Reminder to Minn Kota owners...

Cap'n Fishy

... Give your motor a check-over regularly to make sure all its bits and bobs are screwed up tight and/or seated in the correct place.

I was coming off Menteith this week and spotted the bolt that holds the whole head assembly to the shaft was sticking out! When I looked closer, the nut that should be attached to the back of it was gone!

So, when I got it home, I had to try and find a nut to put on the bolt. Not easy. The nut sits in a hexagonal recess, so it has to be an exact fit. I went through all my myriad bits and bobs of nuts and bolts and screws, looking for a match. Frustratingly, I came so close on several occasions, only to be thwarted by it being slightly too wide for the recess, or slightly too narrow to grip the sides of the recess.

I have not one, but 2 old Minn Kotas. One is still just about functional; the older one in the 'breaking for spares' category. The less old one was a similar design, so its nut would do, except it was seized solid. Then I spotted the height adjustment collar has much the same nut and bolt assembly. Ahah! I undid it and tried it for a fit. Agonisingly, it was just too big for the recess!

I dug out the oldest model, from about 1990, and had a look at its head assembly bolt. Well, it looked much the same, despite the different design. I put a screwdriver on the bolt and this one did undo. I took the nut and tried it on. It fitted... just about... not sure it is exactly the same size, but it went in the recess and it didn't turn when I screwed the bolt into it. Phew!

But anyhoo, quite apart from the number of folk who lose their Minn Kota propellers when reversing, it is worth giving your Minn Kota a regular check to make sure everything is tight and where it should be sitting. While I was attending to the missing nut, I spotted the axle for the transom mount was a wee bit off-centre. It just needed a few taps with a tack hammer to get it centred, but the gist of it is that there is nothing locking it in position and it can float off to one side any time it feels like doing it!

Col

sage5

... Give your motor a check-over regularly to make sure all its bits and bobs are screwed up tight and/or seated in the correct place.

I was coming off Menteith this week and spotted the bolt that holds the whole head assembly to the shaft was sticking out! When I looked closer, the nut that should be attached to the back of it was gone!

So, when I got it home, I had to try and find a nut to put on the bolt. Not easy. The nut sits in a hexagonal recess, so it has to be an exact fit. I went through all my myriad bits and bobs of nuts and bolts and screws, looking for a match. Frustratingly, I came so close on several occasions, only to be thwarted by it being slightly too wide for the recess, or slightly too narrow to grip the sides of the recess.

I have not one, but 2 old Minn Kotas. One is still just about functional; the older one in the 'breaking for spares' category. The less old one was a similar design, so its nut would do, except it was seized solid. Then I spotted the height adjustment collar has much the same nut and bolt assembly. Ahah! I undid it and tried it for a fit. Agonisingly, it was just too big for the recess!

I dug out the oldest model, from about 1990, and had a look at its head assembly bolt. Well, it looked much the same, despite the different design. I put a screwdriver on the bolt and this one did undo. I took the nut and tried it on. It fitted... just about... not sure it is exactly the same size, but it went in the recess and it didn't turn when I screwed the bolt into it. Phew!

But anyhoo, quite apart from the number of folk who lose their Minn Kota propellers when reversing, it is worth giving your Minn Kota a regular check to make sure everything is tight and where it should be sitting. While I was attending to the missing nut, I spotted the axle for the transom mount was a wee bit off-centre. It just needed a few taps with a tack hammer to get it centred, but the gist of it is that there is nothing locking it in position and it can float off to one side any time it feels like doing it!

Col
Many thanks for that report Col, I will check my own over
Duncan

Wee Jimmy

Good shout Col....I do check the prop locking nut regularly on mine but hadn’t even thought of the one you mention...👍

3lbgrayling

I have had all the problems you mention Col and some..Now am a regular checker. always make sure you have a crush washer behind the nut holdind the prop. and if motoring under power with petrol engine always tilt the prop out of water(or you will one day arrive with no prop)

Jim

grandad keith

Col
Get yourself some threadlock,. Halfords or some other motor factor will sell.

Cap'n Fishy

I wonder if they'll be AF nuts and bolts from that era, they are on my old engines and lawnmowers

Weird - I tried to find them on the Minn Kota spares internet shops, and I can find the screw part, but not the nut that goes on it???

I've emailed a couple of them to ask...

Col

Zugbug

Timely Col. Out on Glencorse a week and a half back and I wrapped my leader round the prop, when I tilted the engine a bit of bolt hit the boat. At the end of the day I found it was the bolt through the orange tilting handle. The tilt handle is still tight but the bolt appears sheared on each end.
Ive barely touched the engine in about 15 years and thought it was bullet proof. Time for a wee bit of TLC I think!

Bobfly2

I have an old and a newish Minn Kota plus 2 spare prop nuts. All four have nylon anti vibe collars.

Latest posts