Retro/Old School/Traditional Patterns

patk

Ive noticed of late, well for as long as I'm fishing for seatrout 40 years or so a certain apology or could be said an embarrassment for using "traditional" or "older" patterns for catching these tourists. Can anyone point me towards revolutionary new patterns that work as well as an Alexandra/Butcher/ Teal Blue silver/ Mallard Claret/ Watsons/ Connemara Black/Dunkeld/Kingsmill/ Medicine/Peter Ross/Sunk Lure/Secret Weapon/surface Lure etc etc? Im up for tying and trying p

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Ive noticed of late, well for as long as I'm fishing for seatrout 40 years or so a certain apology or could be said an embarrassment for using "traditional" or "older" patterns for catching these tourists. Can anyone point me towards revolutionary new patterns that work as well as an Alexandra/Butcher/ Teal Blue silver/ Mallard Claret/ Watsons/ Connemara Black/Dunkeld/Kingsmill/ Medicine/Peter Ross/Sunk Lure/Secret Weapon/surface Lure etc etc? Im up for tying and trying p
Silver stoats tail, tyed with golden pheasant crest feathers as tail, and black dyed squirel tail as overwing.
Makes it a bit different from original stoats tail fly, but it worked for me!

ian1104

I do well on my own tying which is a mix between a Alexandra, Teal Blue and Silver and a Medicine fly. I call it the Seiont Special after the river where it is fished and it accounted for a 10 lb fish for me last year in a size 8.
seiont special.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

I fish for loch sea trout, rather than river sea trout, so my flies are intended for fishing from a drifting boat. Also, I am fishing a 3-fly team, so each is filling a position on the cast. But if you take that on board, I would say the flies I use are more modern dressings. These are some of my top wet flies of recent years...

Best tail fly: Silver Clan Chief Mini-lure:...

Silver-chief_0036.jpg

Hook: Kamasan B270, size 10
Tail: Globrite 5 over Globrite 9
Body: flat silver lurex
Body hackle: Badger cock, dyed scarlet
Rib Silver wire
Wing: 2 golden pheasant body feathers, dyed black
Head hackle: black cock

Best middle fly: Roag Blue Dabbler...

BroraFlies10May19_1443.jpg

Hook: Kamasan B175 size 10
Tag: silver tinsel
Tail: bronze mallard
Body: kingfisher blue seal's fur
Body hackle: kingfisher blue cock
Rib: oval silver
Wing: cloak of bronze mallard
Sides: 2 strands of orange 'Krinkle Mirror Flash'
Cheeks: jungle cock

Best bob fly: WOIGO Kate Muddler...

KateMuddler_4682.jpg

Hook: Kamasan B175 size 10
Tag: silver tinsel
Tail: GP crest over Globrite 5
Body: black seal
Body hackle: black cock
Collar and head: roe deer dyed WOIGO

I also use dry flies when the situation calls for them - eg a flat calm with fish rising, and this has proved to be the sort of thing that works...

Black and red daddy-hog...

Hope2018_2764.jpg

Hook: Kamasan B830 size 10
Body: bright red seal
Legs: cock pheasant tail fibres dyed balck, twice-knotted
Wing and head: deer hair dyed black

I also do a lot of dapping, all with artificials of a modern bent...

Boxes26Mar19_9130.jpg

Col

easker1

I used to tie sixe12 General practitioners for a guy in the Falkland Islands he swore by them, easker1

LukeNZ

I had the idea to tie a shrimp fly type pattern for loch sea trout and salmon. This was it...

Shrimp07Dec18_7971.jpg

It's still never really had much of a chance to prove itself though.

Col
Very nice tie Cap'n.

A change in colour to an olive/blue blend and it would be a great representation of "koura"; a small fresh water crayfish that Taupo region lakes and rivers are full of.

Rainbow trout are very fond of them here.

Might tie a few up just like that in olive/blue hue, and give em a go.

🙃

Cap'n Fishy

Very nice tie Cap'n.

A change in colour to an olive/blue blend and it would be a great representation of "koura"; a small fresh water crayfish that Taupo region lakes and rivers are full of.

Rainbow trout are very fond of them here.

Might tie a few up just like that in olive/blue hue, and give em a go.

🙃

Cheers. The rear end is formed from golden pheasant body feathers. You might find the colours you are looking for on a ring-necked pheasant or an exotic variant, for example a melanistic...

Melanistic.jpg

Or a 'Michigan blue' (on the right)...

LukeNZ

I had the idea to tie a shrimp fly type pattern for loch sea trout and salmon. This was it...

Shrimp07Dec18_7971.jpg

It's still never really had much of a chance to prove itself though.

Col

....just a suggestion, as it would make the fly look even more killer - and get it down; maybe add small black ball chain eyes on top of the hook bend first, then tie it exactly as you have - Eyes like these on my #12 own design “koura” fly, except in the shrimp eye position on yours..?

Next batch of these will have the ball chain in that position too, on the bend.

7005FD54-A900-47DD-A3E5-4E082E1693BB.jpeg

Last edited:

LukeNZ

Cheers. The rear end is formed from golden pheasant body feathers. You might find the colours you are looking for on a ring-necked pheasant or an exotic variant, for example a melanistic...

Melanistic.jpg

Or a 'Michigan blue' (on the right)...

....is it Melanistic, or have you been getting creatively untruthful again in photoshop-pro land! You’ll be telling us there was a tower crane in there once, too!

Nice skins; have found Cookshill Farm an awesome source of full skins and wings. I have no idea how they manage it, but they get through bio security in NZ without the slightest hold up. Managed to get some really nice JC capes here too, but not sure of the origin, as they come from a supplier within NZ, but at only NZ$50 for full cape AAA. I bought a lifetime supply as soon as I saw them!

Cap'n Fishy

....just a suggestion, as it would make the fly look even more killer - and get it down; maybe add small black ball chain eyes on top of the hook bend first,

Feel free to add those to your own version, but I don't want any extra weight. It's the tail fly of a 3-fly, loch-styling team, fished on floater or intermediate. The double hook gives me all the extra weight I want, to bury in the tail fly just the ideal amount. ;)

Col

sewinbasher

All great patterns but in my opinion improved by the substitution of squirrel hair for feather. Zonkers are a decent new pattern for sea trout.

patk

Fantastic posts here just checking back many thanks to all. Have the motivation to tie some of these patterns now and add to the box!
Just on the hairwing I guess I've been tying those for some time replacing traditional wings yet still consider the pattern the same.
One of the posts here led me on a Google journey to another new to me fly the black ghost an interesting looking pattern.

Latest posts