Reels for your cane and glass rods

nymphist

Got the Vosseler Air one recently for the RST M3 plastic rod for winter fishing but still hesitate to try the reel on bamboo rod, somehow the LA reel doesn't look good on bamboo.🤔

duncanp

PXL_20210317_082749319.jpg

A straightforward Hardy Marquis 3/4 for me.

D

Deleted member 90002

The reel foot on this era of ross reels fit slide band reel seats well too. I’ve looked for a 30th anniversary Ross Evolution since seeing one that sold on Spinoza, nice reels the original Evolution, I have a black Evo 2 but have to say the finish chips very easily, mine was mint until I slipped and knocked it off a rock.
Ouch.

beetlebum

The Marquis 6 is 3''1/8th and will weigh with backing 40/50 yds 20lb Cotland 444 SL 6.75oz
if that helps.
Thanks for that. To be honest it feels pretty nice balance wise, I haven't weighed it but I will. I fancy a #5 for a 7' rod I've just built up but they seem to command higher prices than the #7's do second hand.

Last edited:

Uncas

Thanks for that. To be honest it feels pretty nice balance wise, I haven't weighed it but I will. I fancy a #5 for a 7' rod I've just built up but they seem to command higher prices than the #7's do second hand.
Yes the 5 would be ideal for a 7' rod.

stevel

Currently got a Marquis #7 on my 8' 5 weight, possibly too big but it balances well.View attachment 37334
That's very interesting that a 7 weight reel weighing probably 7oz balances with your 8' #5 glass rod. I have an 8'5 5/6 bamboo which balances nicely with a reel of that weight fully loaded. It suggests that the heaviness and tip heaviness of that particular blank taper (you appear to have minimal fittings so it's not them) is approaching that of bamboo.
BTW that cork looks amazingly clear.

Hardrar

The Hardy original Alnwick built #5 wt reels fetch typically 30-40% more for equal condition.
A Hardy Ultralite disc in #7 mint will fetch £140-170 max a #5 you won’t find for less than £230 same with Marquis, Sovereign, Golden series, Swift, Angel etc. The 3/4 and 5/6 Sivereigns can fetch £400 plus.

beetlebum

That's very interesting that a 7 weight reel weighing probably 7oz balances with your 8' #5 glass rod. I have an 8'5 5/6 bamboo which balances nicely with a reel of that weight fully loaded. It suggests that the heaviness and tip heaviness of that particular blank taper (you appear to have minimal fittings so it's not them) is approaching that of bamboo.
BTW that cork looks amazingly clear.
IMG_20210318_182151.jpg
I've just weighed it, this comes out at a hair under 6oz by my reckoning. It is a weighty blank, it feels fine to cast though....this bodes well, I fancy getting a cane rod down the line anyway at least the weight won't bother me😁

beetlebum

The Hardy original Alnwick built #5 wt reels fetch typically 30-40% more for equal condition.
A Hardy Ultralite disc in #7 mint will fetch £140-170 max a #5 you won’t find for less than £230 same with Marquis, Sovereign, Golden series, Swift, Angel etc. The 3/4 and 5/6 Sivereigns can fetch £400 plus.
Thanks for the info, I'm finding this out unfortunately...it probably doesn't help that I got my #7 marquis for peanuts relatively on eBay.

Hardrar

Thanks for the info, I'm finding this out unfortunately...it probably doesn't help that I got my #7 marquis for peanuts relatively on eBay.
I have an Ultralite disc #5 early numbered one, they fetch about £230 but if you look after them, they only increase in value. They seem cheap compared to an Ari Kineya Bogdan Allen or Custom Abel though.

duncanp

Looks a nice match. How does the Ben's glass fish?
So I took it down to the river for opening day yesterday, other than bumping into grayling on the nymphs it quickly became a day for working out the rod. The river is usually 10ft 4wt territory for me.

Interestingly the blank is quite light, its a 7ft 5 4wt, the hardy 3/4 is probably too heavy with the downlocking reel seat, not aided by the fact I've only a DT4 line on it... waiting for a Barrio small stream to come back in stock.

The rod casts well, turned over a dry fly beautifully dealing with a downstream northerly. It is on the faster end of the scale from my experience of glass but this is limited as this is my first s-glass blank, previous being e-glass.

I also fished a reasonable size martin's minnow which again cast pretty adequately at fishing distances without the need for a double haul, struggled to get enough line speed to cast the minnow under very low branches (just skimming the water surface) but I feel like this would have been possible without the sinking poly leader which certainly added some weight to the equation.

Fished a single 4mm tungsten nymph under a wool indicator. High rod stop and it would turn over fine and fish for good bite detection. I really look forward to using it on some of the smaller streams when season starts on them.

Can't comment how it handled reasonable fish as bar fingerling out of season grayling there were none yesterday for me 😅

matt808

So I took it down to the river for opening day yesterday, other than bumping into grayling on the nymphs it quickly became a day for working out the rod. The river is usually 10ft 4wt territory for me.

Interestingly the blank is quite light, its a 7ft 5 4wt, the hardy 3/4 is probably too heavy with the downlocking reel seat, not aided by the fact I've only a DT4 line on it... waiting for a Barrio small stream to come back in stock.

The rod casts well, turned over a dry fly beautifully dealing with a downstream northerly. It is on the faster end of the scale from my experience of glass but this is limited as this is my first s-glass blank, previous being e-glass.

I also fished a reasonable size martin's minnow which again cast pretty adequately at fishing distances without the need for a double haul, struggled to get enough line speed to cast the minnow under very low branches (just skimming the water surface) but I feel like this would have been possible without the sinking poly leader which certainly added some weight to the equation.

Fished a single 4mm tungsten nymph under a wool indicator. High rod stop and it would turn over fine and fish for good bite detection. I really look forward to using it on some of the smaller streams when season starts on them.

Can't comment how it handled reasonable fish as bar fingerling out of season grayling there were none yesterday for me 😅
Thanks!

stevel

A reel that I'd ordered 6 years ago arrived today.
It's a reel from the maker William Olson of Utah, the favourite of steelhead and salmon fishermen of North America. So much has his popularity grown since first offering his wares in around 2010, that there's now a waiting list of 4 years or more.
He makes mostly G&P reels, his followers prefer to use hand braking rather than a drum or disc brake as found on many old and new reels such a Bogdan, the original Vom Hofes or newer sealed disc modern reels.
They're famous for producing one of the loudest noises from a reel either with line coming in or out, but more so out, a feature loved by the North American anadromous fishing community. As they say "loud reels save lives"!!
I have one of his reels from 2012, which only took a year to deliver, but those days are long gone, as is with any maker whose wares become the object of desire.
So long was the wait that the reel changed forms many times during wait for my turn to come. It was originally one of his beautiful Raised Pillar disc reels in all silver, clear anodised, but I changed that to a 3.5" extra wide 1.3" spool as I acquired reels of other makers offering shorter delivery times.
They say good things come to those who wait, but this one really tested my resolve. It was due to be delivered by the dealer Gary Siemer of Vintage Fly Tackle 4 years after ordering, but he tragically passed away in that year and I believe orders were lost or cancelled. Contacting William directly he offered to deliver the reel to me within a short time, but that too was delayed due to circumstances out of his control.
Water under the bridge, the reel was destined for an 11'3" #6 bamboo spey rod which currently sports a 3.25" reel with a 1.25" spool however it is a very tight fit. This reel is slightly bigger and wider, though probably at the same weight, around 10oz.
With a year in lockdown preventing many from travelling either locally or abroad for fishing, I'm dying to get out, but also to get this reel christened and making loud complaints!
20210401_200434.jpg
20210401_200513.jpg
20210401_200533.jpg
20210401_200546.jpg
20210401_200600.jpg
20210401_200808.jpg
20210401_201414.jpg
20210401_201525.jpg
20210401_201538.jpg