Removed info as to much agro

johngolden

Was only trying to help other fisheries with an argulus problem

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

As Promised my article about my work on “Argulus”

The following article is 100% research and trials done by myself here at the “Goldenloch” over a period of 10 years, first starting in 2011, during a very long hot summer, which we have had 7 off in the last 10 years, we are located as most will know one mile from Lindores Loch, which was one of the first lochs in Scotland to be devastated by Argulus in and around the 1990s, the train of thought was that the lice were imported in the fish stock, which were bought from a supplier in Yorkshire, the operator at Lindores also supplied fish to Loch Fitty, plus a couple of smaller lochs, they also became infected, he had offered us these fish, but it was known that the quality was poor and were often referred to as resembling black rubber torches, we never bought any, but the wildlife does travel back and forth between the two places and eventually the argulus reached us, Now Lindores which was heavily infected some 20 + years ago, there is a train of thought that puts the initial infection at about 1989 approximately which gave the loch 10 years before it basically died as a supporter of rainbow trout, we operated at our fishery net dip tanks for equipment since 1999 and I would say that these are very effective at keeping the nets clean, however like all procedures they are not used 100% but it is another aid in stopping the infections as one louse can lay thousands of eggs.

Over these 20+ years I have used many different products to try to control Argulus, Currently, there are no approved pesticides in the UK for the control and treatment of this parasite, but several chemicals including some organophosphates and diflubenzuron have been used elsewhere with some limited success. What I will say however is that 100% there is no clearance in the UK, nor are there any Products allowed to control argulus. It’s a bit like Reglone a fantastic herbicide, however it wasn’t used enough so the licence to use it was withdrawn.

However, I started experimenting with Hydrogen Peroxide, it has a common use by the breeders of koi carp, as a dip solution, in which carp infected with lice are dipped into a solution and hey presto the lice die and fall off. This is a process that is recognised and has been for years.

With this fact, I started using a mild solution of Hydrogen Peroxide on an area of the “Goldenloch”, I knew had a high concentration of affected fish, lo and behold it seemed to work.

After some rather intense calculations the next year, total volume of the loch, the concentration of the product, I treated 25 % of the loch in late July, again the quantity of infected fish dropped, it seemed to be that for say a couple of weeks after treatment a particular area would fish well, with virtually no infected fish. Surprisingly, the fish seemed to move into this treated area.

Last year 2020, we had lockdown, we were closed for fishing, coupled with some really hot weather, perfect in a shallow water like mine for the lice to hatch, so before opening I treated the whole loch (treated at a rate I had worked out from my previous trials) and left it for a week, 100% no fish fatalities, but better still no more fish jumping out the water, on the commencement of fishing for the rest of the season only two fish caught out of thousands stocked. Fish quality was superb and the fights from the fish were well commented on.

{Hydrogen peroxide is already used by the Environment Agency during pollution incidents to raise oxygen levels for fish and stop them from effectively suffocating. Peroxide can also help where large numbers of fish can become trapped in small areas of water and need extra aeration to help them survive.23 Aug 2017} this was a quote from SEPA

When added to water, hydrogen peroxide slowly breaks down into oxygen and water over time, and the formation of these by-products is one reason that hydrogen peroxide is considered to be relatively safe for the environment. Hydrogen peroxide's highly reactive nature, similar in some respects to the reactivity of potassium permanganate, makes it ideal for use in aquaculture against numerous external fish-disease-causing organisms.

So, the above is my experiments and facts, I believe that applied properly at the correct rate, Hydrogen Peroxide could be a game changer for small still water fisheries that have become infested with Argulus, I am only telling you what I have done, obviously I take no responsibility for what other people want to do, but I felt that under the current situation with much warmer summers and the devastating way Argulus can infect fisheries it would be wrong of me not to share this information.

If a water is infected with argulus and left untreated it becomes unfishable the fish are abhorrent and die a horrible death, in captivity IE, infected carp, they dip them in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide, as a cure.

Fast flowing water and a high turnover of fish is another cure, but if that is not possible then treating the water is the only way.

I am happy to discuss any of the above on 01337840355 or 07968006367 or email john@john-nicol.co.uk
Just to filter out some of the bullshit posted above.
Argulus, as those who fished Lindores will know, were present going back to the days of Massie Hamilton, long before the introduction of any Yorkshire fish. The reasons for their explosion were basically two fold, the main being stock density.
My old man introduced the fish direct from Yorkshire many times, occasionally some went to Lochmill, which incidentally remains argulus free to this day despite having many loads of Yorkshire fish, maybe we kept the ones with Argulus to ourselves?
At no time did my old man supply fish to Fitty, he never supplied fish to anyone. Maybe Fitty contacted the same supplier themselves, and got their own argulus carrying fish? He ran a fishery, not a hatchery, only Newburgh AC occasionally benefitted.
Facts, John. Stick to the facts.
Train of thought my arse, made up nonsense more like.
As for the quality of those Yorkshire fish being poor, with that you show your true ignorance. Anglers from far and wide ensured Lindores was booked solidly to fish for them, continually, in fact as you well know we were continually pointing anglers who couldn’t get a boat, in your direction, much, I have to say against my judgement. I wanted to send them anywhere else, but my Dad for some reason insisted we put the business your way.
I’ll be passing this on to him today (Sunday) as it’s not the first time you have put into print blatant lies about his time at Lindores and he’s too much of a gentleman to react, but this time I will offer to bring him up once lockdown is over and he can explain fully to you the true timelines and reasons for Argulus in Lindores and the subsequent explosion.
He’s considerably more diplomatic than I am.

Last edited:

johngolden

The point of my article is nothing to do with blame or who done it, it is a fact that Lindores was the first infected, that it became uneconomical to fish it due to the Argulus infestation, my point in my article is more about informing others that there is something out there that can be used and is not illegal, the rest of what you say I am not prepared to comment on as it bears no bearing or relevance on what is written

Scotty Mitchell

The point of my article is nothing to do with blame or who done it, it is a fact that Lindores was the first infected, that it became uneconomical to fish it due to the Argulus infestation, my point in my article is more about informing others that there is something out there that can be used and is not illegal, the rest of what you say I am not prepared to comment on as it bears no bearing or relevance on what is written
Exactly. So why mention the Yorkshire fish as being the root cause of the infestation, which you, I and everyone else who has a workable knowledge of this issue knows fine well isn’t true?
You were NEVER offered Yorkshire fish by my old man, he never liked you enough to let you in on the deal, simple. He tolerated you as a near neighbour, more than I’d have ever done.
You’ve never been one to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn though.
My old man always says that I should just ignore your little digs here and there about him and his time at Lindores, but as I said he’s the diplomat as you well know, and the amount of money you made of our customer overspill during those years testify to that, but on this occasion and any future ones whereby you blatantly post mistruths that are easily called out, I won’t ignore any longer.
There are blatant lies on your post.
Deal with it is my advice, quickly.
The point is very much of Blame, and fine well you know it, even years have not quashed your bitter attitude towards my family.
I’ve just spoken with my Dad, who, as ever laughed off your lies, but I can’t and won’t.
Contact Monikie angling club and Newburgh AC for confirmation of where and when the Yorkshire fish arrived.
Where did Fitty come from? Your imagination I guess.
You don’t just lie on a public forum and get away with it.
I won’t report the post as I’m no grass.

Last edited:

deddog

As a koi keeper for nearly thirty years I have never heard of HP (Hydrogen Peroxide) being used as a treatment for any parasite of koi carp either here in the UK or by the Japanese breeders. Dips containing PP (Potassium permanganate) are used frequently by breeders after the mud ponds are harvested to eradicate parasites. These dips are so concentrated that more than a few minutes exposure would also kill the fish.
Both PP and HP are strong oxidizing agents, they are not selective, they will oxidize all organic material. If HP kills Argulus then it likely kills all other aquatic invertebrate life too.
Argulus is the bane of Salmon farming, if HP is effective as a treatment why do the farms feel the need to continue dumping huge quantities of Organophosphates into the environment?
Dosing any natural body of water with an oxidizing solution is irresponsible and probably illegal anyway how on earth do you dose only twenty five percent of a single body of water?

Scotty Mitchell

As a koi keeper for nearly thirty years I have never heard of HP (Hydrogen Peroxide) being used as a treatment for any parasite of koi carp either here in the UK or by the Japanese breeders. Dips containing PP (Potassium permanganate) are used frequently by breeders after the mud ponds are harvested to eradicate parasites. These dips are so concentrated that more than a few minutes exposure would also kill the fish.
Both PP and HP are strong oxidizing agents, they are not selective, they will oxidize all organic material. If HP kills Argulus then it likely kills all other aquatic invertebrate life too.
Argulus is the bane of Salmon farming, if HP is effective as a treatment why do the farms feel the need to continue dumping huge quantities of Organophosphates into the environment?
Dosing any natural body of water with an oxidizing solution is irresponsible and probably illegal anyway how on earth do you dose only twenty five percent of a single body of water?
During the extensive research into viable options to control the parasite in Lindores it was very quickly ruled out.
Once commercial stocking ceased, it took years for the numbers to dwindle, some were lured in to a false sense of security by this, and further commercial stockings took place.....guess what?

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

I see you have edited out the lies about my Dad being a fish supplier to Loch Fitty and various others, without any apology.
Not the first time either, is it?
Hopefully you have finally learned to keep your mouth shut and it’ll be the last.

Scotty Mitchell

Just in case anyone missed it, here’ John telling lies about my Dad, Andy.
He was the “operator” John refers to, the rest, is fiction. Spiteful, nasty lies.
357D5FF4-4A06-47C3-A617-0490D2F38EA1.png

BobP

Argulus is the most common fish louse in most of the northern hemisphere. It can, and has, caused significant fish mortalities, quite a few of which I have seen in my career with the EA.

Rainbow trout are quite susceptible which I found surprising as they are an active species. Many coarse fish species are also quite susceptible, particularly bream, tench, perch and pike. Reduction in potential host species is one control mechanism, so if a trout fishery has a lot of coarse fish then reducing their numbers also reduces the number of hosts and therefore the number of egg-laying females.

There is now a very good method of reducing Argulus. It is cheap and effective. The females lay their eggs on hard surfaces so the idea is to provide those hard surfaces and once they are covered in eggs to remove it, replace with another clean hard surface, dry out and clean the original and so on. Black plastic pipes seem to work very well. The method is written up on the web and five minutes will soon take interested parties there.

A simple louse that is there in the water anyway is barely worth hissy fits on here.

Scotty Mitchell

Argulus is the most common fish louse in most of the northern hemisphere. It can, and has, caused significant fish mortalities, quite a few of which I have seen in my career with the EA.

Rainbow trout are quite susceptible which I found surprising as they are an active species. Many coarse fish species are also quite susceptible, particularly bream, tench, perch and pike. Reduction in potential host species is one control mechanism, so if a trout fishery has a lot of coarse fish then reducing their numbers also reduces the number of hosts and therefore the number of egg-laying females.

There is now a very good method of reducing Argulus. It is cheap and effective. The females lay their eggs on hard surfaces so the idea is to provide those hard surfaces and once they are covered in eggs to remove it, replace with another clean hard surface, dry out and clean the original and so on. Black plastic pipes seem to work very well. The method is written up on the web and five minutes will soon take interested parties there.

A simple louse that is there in the water anyway is barely worth hissy fits on here.
Agreed Bob, but when it gets down to your Family members being lied about on a public forum, one simply has to call it out and ensure the truth is known.
I simply won’t accept blatant lies being spun about my family, and offer no apologies for my reaction, in fact I’m quite proud of my restraint.

Latest posts