Removing a glued on reel seat from a cane rod

roadrunner1000

Hello,

I hunted down a cane rod that my Dad bought at a boot fair in 1984 and I've decided to strip it down and rebuild. No value in the rod , just for sentimental reasons and something to do this winter. No makers mark but the rod does have 'The Viking' hand written on the butt.

How best to remove the metal reel seat ? I've come across :

Place in a plastic bag and boil until the glue softens
Use a heat gun
Cut through the metal with a dremel or similar

Photo attached

Many thanks !!

Attachments

• Reel_seat.jpg
    Reel_seat.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28

nymphist

Many moons ago i used the boil with a bag on a carbon rod and it worked fine for removing the reel seat.

arkle

Carefully check it over to ensure that no nails or pins have been used to fix it in place, probably a hot air paint stripper gun might be your best bet if not, as very often epoxy was used to fix reel seats. Start at the butt end, after removing the rubber & work your way up, revolving the rod at all times to avoid any hot-spots. That way, you're less likely to damage the cork. If that does nothing, it's hacksaw time, with 2 cuts running along the seat at 180 degrees approx,to each other & held in a suitable vice. A bit safer than a dremmel type tool.

roadrunner1000

Thanks both (y) . I have a heat gun in the attic , will have a go this weekend . I read about a possible pin so will keep an eye out for one....

AntonB

I have done this a few times and find dipping in a thermos flask to be the least messy and it supports the butt and you can leave it safely unattended.

Latest posts