Rio Gold Fly line

paul100

Hi all

Does anybody have any thoughts on the above line as I am seeing them for £49 at Garry Evan's? I'm not one for spending too much on my gear but with £25 saving (apparently) and I'm in the market for a new floater - was wondering if these are worth the asking price ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

noel

Or there's the alternative , we are nearly all buying the Maxcatch Real Gold at £10.61 after discount , have a read of the Matchcatch thread Stock20 is giving 20% .
Edited today for the appalling grammar and spelling .

Last edited:

speytime

Good value for money lines are barrio which model are you going for?

The last time I was out I stood on my slx and nicked the coating I'm annoyed at myself, if anyone has a 7/8 gathering dust I'd be interested?

Al

webblade

Or there's the alternative we are nearly all buying the Maxcarch Real Hold at £10.61 after discount have read of the Matchcatch thread Stock20 is giving 20%
Dammit I just bought 2 yesterday a wf4 and wf6 and forgot all about the discount code 😞

light olive

I've 5 and 6 weight Rio Golds. Good lines and £49 is generous if compared to the £70 I paid for mine 4 years ago....depending on your individual price predjudice😀. Annoyingly however, the coating on the 6 weight is showing signs of advanced cracking. It is used more the the 5 but for the dozen or so times it does get used each season then it seems prematurely weak. I've a few jars of permaplas and my lines get treated end of each season to try to retain some suppleness. I'm anticipating a return to Cortland.

original cormorant

I've 5 and 6 weight Rio Golds. Good lines and £49 is generous if compared to the £70 I paid for mine 4 years ago....depending on your individual price predjudice😀. Annoyingly however, the coating on the 6 weight is showing signs of advanced cracking. It is used more the the 5 but for the dozen or so times it does get used each season then it seems prematurely weak. I've a few jars of permaplas and my lines get treated end of each season to try to retain some suppleness. I'm anticipating a return to Cortland.
On the North American site there are complaints about the durability of the Rio golds - which may be why they are selling them cheap before replacing with a better line.

baztek1

I have golds in 3,4,6 and 7 #s and I cant fault any of them

The 4# I bought 2nd hand from luketrout stalker many moons ago, at leat 4 years I would guess.

Its the line/weight I use most and there is not one thing wrong with it. Even after 2 owners.

Excellent lines

I'm not sure the Maxcatch would last that long, i know bario don't although at the price of both these lines I dont suppose they need too.

If the rio ever does need replaced then I might try the maxcatch at £12 what have you too lose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

lee71

I have had my maxcatch gold two seasons and the only problem is it has cracked at the loop buty only recently so I put a braided loop on it, I had a Rio gold 1 and half seasons and that did the same. I'm not that good that I can tell the difference between the two, I have used most brands out there though and reckon VFM Maxcatch is the best.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances

Elwyman

Or there's the alternative , we are nearly all buying the Maxcatch Real Gold at £10.61 after discount , have a read of the Matchcatch thread Stock20 is giving 20% .
Edited today for the appalling grammar and spelling .
Do these discount codes work on eBay?

Latest posts