Ridiculously good for the money…

skajtrout

Once again a thread regarding good value rods goes way off topic

Indeed. This is the Tackle Talk section of a fly fishing forum. I am always interested to read about my fellow fluff chuckers experiences and views on what gear is good, bad or indifferent. I am absolutely not interested in anyone’s socio-economic or geopolitical outlooks. Spare me.

Skaj

Gdog

Indeed. This is the Tackle Talk section of a fly fishing forum. I am always interested to read about my fellow fluff chuckers experiences and views on what gear is good, bad or indifferent. I am absolutely not interested in anyone’s socio-economic or geopolitical outlooks. Spare me.

Skaj
Well said Skaj, I only joined in as you know who started his usual rant. I'm still thinking of buying one, thanks for posting this thread.

PaulD

So, do you think that all these manufacturers that are selling their rods at £700 to £900
are taking the piss!
Douglas
p.s. I think so!

So, do you think that UK cane builders, like Luke Bannister, are also 'taking the piss'?

LukeNZ

A high percentage of products we buy are either made in China or have parts made in China, that includes electrical goods, cars etc. Unfortunately if the Chinese regime is laughing at our stupidity, they have been for a long time. Cheap fly rods are only the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe we should all boycott goods where part or all of it has been manufactured in China, the only problem is it will be back to the 1800s for us until we get our manufacturing industry up and running.

An unlikely scenario?
I agree, we should all boycott anything made in china. Even iPhones - it will probably prevent a world war, further down the track 🤔

Rhithrogena

Judging by the tip and butt diameters stated (identical for each line weight) it is not beyond the realms of possibility that all three variants (4/5, 5/6, and 6/7) are all actually identical. When my 4/5 arrives I will chuck a #7 with it and report back 😆
The rod arrived, in just a plastic bag, no bubble wrap even. Nice matt blank good reel fitting . Cheap cork with plenty of filler. Fast action, powerful blank. My 4/5 feels like a 6/7.
Hope to cast it tomorrow...

Whinging pom

The rod arrived, in just a plastic bag, no bubble wrap even. Nice matt blank good reel fitting . Cheap cork with plenty of filler. Fast action, powerful blank. My 4/5 feels like a 6/7.
Hope to cast it tomorrow...
I bought one of the Leo reels on a whim as a spare for holding some extra 2wt if I get guests. it was a really good little reel, solid and nicely constructed, even the drag feels convincing..
The trouble is it was too small to be any practical good and the stated measurements ( with a declaimer in the description) were out. The line would be turned to pigtails. so it's sat empty in a bag unused with no resale value.
Not really a bargain after all. Hope you have better luck with the rod.

hobnobdude

Mine arrived today too, ordered Monday, packaged the same as yours and intact!

Mine is a 5/6wt and weighs 129g on some digi kitchen scales, same as my 9ft6" agility 2 7wt.

Rhithrogena

Okay, curiosity got the better of me and it it's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht so I just went and had a cast out back with the LEO 4/5
On a whim I mounted a wf7 of indeterminate brand (Ebay again 🙄), and noted the very short handle (comfortable and solid though).
I stripped off the whole line, worked the head out with a couple of falseys and let fly; of course the whole line pinged out to the backing. This is a GREAT casting rod, but it's a 7wt, not a 4/5. It seems my earlier supposition was correct.
I am guessing a batch of mis-labelled rods have found their way onto Ebay.
A bargain for those wanting a fast 7wt. TBH I reckon it would beast an 8wt line. I will save that for daylight.

Last edited:

Gdog

Okay, curiosity got the better of me and it it's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht so I just went and had a cast out back with the LEO 4/5
On a whim I mounted a wf7 of indeterminate brand (Ebay again 🙄), and noted the very short handle (comfortable and solid though).
I stripped off the whole line, worked the head out with a couple of falseys and let fly; of course the whole line pinged out to the backing. This is a GREAT casting rod, but it's a 7wt, not a 4/5. It seems my earlier supposition was correct.
I am guessing a batch of mis-labelled rods have found there way onto Ebay.
A bargain for those wanting a fast 7wt. TBH I reckon it would beast an 8wt line. I will save that for daylight.
Is it accurate at casting, does it have a heavy swing weight? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. This could be exactly what I'm after for winter fishing.

Rhithrogena

Is it accurate at casting and does it have a heavy swing weight? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. This could be exactly what I'm after for winter fishing.
Only had a few casts. Moonlight is great for improving your timing when you can't see the line, but no chance to really gauge accuracy. It FELT accurat, and really nice and smooth, and fast, and smooothhh. I refuse to be surprised. The fact that these can be sold at a profit for £16 means they must cost around a fiver to make I reckon.
Sobering really....

Rhithrogena

As for swing weight, no idea but it felt like a fairly thick-walled blank so prob high s/w. Your mileage may vary. Buy one and see....

Gdog

I am guessing a batch of mis-labelled rods have found there way onto Ebay.
Is it accurate at casting and does it have a heavy swing weight? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. This could be exactly what I'm after for winter fishing.
Only had a few casts. Moonlight is great for improving your timing when you can't see the line, but no chance to really gauge accuracy. It FELT accurat, and really nice and smooth, and fast, and smooothhh. I refuse to be surprised. The fact that these can be sold at a profit for £16 means they must cost around a fiver to make I reckon.
Sobering really....
Cheers, I reckon I'll push the button on one.

Rhithrogena

The 4/5 is a couple of quid cheaper than the others too 👍

LukeNZ

hobnobdude

Ive come in now from the garage, but I did a rough calc on swing weight for the 5/6 and it comes in at approx. 97g m2, circa 3.44oz.

This is very much approximate, based on the fact I measured the balance point of each section to the centre of my finger.....with a tape measure. And my scales read to the nearest gram only.

The tolerance stack on my method is likely to cause large variation. So use my figure as a guide only.

I forget the exact figures, but the 9ft 6 agility 2 7wt is just over 3oz by the same approximation.

Last edited:

skajtrout

Ah go on wid ya, dare to dream…

Skaj

Rhithrogena

Had a proper cast with the LEO 4/5 in daylight this evening - cast it alongside a Guideline Explorer 7/8 with the same #7 line. They both happily cast the whole line, the LEO has a lighter swing weight and a tippier fast action. Good rod, just not the 4/5wt I have a need for 😐

Rhithrogena

Is it accurate at casting, does it have a heavy swing weight? Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. This could be exactly what I'm after for winter fishing.
After daylight casting I can say it IS accurate and feels light in the hand.
I have never attempted to measure 'swing weight' and probably never will.

Latest posts