Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reservoir fishing book suggestion?

8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  JayP 
#1 ·
A good friend of mine is moving from small stillwaters to reservoir fishing and I want to send him a book that will ease his transition, any suggestions on a book that would include both bank and boat fishing would be appreciated.

Cheers - JayP

#27 ·
He was in the Tom Ivens, Dick Shrives, and slightly later, Richard Walker and Bob Church era, all of whom wrote books that still stand up today. For those preferring an imitative approach Brian Clarke's book was a ground breaker!

Reactions: Wee Jimmy
#10 ·
Arthur Cove top of my list , Stan headleys lochfishin bible, Sparttons boat fishing ,Bob Church had some good stuff ,Dennis mosses recent boook .Gordon fraser sort of rehashes Arthur Cove with slight variences ,

#13 ·
Tom Ivens book "Still Water Fly-Fishing" ....old but excellent and Gordon Fraser " Mastering The Nymph"....not as old but good. These books would stand anybody in good stead. Of course they are not up on modern tackle but everything else is true today and without the bullsh1t.

#22 ·
I could not find the book I was looking for.:eek:mg:
But for future reference here are some other books
Resrvoir trout fishing - Tom Saville
Reservoir trout fishing - Bob Church
Competative Fly-fishing -Tony Pawson
Flyfishing skills on Stillwater -Peter Mckenzie Philps

• Sad
Reactions: JayP
#26 ·
Ivens' book has been superseded by later books.
Some most excellent books have been referred to but the emphasis is very much on boat fishing.
For someone wanting to fish reservoirs Brian Clarkes' The Pursuit of Stillwater Trout is highly recommended,

Rusty

#28 ·
The Loch Fishers' Bible is a really splendid book but it is about trout fishing in Scotland as inferred by the title.
The Pursuit of Stillwater Trout by Brian Clarke is my recommendation to anyone getting into reservoir trout fishing. It takes you from initial failure right through to enlightenment. Although it was written long ago it is still a great read and relevant.
Rusty

#31 ·
Well he moved to Wales and fishes rivers and small llyns and I moved from Portugal back to the UK and live about 15 minutes from Grafham water. Fished Grafham for about 2 years now and had some cracking days from bank and boat including a very nice and memorable 5lb brownie on a dry daddy last summer.

Book wise I bought Dennis Moss's Trout From a Boat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.