Fly Fishing Forum banner

Replacement sew in type nets.

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ejw 
#1 ·
I want to replace the rubber mesh net on my scoop net with a minnow mesh net, must be the type that’s sewn into the frame, not the loop over the frame type.
ive googled Snowbee and loads of others but no joy yet, can anyone advise please.
I need one 272x420 mm internal.
Thanks.

#2 ·
#12 ·
Update, net arrived today !! 8 days from ordering. Looks ok, mesh may be a bit large for some. approx 1" x 3/4" oblong mesh.
Have several "Willow" poles, that now need bending into shape, best one will get the net.
I made one with a branch once, dogwood or something, doubled it over and fed it through the loops then two zip ties to form a handle, worked ok for a bit.

#14 ·
I think the original thread is long gone now but I made a net frame from steamed ash, cut into strips then steamed, then laminated up, looked the biz but don't remember ever finishing it, think I gave it to Steven, it's quite a simple process apart from the jig to clamp it which is 80% of the job, I only did it because I had loads of strips of ash from another job and a steamer handy, I preferred the one made from the branch, it worked and took about 20mins to make.

I actually prefer a telescopic travel net that I can pack away and hike with.

#15 ·
On my local river, I never used a net, all fish released by hand. I used to post pictures of the fish on the club website as some doubted the numbers and size of them, but I got complaints ? Not for catching them or the size, but that I was holding them or if taken in the water, that they were too exhausted to survive ?
Always had trouble with a "normal" nets catching on undergrowth. Two seasons ago I started using a "rubber mesh" net and had the magnet "thingy" on my back. Works a treat, now I can take a snap of the fish in the water / net. As posted, just wanted to use some of the Willow from the river to make one of these nets. Hopefully this will now happen.

As to posting, I retired from the Clubs committee and one role I have had for 30+ years was "Catch returns" hence my posting, to encourage members to do it. Always difficult, but built up a following who would supply details. (always a good thing to have, just in case there is a pollution incident )
This is not necessary for me now, as someone else will be taking on this role, so pictures are just for my records.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.