Removing a set in a rod tip?

stevel

Yes translucent are probably much easier to match.
Some makers still use CP however like my maker and B&W still do too.
The thread for my rod which had 1 ring come out required looking at and buying 5-6 different shades of purple (of the same manufacturer) and also tipping colour; then making up samples and comparing them against the rod wraps, and it still didn't match. It required a full rewrap.
Some thread makers have also closed shop so supplies for those are dwindling or non-existent, also requiring a full rewrap or "live with it"

Last edited:

beetlebum

Well the rod arrived this morning and I have to say, the set doesn't appear too bad at all. Some of the wraps could do with a little more varnish and the grip is well worn but I'm really happy with it. I'll put a line through it and see what it casts like. It's rated HDH which I believe is equivalent of a modern dt6...is this right? I don't have a 6 line currently but I have a fair few 5's of varying tapers so I'll have a play next time I get chance.

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Have to agree with the comment regarding short scoop nets. I had to remind myself when using cane that you cant play fish with the rod at the same angle as you can with Carbon rod needs to be at a much shallower angle , Cane rods are great though I confess I keep mine for the summer and silk lines and warm evenings with rising fish.

O M W

bbamboo

One tip I would like to pass on ,when playing a large fish which requires time to bring to the net. Turn the the blank over periodically so the guides face upwards upwards it will prolong the life of your rid tips. It's easy to do and becomes second nature after a few goes..

Latest posts