Repairing leaking breathable waders

keora

I have a pair of Vision waders that are starting to leak. It seems to be just above the knee on the left leg. The fabric is thinner in this area than the fabric used from the ankle up to the knee.

The problem is that I can't actually locate where the leak is. There are no cuts or punctures in the fabric. They leaked again this afternoon while I was fishing. I took the waders off within about 15 minutes of the leak starting, but the waders inside just looked a bit damp - there wasn't a small area that was wetter than the rest.

I'm not sure what to do. I could turn the waders inside out, hang them up and then slowly pour water into each leg while keeping a look out for water leaking through the fabric.

Have members any advice please on how to find the leak?

speytime

There's a couple of simple methods, the one you suggested using water but lay them in the bath or on the lawn before putting water in the leg, empty the water out of the top before trying to lift them.
Or
A spray bottle with a dash of fairy liquid, get as much air as possible in the waders then grip them around the top, give the area a spray with the soapy water while pressing the air out, you'll see it bubble.

Al

jaybeegee

Good tips from Al. You can also trap air in the leaky leg and immerse in a bath of water looking for bubbles. Most wader leaks, other than obvious tears and punctures are on a seam.

B

bibio1st

If you turn them inside out, look for a tiny brown spec in the area where they leak, thats how I found my latest pin hole leak, also if filling a leg with water having them inside out helps so you can mark where it is without it showing on the outside, another lesson learnt :rolleyes:
I wear a pair of cheap waterproof over trousers under my waders to stop minor leaks wetting my jogger bottoms.

Steve

airsprite

Take your waders into a very dark Garage or shed.
Put a very strong torch or lamp inside, work around the area you suspect the leak is, where you see the light shining through, mark with a pen and then use aqua sure to seal.
As Speytime says in the previous post, most leaks are on the seams.

Steve

keora

Great! Thank you for all your helpful replies. I'll be busy this weekend searching for the leak.

ozfisher

Wet the waders thoroughly inside and out, turn them inside out and squirt with rubbing alcohol. Leaks, even pin sized will turn up as a dark spot. Apply aquaseal to your thumb and smear over the dark patch. Waders as good as new again.

speytime

Wet the waders thoroughly inside and out, turn them inside out and squirt with rubbing alcohol. Leaks, even pin sized will turn up as a dark spot. Apply aquaseal to your thumb and smear over the dark patch. Waders as good as new again.
I think you'll find ipa only works with goretex.
That aside it's beyond me why anyone would spend a tenner on ipa when water does the very same job, even with pin holes but each to there own 👍

Secret Angler

Chances are the laminate is coming apart - it may look bubbly in places if so. In which case the bin (or back to the shop if a long guarantee or they're hardly worn - happened to me).

keora

Thank you for the many replies.

Secret Angler, from what you describe about the laminate looking "bubbly," that's what I saw.

I turned the waders inside out, hung them up in the garage, and poured lots of water in the left leg, up to the knee. I left it for half an hour, no leaks seen. I poured in another 6 inches of water. Water immediately started leaking from a swollen area of the laminate - say 2 inches by a quarter of an inch.

I tipped out all the water and left the waders to dry inside out. When dry, the swollen area disappeared, and there were no signs of any fault in the surface. Yet there's a few other areas where there's the occasional bubble or crease, even when dry, but they don't leak.