Reels for your cane and glass rods

pati

Hi Sean

Nice one but to my taste it would be better suited to a glass rod than a bamboo!
Is it the rainbow or native cutthroat?

Also, how do you find those vaya vs SuperN? Aesthetically I much prefer the superN style and was wondering if the drag system of the vaya is so noticeably better in fishing situation?

Steve: Abel no longer accepts to do graphic anodisation on top of older solid colour reels unfortunately... When they started the fish graphic thing you could indeed send back your reel and get it done for 50-100£ depending on your choice of graphic (50 for solid colour or simple graphic and about 90 for fish graphic), that was a steal vs today prices!!!

sean freeman

Hi Sean

Nice one but to my taste it would be better suited to a glass rod than a bamboo!
Is it the rainbow or native cutthroat?

Also, how do you find those vaya vs SuperN? Aesthetically I much prefer the superN style and was wondering if the drag system of the vaya is so noticeably better in fishing situation?

Steve: Abel no longer accepts to do graphic anodisation on top of older solid colour reels unfortunately... When they started the fish graphic thing you could indeed send back your reel and get it done for 50-100£ depending on your choice of graphic (50 for solid colour or simple graphic and about 90 for fish graphic), that was a steal vs today prices!!!
I have one of Graeme’s reels planned for my Cane rod. This will share time between glass and my Sage X with a #4 Rio Technical Trout line. It’s the native rainbow finish with the black aluminium handle, I bought it to match the wild bows I catch.

This one is a TR and I have an SDF too from the modern range, I have yet to buy a Vaya but may get one in brown trout to round them out, I’m toying with the idea of commissioning a custom graphic but the price increases exponentially when going down the custom route.

In regards to comparison I’d say the quality of machining is as good as ever on the modern reels but the quality of the anodise has gotten better over the years. The advantage with the SDF/SDS and Vaya is the maintenance free drag system, the Super is more of a tank and if I was going somewhere remote on a destination trip I’d no doubt choose the super, you can drop them on rocks and although it might mark them I’d bet it’ll still fish perfectly. I could see the newer heavily machined Abels coming off worse. Neither is better than the other at doing the job of a reel with a fine drag but I’ve always liked having a sealed drag system myself. On streams I like clickers like the new TR or classic looking older ones which I hope they one day do another run of! I agree that it’s a pity they don’t still do anodising on older reels, I reckon they’re too busy these days and the custom graphics are extremely popular! An all black Abel is a rare thing now I’d say.

stevel

That should be a nice outfit Sean, where are those wild (self sustaining?) populations of rainbow? I spoke to Peter Cockwill a little while ago and his opinion was there there were none that reproduced in the UK. I know in places like Slovenia they do reproduce, and are a different kettle of fish to the stockies.
Abels were my first quality reel and I got them from Pete Cockwill who was the first Abel dealer in the UK in the early 90's. He was a fanatic, especially of the coloured ones, but he really threw them around in the back of his car and in tackle bags without their cases and they looked perfect. Being a dealer, he had loads of these things and probably the worst thing for a coloured reel addict!
I still have 3 remaining black ones, a TR (on my daughter's bamboo), a Pt 5 (on permanent loan to a friend learning to fly fish with my Winston Elite factory custom WT) and an old 3N ported which I keep as a switch reel for salt but was my single handed steelhead and seabass reel.
They are the only non classic reel I kept (except for the recent Kineya and VR-Design, but they're pretty classic shaped) when I moved over to bench S-handles. I still have a soft spot for these old TR & BG reels.
Although the colours and fish graphics are not for me as a fishing reel, I really appreciate them as an object of beauty and art.

Last edited:

Hardrar

Abel Creek AC 2 US import from Steve Abel, Bright Olive single colour. Rosewood handle.

257E8E23-5C03-4E54-A90A-1F900D5957BA.jpeg

sean freeman

Do I know about this??
I assumed so, in the hubless thread I asked to be put on the list and you asked for a pm, I let you know that I sent the pm which you liked. I guessed you’d address the pm when I was next in line.

If I’m mistaken then don’t worry about it.

stevel

I thought that the Derbyshire Wye had self-sustaining rainbows? I caught a few like this a couple of years ago.
I looked up my old emails and I think it was about other rivers in the UK (apart from the Wye) who claimed to have self sustaining populations.
His reply was this:
It's true the Chess once had rainbows breeding but long gone and unless Wye fish are transplanted (against EA rules) then it can't happen anywhere else as male rainbows are as rare a hens teeth. UK farms no longer keep males so without them there can't be breeding
I remember catching tiny rainbows like that in the little feeder running alongside Avington lakes, but I assume those were escapees.

sean freeman

I looked up my old emails and I think it was about other rivers in the UK (apart from the Wye) who claimed to have self sustaining populations.
His reply was this:

I remember catching tiny rainbows like that in the little feeder running alongside Avington lakes, but I assume those were escapees.
There is supposedly a population in another Derbyshire small stream called the Noe, there are plenty of wild rainbows in the Derwent now so they may have moved up the Noe. They also occupy the lower and middle Lathkill.

ROVER

I assumed so, in the hubless thread I asked to be put on the list and you asked for a pm, I let you know that I sent the pm which you liked. I guessed you’d address the pm when I was next in line.

If I’m mistaken then don’t worry about it.
got it, 15th jan,, so your on the list as of that date

G

Hardrar

Article about Wild U.K.’ Bows here below
Also I catch these in our local Rye system tributaries. There was a few big escapes after flooding in the 70s 80s and 90s, fellow members get regularly smashed up with these and much bigger and there are catches of small and slim perfect looking heavily spotted Rainbows. This fish was a cock
FB9F772D-7306-477E-A47E-486D52963D34.jpeg

stevel

Can you change the spools on S handled reels? If so how is it done?
Rusty
There may be some newer ones with a one screw takeapart such as Godfrey reels and Olson, but most of these S handles will require unscrewing the whole reel by undoing the screws where the posts are screwed to the sideplates.
Pretty much you'd never take it apart except for servicing at home.

rusty

There may be some newer ones with a one screw takeapart such as Godfrey reels and Olson, but most of these S handles will require unscrewing the whole reel by undoing the screws where the posts are screwed to the sideplates.
Pretty much you'd never take it apart except for servicing at home.
Looking at the reels I thought that might be the case. A bit like multipliers in terms of construction.

I would have thought that there could be a hybrid design like a Hardy Perfect with the handle plate being replaced with an 'S' handle. Then the spool could be interchanged from the other side of the reel.
I find reel designs chase elegant form and leave functionality as secondary. Examples of this are the bar the line is dragged against when removing line (sorted in Vossler reels) and the drag control being on the opposite side to the winding handle (sorted in some Bauer reels).

Having said that the reels in your first post are utterly stunning. Reel art!

Rusty

stevel

Looking at the reels I thought that might be the case. A bit like multipliers in terms of construction.

I would have thought that there could be a hybrid design like a Hardy Perfect with the handle plate being replaced with an 'S' handle. Then the spool could be interchanged from the other side of the reel.
I find reel designs chase elegant form and leave functionality as secondary. Examples of this are the bar the line is dragged against when removing line (sorted in Vossler reels) and the drag control being on the opposite side to the winding handle (sorted in some Bauer reels).

Having said that the reels in your first post are utterly stunning. Reel art!

Rusty
Yes that's right, in fact some people like really wide spool versions (up to 2" wide spools) so they do look like multipliers.
The Olson is also in the Vom Hofe style with some additions to make it a bit more user friendly. It has a revolving sideplate, much like the Hardy perfect, so you can use it like a bit of extra brake if you don't want to thumb the spool. By the way, as most of these reels don't have an exposed rim, you have to thumb the spool as you would a multiplier by putting your finger through the reel cage. This would be the case for any of the Click and Pawl reels which only have a clicker to stop overrun.
On this Olson, the backplate (where the revolving plate is) it has a single large screw, which once undone, the revolving sideplate is unscrewed (like a Hardy Perfect) and you then have access to the spool.
For sure the people who have these sorts of reels have them mainly for their beauty (though they still have to perform assuming they're not one of those fancy reels with engraving and hardwood exotic wood boxes designed to live their lives in a glass box - I've read some special Hardy models are not meant to be used in anger) as they are in essence updated versions of 100 year old Vom Hofe reels. If they start to stray too much from the old designs then you may as well stay with the modern reels if you want or need all the new tech features.
Most of the S handles with a proper drag copy the drag design of the Bogdan reels, and the drag detent is on the opposite side to the S handle.

Latest posts