Reels for your cane and glass rods

beetlebum

Haha we’re going to compromise and do a British Columbia road trip (don’t know if she realises how in my favour that compromise is) followed by NZ over Christmas. So plenty of fishing opportunities. I’ll probably do Labrador in 2023 now.
That's a pretty sweet compromise!

PaulD

For me, I like the simplicity of the Hardy Featherweight . . .

Hardy Featherweight.jpg

Uncas

Haha we’re going to compromise and do a British Columbia road trip (don’t know if she realises how in my favour that compromise is) followed by NZ over Christmas. So plenty of fishing opportunities. I’ll probably do Labrador in 2023 now.
I think Sean that statement needs an adjustment - an inclusion to consider the carrying of all that fishing tackle. You need a ghillie, as an act of kindness I put my name forward for this position. ;)

sean freeman

I think Sean that statement needs an adjustment - an inclusion to consider the carrying of all that fishing tackle. You need a ghillie, as an act of kindness I put my name forward for this position. ;)
Haha! We can just leave her at home and make it a bunch of fishing holidays 😂 in all seriousness I’m plotting the route around fishing but she can’t know that! We’re renting a small RV for BC which will be pretty sweet because it means I can leave a rod tackled up. Steelhead are on the list but right at the top is a big Bull Trout.

Uncas

Haha! We can just leave her at home and make it a bunch of fishing holidays 😂 in all seriousness I’m plotting the route around fishing but she can’t know that! We’re renting a small RV for BC which will be pretty sweet because it means I can leave a rod tackled up. Steelhead are on the list but right at the top is a big Bull Trout.
Sean, if you are doing a route with an RV and your after Steelhead, you want to be on the Skeena river and use Kispiox or Hazelton as a base, lots of guides in that area.

stevel

What a dream! Watch out for the bears Sean! I can thoroughly recommend the book : Bear attacks their causes and avoidance, Herrero. I did a special 50th birthday trip to the Skeena (Bulkley and Morice at Frontier Farwest Lodge) and although it was a really special trip, I really got spooked by the bears.
It really opens your eyes and tbh I wouldn't go into bear country again without bear spray.

Hardrar

I’m spoilt for choice with reels, but do play most fish off the reel, so like a smooth effective drag, I have a lot of early Vosseler DC and RC series and a Vosseler Passion, Ari T Hart, Hardy Ultralite disc, Hardy Marksman, Orginal Loop Karpens, some mint Berkley 556 557 and 558, Tioga series, Abels, both Creek and Super series. Also have a brace of Orvis Battenkill mk 1 #5/6 planetary (multiplier).

Last edited:

sean freeman

I’ve been looking for a fish graphic old Abel TR reel for years now. Have yet to find any whatsoever. People just don’t get rid!

Hardrar

I’ve been looking for a fish graphic old Abel TR reel for years now. Have yet to find any whatsoever. People just don’t get rid!
Mine are sadly plain, believe it or not I used to own Matching Super 4 ventilated LA in Brown Trout Rainbow trout and brook trout and in TR too, I sold them to raise funds a few years back to an Austrian collector. Had a Lady Liberty Super 5 and a stars and bars/ Union Jack custom too.
Wish I still had them!!

sean freeman

Mine are sadly plain, believe it or not I used to own Matching Super 4 ventilated LA in Brown Trout Rainbow trout and brook trout and in TR too, I sold them to raise funds a few years back to an Austrian collector. Had a Lady Liberty Super 5 and a stars and bars/ Union Jack custom too.
Wish I still had them!!
Would love that round up! I’ll keep looking but the search is getting tiring now! :rolleyes:

Hardrar

Would love that round up! I’ll keep looking but the search is getting tiring now! :rolleyes:
Us Brits are generally far too tight to buy exotic gear, when it comes to our tackle, you will have more joy on the German and US Ebay sites . I tend to get Ari reels from France or Italy, they don’t come up that often here.
I used to have a friend in CA who used to look out for the Abel limited edition artwork reels and ship them over for me. What is it you want? A BT artwork Super 4 LA?

sean freeman

Us Brits are generally far too tight to buy exotic gear, when it comes to our tackle, you will have more joy on the German and US Ebay sites . I tend to get Ari reels from France or Italy, they don’t come up that often here.
I used to have a friend in CA who used to look out for the Abel limited edition artwork reels and ship them over for me. What is it you want? A BT artwork Super 4 LA?
Agreed, for that reason I spend a lot of time on the US forum in regards to tackle as they seem to be more into quality gear there and if you post a question about any high end rod or reel someone comes along and answers your question shortly.

I’ve seen standard Coral Black TR’s go for a steal on the U.K. ebay as not many people are searching for them as constantly as I do, I reckon even the black ones only appear every few months.
Ideally I’d love a brook trout coloured TR light or TR1 but I’d take brown, rainbow, wild trout or cutthroat too. All of them eventually!

stevel

Why specifically the old TRs? As you already have one of the newer model Abels in a Brook Trout, why not just get the newer TR in fish graphic of which there are loads including 3 different Brook Trouts?

sean freeman

Why specifically the old TRs? As you already have one of the newer model Abels in a Brook Trout, why not just get the newer TR in fish graphic of which there are loads including 3 different Brook Trouts?
I’ve just always liked the classic styling of the TR’s and the diminutive stature with decent heft perfectly balanced my glass rods. The Barclay 68 likes the TR Light and the 72 likes a TR1. I’m planning on picking up a Vaya in a brownie graphic for my forthcoming Stickman T6.
But the older trout graphic TR is still an itch that needs scratching.

stevel

I’ve seen standard Coral Black TR’s go for a steal on the U.K. ebay as not many people are searching for them as constantly as I do, I reckon even the black ones only appear every few months.
Ideally I’d love a brook trout coloured TR light or TR1 but I’d take brown, rainbow, wild trout or cutthroat too. All of them eventually!
I've seen that Abel do a refurb service (or maybe not anymore) but it would be interesting to get a cheap old black coral TR and send that in to be refurbed with a Brook fish graphic? An expensive way to do it, but if there are none available...

Latest posts