Replacing my reel seat on my vision.....

paulfish_1

Hi. I have a 9’ #6 vision GT four catapult that I love. I would like to replace the reel seat. I have no rod building experience so I’m looking for some advice to make sure I buy the correct components.
I have watched some videos on YouTube and I’m happy I can do this myself.
I would like a black up locking reel seat and a very small fighting butt to fit? I’m confused about fitting the butt. Do they fit the seat and if so do I need to buy the butt and seat to match.

Thanks
Paul

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Paul. Am I right in thinking that your GT4 is a three-piece? And are there any guides on the butt section? Sorry, I can't find any clear pics of this model.

My first concern is that when you remove the old seat you'll damage the cork hood if the seat is recessed. Then you'll have to bore and shape a new shive to repair the handle and house the reel seat hood of your new seat.
Alternatively, you could buy a new handle with the correct hood recess already reamed, then cut off and glue on the hood from that. (Prob. easiest method).
Or, you could replace the entire cork grip - but may have to be fitted top-down and that will mean removing the winding check and any guides. Removing the check will probably necessitate removing any epoxy over a logo and possibly damaging the logo as a result.
To fit a new grip from the butt you'd have to ream it to accept the butt O.D. at the top. If that's greater that the w/c's O.D. then you'll be left with a gap that will require filler to mask it.

Regarding fighting butts there are two basic types - fixed and removeable.
A Fixed f/b is simply glued onto the base of the butt and should never move. E.g. Here. This will push the reel seat and handle further up the blank dependant on the f/b's length. This may matter in your case.

There are several ways to make a removeable f/b. The easiest is to buy a PacBay kit like this. Note: You'll need to buy an appropriate butt cap if you intend occasionally not using the f/b.
Or you can buy the metalwork alone and fashion or buy and add your own fighting butt. This method doesn't impinge on the handle and seat's original position and the f/b adds length to the rod. You may find it no longer fits its bag or tube if the butt is still attached (hence the butt cap being worth purchasing - buy two, you're bound to loose one! ;) ).

When selecting your new reel seat ensure that it has a suitable I.D. to fit over the blank's O.D. and that its hood will fit your handle's hood recess snugly. Measure the length of your old seat and match that with the new one too.
So: Your new reel seat should have:
a) An appropriate hood O.D. for the upper grip's recess.
b) An appropriate I.D. to fit the blank. (You won't know this until you've got the old seat off).
c) The same length as that it is replacing.

Finally, an aesthetics thing. Some reel seats intended for d-h and f/b use have a collar which sits at the base of the seat, glued to the seat and the lower grip/f/b - it's another winding check, in effect, and gives a smooth visual transition between seat and butt grip. They're not essential but I thought you might like to bear it in mind as another option. E.g. Here (prob. too big a seat for you).

After all that, good luck if you go ahead!
James.

paulfish_1

Thanks very much for your detail reply James. I had spoked to Mark Williams on Etsy as I was going to order the reel seat and fight butt from him. He pretty much said the same thing as yourself. It’s either rebuild the bottom section or leave it well alone.
Yeah you are right when you say the rod is a 3 piece. I am just going to leave it alone haha. I will keep an eye out for a rod I may learn to like as much.
In the future I may give it a go but I have the fear of ruining the rod. I also like the handle very much. The shape suits me. I don’t want to change it.

Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated.

Tight lines
Paul

Lewis Chessman

You're welcome, Paul. If you're interested in a project why not strip down an old, unloved rod and rebuild it, or buy a decent oldie on eBay and attack that?
I started a couple of years ago by just re-whipping the eyes on a buggy-whip of a rod, then moved on to whole rebuilds and then new blanks. You can begin with just a carboard box, thread, blades and epoxy, so there's no major outlay before you see if it's your kinda cuppa.

I think you're right to leave the Vision alone - for now, anyway. I have the 14 ft #10 GT4 Catapult and a Catapult 115, 15' #10. The latter is much prettier and a tad faster, but I prefer the 14' GT4, myself. They still fetch a decent price 2nd hand so probably best left original in case you ever want to 'upgrade'.

paulfish_1

Cheers. Yeah I think I will give it a go at some point. I have flirted with the idea of the epic build your own but it’s still a big outlay for a rod I’ve never cast and might not finish particularly well.

I’ve just had a rush of blood and ordered a Scott flex in 9’ #6 so I may be moving the vision on after all.

Paul