Reels for your cane and glass rods

sean freeman

I’m also currently saving for a trip to three rivers lodge in Labrador. A wedding might get in the way before I make it though! 😂

sean freeman

I've just had a look at the Three Rivers Lodge website, it looks good.;)
It’s supposed to be pretty spectacular but it’s also around £7000 for a week! Not exactly a trip I could do on a whim but I’m reducing expenses and saving! I’ll have to be less of a tackle tart for a while. 😅

stevel

I have a TR Light and now this SDF as well as the nippers. Love their gear but have mainly bought Ross before now. If you still have a pristine TR1 kicking around I’d be interested!

Believe it or not there are over a dozen populations of brook trout in the UK and they’ve been here for 150 years! I don’t know all of them but I do know five or six and one in particular that has historically produced trophy fish and more recently an acquaintance had one around the 3lbs mark from this location. I’m certain they’re still there but it’s so far from anything that my window to fish it is narrow each year. It’s around six or seven hours round trip hiking from the nearest road.

This is my best so far from there, it’s an odd place as it holds some massive brookies but it’s still prolific and you can get a fish per cast or two or three in some cases! Unlike any big brown trout loch.
View attachment 29197
Amazing fish, so dark! Is that post spawn colours? What an amazing story about Brookies in the UK! I know that they have been stocked in various stillwaters around the place but I didn't know there were here that long - are they self populating? The closest I've gotten to them are Dolly Varden and Arctic Char in Alaska on my first destination trips 25 years ago, and my fishing buddy recently took some Bull Trout in Washington - all of the same family as the Brook Trout I believe. The Dolly Varden were in full spawning colours and absolutely beautiful in bright reds and greens, much like the Brookies.
The TR1 I actually gave to my daughter to match her 5'6 Tim Harris bamboo rod, so not exactly pristine (now, I winced watching her drag it along the ground!) and the only other Abel I kept is a very nice 3N Ported which now sits on a switch rod, but previously used on single handed rods for steelhead and UK seabass. I too have one of the Abel Nippers, in Brown Trout version which I still use from over 10 years ago. The pliers and knife are still in good use, and the Abel luggage is still kicking around after 25+ years!

Last edited:

sean freeman

Amazing fish, so dark! Is that post spawn colours? What an amazing story about Brookies in the UK! I know that they have been stocked in various stillwaters around the place but I didn't know there were here that long - are they self populating? The closest I've gotten to them are Dolly Varden and Arctic Char in Alaska on my first destination trips 25 years ago, and my fishing buddy recently took some Bull Trout in Washington - all of the same family as the Brook Trout I believe. The Dolly Varden were in full spawning colours and absolutely beautiful in bright reds and greens, much like the Brookies.
The TR1 I actually gave to my daughter to match her 5'6 Tim Harris bamboo rod, so not exactly pristine (now, I winced watching her drag it along the ground!) and the only other Abel I kept is a very nice 3N Ported which now sits on a switch rod, but previously used on single handed rods for steelhead and UK seabass. I too have one of the Abel Nippers, in Brown Trout version which I still use from over 10 years ago. The pliers are still in good use, and the Abel luggage is still kicking around after 25+ years!
Yeah every population I’ve found is self sufficient and the majority have long since been forgotten by people. The fish in my post was only caught last week! This loch seems to produce darker brookies despite the water being very clear with a light tea stain to it. There are other lochs that produce the more typical jewel coloured brookies but I doubt I’ll get to them this year! Bull trout and dolly varden are high on my list, hoping to get after bulls soon as my girlfriend and I are planning a trip from Vancouver to Calgary in a camper van. Plenty of good fishing in BC but it will have to be one or two day trips as it’s not strictly a fishing holiday!

Ditto on the nippers, had my brown trout pair for ten years now. Got them as a birthday present and they’ve seen constant use since. Airflo are setting up a service centre for Abel and Ross here so that should mean sending them to Wales rather than Colorado when replacement blades are eventually required.
Also if you ever get wind of a fish graphic TR1 cropping up for sale I’d appreciate a heads up, been after one for ages!

stevel

Yeah every population I’ve found is self sufficient and the majority have long since been forgotten by people. The fish in my post was only caught last week! This loch seems to produce darker brookies despite the water being very clear with a light tea stain to it. There are other lochs that produce the more typical jewel coloured brookies but I doubt I’ll get to them this year! Bull trout and dolly varden are high on my list, hoping to get after bulls soon as my girlfriend and I are planning a trip from Vancouver to Calgary in a camper van. Plenty of good fishing in BC but it will have to be one or two day trips as it’s not strictly a fishing holiday!

Ditto on the nippers, had my brown trout pair for ten years now. Got them as a birthday present and they’ve seen constant use since. Airflo are setting up a service centre for Abel and Ross here so that should mean sending them to Wales rather than Colorado when replacement blades are eventually required.
Also if you ever get wind of a fish graphic TR1 cropping up for sale I’d appreciate a heads up, been after one for ages!
Fantastic, I love Canada, in another parallel universe I would have gone to Vancouver to be a steelhead bum! I did a bucketlist trip like the one you're planning about 8 years back to go to the Skeena for their famed steelhead. That trip from Vancouver to Calgary will be amazing. I went to my niece's wedding in Calgary a few years back and was sorely tempted to find some time to get out to fish the famed Bow River, unfortunately I was too squeezed for time.
Your trip sounds like when my wife and I did a tour of North and South Island NZ with our 8m old baby, I just *had* to take a few days out fishing those amazing rivers, it would have been criminal not to!

Jason 70

It’s supposed to be pretty spectacular but it’s also around £7000 for a week! Not exactly a trip I could do on a whim but I’m reducing expenses and saving! I’ll have to be less of a tackle tart for a while. 😅
Yeah I looked at the price and thought 'eff me' to rich for me. Hopefully 2021 we can get over to Canada and visit the wife's family, where we planned to be last April before this poxy virus came along. A Musky would be nice.

Uncas

You will definitely have to be less of a tackle tart once you get married for quite a long time Sean.
As you have probably found out women are a strange breed.:alien:
They don't quite understand the need to buy more fishing tackle.:ROFLMAO:

sean freeman

You will definitely have to be less of a tackle tart once you get married for quite a long time Sean.
As you have probably found out women are a strange breed.:alien:
They don't quite understand the need to buy more fishing tackle.:ROFLMAO:
For sure mate! A seven grand fishing trip is horrendous in her mind, yet our wedding will cost many many times more for a single day! She also wouldn’t blink at spending that on two weeks in the Caribbean. I’ll just go and put up with the grief on my return, problem is I’d want a new rod and waders too!

kerryjordan

For sure mate! A seven grand fishing trip is horrendous in her mind, yet our wedding will cost many many times more for a single day! She also wouldn’t blink at spending that on two weeks in the Caribbean. I’ll just go and put up with the grief on my return, problem is I’d want a new rod and waders too!
Hope it’s not too late - a Covid 19 virtual wedding reception on ZOOM is the way forward.