Ridiculously good for the money…

Capeldrae

Had a proper cast with the LEO 4/5 in daylight this evening - cast it alongside a Guideline Explorer 7/8 with the same #7 line. They both happily cast the whole line, the LEO has a lighter swing weight and a tippier fast action. Good rod, just not the 4/5wt I have a need for 😐
May I ask did you try it with a 4/5 line ?

Gdog

After daylight casting I can say it IS accurate and feels light in the hand.
I have never attempted to measure 'swing weight' and probably never will.
The UK seller on Ebay wouldn't post to Ireland, so I bought the 6/7 from Aliexpress. Delivery date is scheduled for early December so I will have to wait until then to post feedback to the forum. I'm wondering if the rod sold on Ebay UK is the 7/8?, anyway too late now and I'll find out whenever it arrives.

Waltyluft

The article by the late Steve Parton on graphite rod production and costs is always worth a read when you need a re-calibration.

Very old article. Interesting yes but out of date and he did like to grind axes.

PaulD

Very old article. Interesting yes but out of date and he did like to grind axes.

I knew Steve quite well, and yes, he wasn't short of an opinion or of sharing it. Americans couldn't cast and neither could casting instructors were two which I remember well. Steve could well have been King Prag of the Matic tribe.

Rhithrogena

The UK seller on Ebay wouldn't post to Ireland, so I bought the 6/7 from Aliexpress. Delivery date is scheduled for early December so I will have to wait until then to post feedback to the forum. I'm wondering if the rod sold on Ebay UK is the 7/8?, anyway too late now and I'll find out whenever it arrives.
mine is the 4/5 and it's actually a 7/8 wt. Judging by the tip and butt diameters they are all the same rating, just marked incorrectly??

Gdog

mine is the 4/5 and it's actually a 7/8 wt. Judging by the tip and butt diameters they are all the same rating, just marked incorrectly??
We'll see if the Aliexpress rods are all the same batch as the rods on Ebay, probably. The butt and tip diameters are the noted as the same on Aliexpress for all rods.

If I get the same rod you got, I'll be happy bashing away with it over the winter, trying my best to break it.

Does your rod have a half wells handle like the image on Ebay? I've never seen that on a 7/8 rod before.

Rhithrogena

We'll see if the Aliexpress rods are all the same batch as the rods on Ebay, probably. The butt and tip diameters are the noted as the same on Aliexpress for all rods.

If I get the same rod you got, I'll be happy bashing away with it over the winter, trying my best to break it.

Does your rod have a half wells handle like the image on Ebay? I've never seen that on a 7/8 rod before.
Yes, a shortish reversed half wells. It's fine, actually I prefer half wells.

Gdog

The Aliexpress seller had the rod returned from customs and they won't sell me another one even though I asked nicely.It looks like the UK based seller is out of stock. I'll have to try and wreck a different rod this winter.😜

Rhithrogena

If anyone wants the one I bought for £16 + actual postage costs anywhere in the world, let me know and I'll pass it on. I have too many 7wt rods....

Latest posts