Retirer Caddis

guest70

The photo is a bit noisy I know, but I thought I'd post this because you don't see much hereabouts regarding this popular comp river pattern. A Davie Parker pattern I believe, and one worth using as a big searching fly for brisk water. I have a couple of brawling upland streams in mind this coming season, and they'll both be receiving a bit of Retirer treatment I reckon.....

Like I said, not much blurb around on this one. My thanks are due to Gary Hyde for a couple of pointers on its tying; I hope I've got somewhere near the intended effect here.

12801535825_6c8248a6a1_c.jpg

M

Last edited:

sculpin_crusader

I stubbed across this pattern last year, in an old FF&FT magazine; no idea which issue though. Looks good Matt, but I have a lack of brisk water.

hydropsyched

The photo is a bit noisy I know, but I thought I'd post this because you don't see much hereabouts regarding this popular comp river pattern. A Davie Parker pattern I believe, and one worth using as a big searching fly for brisk water. I have a couple of brawling upland streams in mind this coming season, and they'll both be receiving a bit of Retirer treatment I reckon.....

Like I said, not much blurb around on this one. My thanks are due to Gary Hyde for a couple of pointers on its tying; I hope I've got somewhere near the intended effect here.

12801535825_6c8248a6a1_c.jpg

M
Interested to know what the winging material is under the deer hair. Is it some sort of poly yarn or snowshoe? Needs to be pretty buoyant in such water so maybe tiemco aero wing?

Pete T

Trade Member
A cracking fly (nice tying too) great in fast water but has worked equally well in slower water too. Great one for Dartmoor in smaller sizes.

The shuck is such a great trigger point.

Pete

rabmax

Lovely flies again.Been wondering what the under wing material is .Looks a bit crinkly for Aero Dry Wing.:)

guest70

Lovely flies again.Been wondering what the under wing material is .Looks a bit crinkly for Aero Dry Wing.:)

Thanks! Well I've cheated a bit there to be honest - I'm told the dressing calls for grey poly yarn of some description. I didn't have any to hand so used grey Z-Lon. Not the same float properties I know, but I like the shuck-like translucency and with the amount of elk bunched in there I would imagine it will stay well up....... Proof must be in the testing I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts