Rib valley lakes

kingf000

I couldn't find a thread for Rib Valley so I thought I would start one. Rib valley lakes is just outside Ware and has one fly lake and two coarse lakes. It closes for trout fishing in the hot summer months but has just opened again this weekend. I went on Monday with a beginner to give him some practice with a good chance of catching something. The lake has recently been stocked with rainbows averaging 2lb and they were leaping out of the water everywhere. They were also grouped up as shoals near the surface. Being recent stocks I thought they would be taking anything, but I, along with others, tried lots of flies with not much success, until I tried an unweighted damsel fly nymph. Using a 14ft leader I was casting the line just short of the shoal, with the leader over the shoal, then pulling the nymph back through the fish about 2 inches below the surface. Wow, they took it like a dream. In the end I caught 11 fish and must have missed and lost at least twice that. In the end my nymph had lost most of its feathers and ribbing, but it was being taken! Something to remember.

parrot

One of my favourite fisheries. I always seem to go there when it is snowing. Great buzzer fishing early in the spring.