Reels for your cane and glass rods

stevel

Hey Steve haven’t seen you on here for a while all ok? That’s a very pretty reel by the way.
Hi Steven
Great to hear from you, I'd disappeared into the land of spey, and only returned as a friend asked if @pati was me! (A bamboo and Winston fanatic) so I just had to come on and see who it was.
I see you are in fine form dealing with the troll on the Custom Reel post!
None of the reels are mine except those on the first post.
Hope all is well with you too, health and fish wise. Still have that place in southern Spain?
Regards
Steve

Mrtrout

Hi Steven
Great to hear from you, I'd disappeared into the land of spey, and only returned as a friend asked if @pati was me! (A bamboo and Winston fanatic) so I just had to come on and see who it was.
Hope all is well with you too, health and fish wise. Still have that place in southern Spain?
Regards
Steve
No sold it three years ago Steve, it was getting hard work for me climbing up the hill every night after too much cerveza .
Glad we did now with what’s going on in the world, so your an all cane man now eh?
still fishing in exotic locations?
S.

pati

Hi Steven
Regards
Steve
Ahaha that’s a funny one! I take it as a compliment as you seem to be a man of taste!

I do love Winston or at least some of them (WT, LT), but can’t call myself a fanatic of the brand. I sometimes catch myself thinking that the green varnish could well be a very convenient way of hiding sloppiness with the dressing of the rod... if you have a raw unsanded blank like some Scott, you need top class dressing for the rod (especially about wrapping of the guides) as it will otherwise show, but if you hide that all under a good layer of green (Winston) or blue (some ThomasandThomas) varnish, you can much more easily get away with it...

stevel

No sold it three years ago Steve, it was getting hard work for me climbing up the hill every night after too much cerveza .
Glad we did now with what’s going on in the world, so your an all cane man now eh?
still fishing in exotic locations?
S.
Yes a good decision I think, Spain's property market will take another dive.
Certainly a load of cerveza will put you in a distinct disadvantage climbing the hills!
I've done some trips where I can, nothing really exotic and expensive. I went out for OP for steelhead in March. The week after I got back Trump closed the doors to the UK!
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

stevel

Ahaha that’s a funny one! I take it as a compliment as you seem to be a man of taste!

I do love Winston or at least some of them (WT, LT), but can’t call myself a fanatic of the brand. I sometimes catch myself thinking that the green varnish could well be a very convenient way of hiding sloppiness with the dressing of the rod... if you have a raw unsanded blank like some Scott, you need top class dressing for the rod (especially about wrapping of the guides) as it will otherwise show, but if you hide that all under a good layer of green (Winston) or blue (some ThomasandThomas) varnish, you can much more easily get away with it...
It was even more apt that my wife's name is Patti so he thought I was using her name as a handle! :p
I was a fanatic but I wasn't a blind green lover, my all time favourite was the B2T quite an old model these days, but the feel and performance was superb. The vaunted WT I found quite wooden feeling (I have the remaining green stick a factory custom Elite, which I gave to a beginner friend to learn to fly cast!) with a weak tip and an over-stiff butt and the LTs were tricky to cast and have a narrow groove/sweet spot or line falls in a heap.
There was this Winston video which once showed how a blank was rolled (except the actual mandrel room which was "classified") - the green is actually a thin plastic film which is why if you fall and ding your rod, the finish is irreparable.
The older Winstons (up to early 90s) had absolutely flawless finishing. Later on, with pre-fab butts and an emphasis on volume, that slipped.

stevel

Am I right to assume Hardy have dropped building Perfects with the round line guard and agate liner.
I'm no Hardy lover, but I'd say it's just the special editions that are brought out with the agate line guard.

stevel

If you send me the reel I’ll make the sacrifice of pairing it to a bamboo rod

Hi Uncas

I find my Willow well made and on some aspects superior even to my Abel Super5N. Granted it is not a Bogdan but it s at least on par with mainstream reelmakers the like of Abel, Tibor, Ted Jurassic etc. The reel is also quite simple in its mechanics and works very very smoothly.
That said I am not a machinist either so I may be deluded ! Happy to make close up pictures for you to inspect it if that’s of interest?

One guy or 2 anonymously made negative comments on a forum about those reels but I note that a few identified legit pro/experts also commented quite positively on them...

As far as I know, Willow were indeed made in South Korea when I bought mine about 10years ago but South Korea is no China and more importantly they are not mass production reels but rather built one by one by a single Craftsman. I am not American and to me made in USA is no better than made from anywhere when talking about single craftsman production, a lot of patriotic « non US made « bashing on US forum should be taken with a pinch of salt...

As an example my willow reel is a model that is not and has never been on their « catalogue »: a smaller version of the mother of pearl classic but with raised pillars. The reel foot size has been adjusted to go perfectly on the reel seatof the one bamboo rod it was intended for and so a tad shorter than their normal size. All that made to order at no extra cost versus their standard catalogue version...

Fact is that the sides are indeed heavily coated in epoxy and I understand that some may not like it at all, but that’s required to protect the otherwise fragile wood or in my case mother of Pearl. It however opens the possibilities to very original designs which you can’t (or at least at the time I bought mine you couldn’t) find elsewhere .To me it’s a point of aesthetics so I perfectly understand some may dislike it.
If you send me the reel I’ll make the sacrifice of pairing it to a bamboo rod

Hi Uncas

I find my Willow well made and on some aspects superior even to my Abel Super5N. Granted it is not a Bogdan but it s at least on par with mainstream reelmakers the like of Abel, Tibor, Ted Jurassic etc. The reel is also quite simple in its mechanics and works very very smoothly.
That said I am not a machinist either so I may be deluded ! Happy to make close up pictures for you to inspect it if that’s of interest?

One guy or 2 anonymously made negative comments on a forum about those reels but I note that a few identified legit pro/experts also commented quite positively on them...

As far as I know, Willow were indeed made in South Korea when I bought mine about 10years ago but South Korea is no China and more importantly they are not mass production reels but rather built one by one by a single Craftsman. I am not American and to me made in USA is no better than made from anywhere when talking about single craftsman production, a lot of patriotic « non US made « bashing on US forum should be taken with a pinch of salt...

As an example my willow reel is a model that is not and has never been on their « catalogue »: a smaller version of the mother of pearl classic but with raised pillars. The reel foot size has been adjusted to go perfectly on the reel seatof the one bamboo rod it was intended for and so a tad shorter than their normal size. All that made to order at no extra cost versus their standard catalogue version...

Fact is that the sides are indeed heavily coated in epoxy and I understand that some may not like it at all, but that’s required to protect the otherwise fragile wood or in my case mother of Pearl. It however opens the possibilities to very original designs which you can’t (or at least at the time I bought mine you couldn’t) find elsewhere .To me it’s a point of aesthetics so I perfectly understand some may dislike it.
Good post Pat,

Many good points raised.
Apologies, I suggested the Willow was CNC'd (though nothing wrong with that, there are many high quality CNC'd reels exceeding the tolerances of bench reels), I re-read the Clark's/Flyrodders threads and they were indeed hand lathed. The only negative poster was actually the guy who took over Joe Bellinger's reel maintenance.
Having said this, those threads were in 2010, and things may have changed since then.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
Is that a centenary special mate? My view is that things are to be enjoyed on the river not on a shelf - it's a criminal act to let a fine piece die like that. I used to have a seizure whenever a reel got a scuff or a scratch, but I've now mellowed. I don't abuse them but a scuff or a scratch isn't the end of the world now.
Did you ever unload that BFP in the end?
Yes it’s the Jubilee, a Prototype that’s why I haven’t used it yet.
you will have to remind me what BFP stands for

Uncas

Steve,

What is your opinion of Shamburg reels compared to the reels made by David Edel.

stevel

Steve,

What is your opinion of Shamburg reels compared to the reels made by David Edel.
Hi Uncas,
I don't know the work of David Edel. I do remember seeing some of his pieces more than 10 years back, but to honest I haven't heard anything of him for quite a while. Mostly trout reels I understand.
I currently own reels of 3 makers - Shamburg, Noel and Olson, all are of the Vom Hofe style, for both trout and salmon/steelhead.
Olson and Noel are fantastic reels, with Noel being of the Bogdan style with a drum drag, very similar if not identical to the Bogdan's. Finishing is superb and of course with the titanum, a finish which is extremely durable and repairable after scuffs and dings.
Olson is one of most sought after G&P reels with a very long wait, sometimes exceeding 5 years. A huge following by US steelhead fisherman and has a unique revolving backplate to allow additional braking.
Shamburg reels to this point are all G&P. They are Hardy style (St. Mark) or Vom Hofe (S handle) and are fantastic fishing tools as well as being beautiful objects. The one thing about them (except for recent limited runs) they are in-the-white extremely highly polished aluminium and care is needed so that they maintain their finish. The special editions are all black anodised, even the S handle and feet, so are a bit more resistant to the elements.
Shamburgs are now my go to reels, falling back to others as need arises. If Olsons and Noels are my backup reels, then I obviously think highly of them!
I wouldn't hesitate in getting another, they are one of the best value for money in the bench reels scene though his profile and reputation has certainly risen in the past few years.
Being an engineer, he makes his own equipment for his hand made reels, bamboo rods and rod making tools.
Apart from that, he's a fantastic fisherman and guide and spends some part of the year on the OP in WA, fishing and guiding. Last March past, just before lockdown, I spent a few days with him and a friend, fishing for Winter run steelhead. It was a great experience to spend time with him and get to know him better, rather than just being a maker of superb reels and bamboo rods.
Regards,
Steve
P1020582.JPG
P1020580.JPGP1020583.JPG
shamburgs .jpg

Last edited:

stevel

Steve,

Your query sparked my curiosity and I refound the references to Edel on Sorenson's West Slope Fly (a high end dealer of classic tackle around 10+ years ago).
A maker of all sorts of things from golf putters to high end watches, he also made top shelf copies of VH reels destined probably for a glass shelf rather than a river bank (judging from the prices, approaching $4k).
Interestingly after WSF stopped trading, Edel appeared on the books of Gary Seimer but his titanium reel was a more reasonable $1250 rather than the figure closer to $4k on WSF.
I saw one recently on a FB Reel forum for sale, with no takers at even a pretty low price, ~£500.
I think Edel comes more into the realms of Jancurias and Shulz, producing the most perfect impressions of VH reels for collecting and investment. Sure you can fish them, but it would be like taking a Lamborghini on a rally drive.
I like reels, but I use them all. I don't abuse reels, and want that they are also beautiful as well as functional, but these days I don't have a major coronary if I suffer a scuff or ding whilst out fishing.
I also like the fact that the gear I favour are made by guys who are also diehard fishermen, so are likely to stand up to the rigours of fishing, not just to look pretty on a shelf.
Do you own an Edel?

airsprite

A bit late coming to the party, but these are the reels i use on my Split Cane.
The first is a favourite, its a L.L.Bean it holds a 5 weight silk line nicely and has a bit of weight to it, which balances my Fosters 7ft Airsprite perfectly.
I also use a Hardy Duchess on my lighter rods, in the photo a Constable Wallop Brook 6ft 6in Midge 3 weight.IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2355.JPGIMG_2249.JPG

airsprite

Nice outfits Airsprite,:cool:
Thanks, its took me a few years and a lot of searching around to find the rods i have now.
Sold a few rods on along the way, including one i wish i had kept :(
I was very lucky with the LL Bean reel, before i really got into fly fishing, a friend showed me a box of reels and bits and pieces and asked if any were of any use. I took the reel as it looked a bit different from the rest. I wonder now if i missed some other Gems.

Steve

Uncas

Always the case Steve, we all miss the bargains now and then.
If you get a bit of luck and find something nice it makes it all worthwhile.
I have bought the odd item from LL Bean in the past, always have been satisfied,
River is fining down as we speak should be about right for Thursday all being well.

stevel

Nice reel Sean, Abels were my first quality reel and I had a small collection of them from TR up to a 3 and 3N, I had a nice blue/green finish on a BG1 which was really pretty.
Although I prefer the solid backplate on the reels, that's an attractive reel.
Where do you go to indulge your Brook Trout addiction, Canada?

sean freeman

Nice reel Sean, Abels were my first quality reel and I had a small collection of them from TR up to a 3 and 3N, I had a nice blue/green finish on a BG1 which was really pretty.
Although I prefer the solid backplate on the reels, that's an attractive reel.
Where do you go to indulge your Brook Trout addiction, Canada?
I have a TR Light and now this SDF as well as the nippers. Love their gear but have mainly bought Ross before now. If you still have a pristine TR1 kicking around I’d be interested!

Believe it or not there are over a dozen populations of brook trout in the UK and they’ve been here for 150 years! I don’t know all of them but I do know five or six and one in particular that has historically produced trophy fish and more recently an acquaintance had one around the 3lbs mark from this location. I’m certain they’re still there but it’s so far from anything that my window to fish it is narrow each year. It’s around six or seven hours round trip hiking from the nearest road.

This is my best so far from there, it’s an odd place as it holds some massive brookies but it’s still prolific and you can get a fish per cast or two or three in some cases! Unlike any big brown trout loch.
B8A00529-4635-40A5-B330-15B24AA6A3A9.jpeg

Latest posts