of well used and abused bomb-proved hardy reels that i put both on my cane and carbon fly rods. Golden prince, ultralite disc, bougle mk iv and even a LA viscount. The first two are with me 20 years, i bought them used both with extra spools, the later two i bought new in 2003. Also i had a #5 Ultralite disc that i used on cane rod too along with the matching Ultralite carbon fly rod, but i sold them. The only two fly reels that i ever was atracted to and felt the urge to own, was the Ultralite and the Bougle, although i also like hardys wide perfect and the golden sovereign too, but never to an extent to spend money on them. Over the years i used and sold some 15 fly rods and a few fly reels including a couple of hardy reels, but those 4 reels on the photo below will stay with me, i have no intention to replace them and they cover all my flyfishing.
20200615_203826.jpg

lhomme

I used different types of reels, from a bruised Featherweight and rare ones made by the arms factory FN (Herstal), over small versions like the System II 23L , up to "modern" ones like the Sage 3200. Gave them all away (some with a rod:)) but I kept the one my wife used on her 6' #3. Her favourite niece wanted her rod but as she was never going to fish with it again I kept the little reel I bought her to match her "Arundinaria Amabilis". She loved it.
DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

stevel

Willow! Made to order to match the reel seat

Also drooling watching the new ross san miguel...View attachment 27822
Nice RP reel, are the sideplates mottled ebonite? It's supposed to be a very difficult process to perfect.
Joe Saracione made some for his DeluxeII bench reels a few years back, beautiful, but the prices were eye watering, something like $6k! :eek:

stevel

Also drooling watching the new ross san miguel...
NIce, glad to see a return to classic simplicity, the new ones look just a bit too weird and goofy for me.
I had one of the original SM3s, a very nice reel, though the finish was a little delicate and the spool popped off when you were playing a fish and cupping the spool!
I sold it along with my other more modern reels when I started my classic styled reel obsession

pati

Nice RP reel, are the sideplates mottled ebonite? It's supposed to be a very difficult process to perfect.
Joe Saracione made some for his DeluxeII bench reels a few years back, beautiful, but the prices were eye watering, something like $6k! :eek:

Ahaha no it s just mother of Pearl under a layer of epoxy I guess!

Latest posts