Rio In Touch

Nemekar

Hello everybody,

I’ve started to use Rio InTouch series fly lines in trout fishing. Perfect for nymphs I must say. But I’ve found myself snappig of tippet or fly from time to time when setting the hook in dries. Does anybody have the same experience? I think the non-strech core may really be the problem since this hasn’t happened to me before.

roger h 10

More likely to be the rod possibly combined with the line. It might also be worth checking your leader and tippet material,if it's old,been subjected to too much heat or sunlight it can lose it's elasticity and strength which would cause exactly what you describe.

Last edited:

JCP

Reads like you need to compensate for the low/non stretch properties of the line.I have some Rio In Touch lines and no issues but not fishing ultra fine tippets.I use braided furled leaders fishing dries which will compensate to some extent.

JP

alibongo

Also worth looking at the knot you use, I find the davy or double davy knot prone to break offs.

Ali

GEK79

Hello everybody,

I’ve started to use Rio InTouch series fly lines in trout fishing. Perfect for nymphs I must say. But I’ve found myself snappig of tippet or fly from time to time when setting the hook in dries. Does anybody have the same experience? I think the non-strech core may really be the problem since this hasn’t happened to me before.
I have the same problem with my stroft tippet it's my knots. Simply that my knots are crap..

speytime

I've got a spool of stroft I've never used due to the knot strength, I suspect its a dodgy spool as its to popular for my stuff to be the norm, maybe yours has been exposed to uv light.

RE Davy knot, I've used it for nearly 3 years on stillwater and never had any issues, I honestly can't think of the knot ever letting me down.

Al

I have the same problem with my stroft tippet it's my knots. Simply that my knots are crap..

GEK79

I've got a spool of stroft I've never used due to the knot strength, I suspect its a dodgy spool as its to popular for my stuff to be the norm, maybe yours has been exposed to uv light.

RE Davy knot, I've used it for nearly 3 years on stillwater and never had any issues, I honestly can't think of the knot ever letting me down.

Al
No my friend mine still has the black foam around it and always kept in a dark dry cool place. I've been practicing my knots today so hopefully the stroft will work.. But I really Like the barrio Trout cast... Thank you
Gary

speytime

No my friend mine still has the black foam around it and always kept in a dark dry cool place. I've been practicing my knots today so hopefully the stroft will work.. But I really Like the barrio Trout cast... Thank you
Gary
So does mine Gary?
Maybe it's some other factor I'm not sure but I wouldn't use the stuff I have.

GEK79

So does mine Gary?
Maybe it's some other factor I'm not sure but I wouldn't use the stuff I have.
After using the barrio trout cast that's what I'll use from now on.. I like it.. Thanks again
Gary

Scotty Mitchell

Al

Has to be a dodgy spool Al. I use ABR from 0.10 up to 0.18 and from 0.16 down its a Davy knot I use, I'm supremely confident with this. If you like it otherwise I'd urge you to try another spool and not be too put off. I also occasionally taper my leaders with 2 turn water knots joining the sections, no issues.

speytime

Has to be a dodgy spool Al. I use ABR from 0.10 up to 0.18 and from 0.16 down its a Davy knot I use, I'm supremely confident with this. If you like it otherwise I'd urge you to try another spool and not be too put off. I also occasionally taper my leaders with 2 turn water knots joining the sections, no issues.
I wouldn't normally tbh but I'm fairly certain from the reviews on it I've just been unlucky.
I do intend to buy another spool.

Cheers Al