Reflections on the Loch - an experts take

morangiedave

The prospect of a week convalescing necessitated the purchasing of a lengthy book. Based on my previous book purchases Amazon recommended 'Reflections on the Loch' by Stan Headley. I've already got the Loch fishers Bible which I found quite good and would recommend. The down side to Refections on the Loch is it's a colletion of Trout and Salmon articles. I say down side because each article would have been subject to the insidious editorial of the aforementioned. The 47 articles run to 300 pages and some pictures. Think Bruce Sandison's 'Angling Lines' except from a working class prospective. At £25 it works out to around 50p an article, neither Headley nor the publisher are going to get rich on the sales of any book on fishing hence the price tag. I went into it with my eyes open so the short punchy nature was exactly as expected although I was a little disappointed Headley didn't revisit some of them an put more meat on the bones free from very obvious constraints. Maybe a thought for the second edition which could be a £9.99 paperback. There's more honesty that I expected with Headley telling you as it was, good or bad, successful or otherwise. Unfortunately there's a smattering of sexism dressed up as humor which belongs in the last century if it ever belonged anywhere. I'm surprised the publisher didn't deal with this, again maybe something for the paperback. Most interesting was the Irish Lochs and perhaps not surprising his Orkney forays. Most disappointing was Loch Ailsh, Maree and Amhuinnsuide more effort required. Loch Hope deserved better perhaps an article each for top, middle, and bottom. The least said about Loch Naver the better. For me the good made up for the mediocre and the nonsense. The article on C&R is pretty well reasoned and thought through, bùt his behaviour a little further on is a wee bit puzzling. Perhaps playing to the crowd. His reliance on Ghillies is also odd. He does address this describing fishing as a 'team game' there's a fair bit of bro-mancing going on. Then in the last article hit's the nail on the head 'ghillies play the percentage game'.

Fishing to me is grabbing a rod, a pocket full of flies and heading out to a loch sniffing the air then setting about it. If I don't catch then I'll learn from it and know better the next time. What it's not is sitting in a chair being rowed round a loch by someone who spends most of the year painting fences or kicking a tin can down the road. After all Headley wrote the Loch Fishers Bible. Has he not read his own book ?

20210906_195938.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

morangiedave

Can't figure out how to edit this so someone who does remove the word Maree from the start 🤣

Tangled

There should be an 'edit' next to 'report' at the bottom left of your post (under the picture).

Put a couple of paragraph line spaces in while you’re in there :)

Whinging pom

Unless your doing it with your phone in which case hit the :-
report…triangle down ( in blue) .
Hit the blue triangle and the edit option will appear ( I’d be lost without it 😁).

Latest posts