Risk assessment for fishing

blithfield2

D1542483-25DF-4105-B1B1-FCCD2A766A3A.jpeg

glas y dorlan

What rubbish! Incidentaly, to the joy of most of you, I re-contacted my local police chat room to check again their position on travelling for exercise and in their view Boris has set the limits allowed, so in my area you can travel 7 miles to exercise but no further. Presumably that also means that cyclists can only ride a maximum of 7 miles.
Which Police force has this chat room you’re talking about? Did ask this before but I will assume you didn’t see my question.

kingf000

every one looking for ways to get round the law, a totally selfish attitude, fishing is dangerous, I fell in last year, easker1
This is a very good point you make, that everything we do has risks and we are continually balancing the risk against the benefit to decide what we do, most often subconsciously. Nothing we do is totally safe and just because the government says we can do something, it doesn't mean it is as safe as we would like. What we are allowed to do in the lock down is determined not just by how covid safe it is, but by other things such as the effect on the economy, people's livelihood and other benefits from that activity. Also the risk factor needs to be considered along with your personal circumstances. We are allowed to act as carers for my disabled grandchild. That has covid risks associated with it, but as we have no underlying health problems and take as many precautions as we can, we do it because it allows my daughter to go to work. However, if we had underlying health issues, we wouldn't do it.

If I may highjack this response to clarify a point. I have been accused by many of calling the police, which is a collective term, as 'brainless'. If people look at #13 they will see that what I actually wrote was 'I can show it to some brainless copper who doesn't know the law'. So I wasn't referring to the police as a whole, but to the chance of coming across a single PC who didn't meet up to the usual high standards of our police force. At the time I had in mind the incident in Derbyshire, which was condemned by many including the retire Chief Constable of Durham, as being heavy handed. Subsequently, the fine was rescinded and the Derbyshire Police have admitted that they were wrong in that they had not been abiding by the National Police guidelines. The fine was relatively high because the police officer regarded drinking a takeaway coffee as a picnic. The definition of a picnic is a packed meal eaten outside. The buying and drinking of a takeaway coffee is allowed under the lockdown rules and in no way can be regarded as a picnic. So IMHO, that was brainless and showed a lack of knowledge of the law.

sailingval

Having followed this thread closely I am heartened by the number of replies that feel traveling outside of our immediate local area cannot be justified. Whilst it maybe 'permitted' because local isn't closely defined, is it morally right; something the author has not considered. I would have to drive 25 miles to my private fishing club lake and I can't justify that as by any definition it is not local.

I am heartened by how many sensible people there are on this website. Thank you all for, like me, making the sacrifice not to go fishing.

JoeOh

I would be very concerned if I had to be admitted to hospital for any reason at the moment. Have a car accident, minor injury, medical treatment, huge covid risk as well as wasting medical and other services staff time, all over an unnecessary car journey at a terrible time of year. The trout can wait tiil April.
My mate's stepfather, minor stroke before Christmas, admitted to a London hospital, caught Covid, died. My old fishing pal, elderly and unfortunately suffering confusion, picked up wandering outside and taken to hospital, caught Covid, died.
I have assessed my risk.... stay where I am. Please stay safe everyone, we do not want to lose any Posters, their family members or their friends

rusty

The latest caption from the Angling Trust and Environment Agency-

Most of us live within five miles of a river or canal, with fish to be caught even if it wasn’t your usual first choice spot.

Looking at the Risk Assessment it appears to be totally inadequate for a fishing trip. It only addresses travel risks and Covid. None of the health risks normally in fishing risk assessments are addressed
eg.
Risk from hooks and shap tools
Risk of Weils Disease
Risk of Lyme Disease
Eye damage risk
Risks from drowning
Risks of monofil to the environment
etc.
These risks could all impact the NHS.

Since the OP claims a medical background this is a major risk ommision.

Rusty

eddleston123

The latest caption from the Angling Trust and Environment Agency-

Most of us live within five miles of a river or canal, with fish to be caught even if it wasn’t your usual first choice spot.

Looking at the Risk Assessment it appears to be totally inadequate for a fishing trip. It only addresses travel risks and Covid. None of the health risks normally in fishing risk assessments are addressed
eg.
Risk from hooks and shap tools
Risk of Weils Disease
Risk of Lyme Disease
Eye damage risk
Risks from drowning
Risks of monofil to the environment
etc.
These risks could all impact the NHS.

Since the OP claims a medical background this is a major risk ommision.

Rusty

''Risk of Blanking''

Douglas

mike fox

If I may highjack this response to clarify a point. I have been accused by many of calling the police, which is a collective term, as 'brainless'. If people look at #13 they will see that what I actually wrote was 'I can show it to some brainless copper who doesn't know the law'. So I wasn't referring to the police as a whole, but to the chance of coming across a single PC who didn't meet up to the usual high standards of our police force. At the time I had in mind the incident in Derbyshire, which was condemned by many including the retire Chief Constable of Durham, as being heavy handed. Subsequently, the fine was rescinded and the Derbyshire Police have admitted that they were wrong in that they had not been abiding by the National Police guidelines. The fine was relatively high because the police officer regarded drinking a takeaway coffee as a picnic. The definition of a picnic is a packed meal eaten outside. The buying and drinking of a takeaway coffee is allowed under the lockdown rules and in no way can be regarded as a picnic. So IMHO, that was brainless and showed a lack of knowledge of the law.
I am now weighing up the risk of being actually stopped by the Police on my way to go fishing while keeping in line with the law. I am also weighing up the risk of being stopped by a "brainless copper" on my way to go fishing while keeping in line with the law. I think I'll take the risk of not being stopped at all as I'm in line with the law..

kingf000

As I've kept saying - we need to focus on the 99.9% rather than the less than 0.1%. Evidence is emerging that the greatest increase in the numbers of people being hospitalised in this latest wave are men between the age of 50-70 with a BMI greater than 25. They aren't necessarily dying, but are occupying beds for far longer and taking longer to recover. So if you are over 50 with a BMI greater than 25, the best thing you can do to help the NHS is to lose weight.

fishing hobo

I would be very concerned if I had to be admitted to hospital for any reason at the moment. Have a car accident, minor injury, medical treatment, huge covid risk as well as wasting medical and other services staff time, all over an unnecessary car journey at a terrible time of year. The trout can wait tiil April.
My mate's stepfather, minor stroke before Christmas, admitted to a London hospital, caught Covid, died. My old fishing pal, elderly and unfortunately suffering confusion, picked up wandering outside and taken to hospital, caught Covid, died.
I have assessed my risk.... stay where I am. Please stay safe everyone, we do not want to lose any Posters, their family members or their friends
Nosocomial outbreak of covid on the ward is well known.

Paul_B

As I've kept saying - we need to focus on the 99.9% rather than the less than 0.1%. Evidence is emerging that the greatest increase in the numbers of people being hospitalised in this latest wave are men between the age of 50-70 with a BMI greater than 25. They aren't necessarily dying, but are occupying beds for far longer and taking longer to recover. So if you are over 50 with a BMI greater than 25, the best thing you can do to help the NHS is to lose weight.

So is gaining weight catching :unsure:

Covid is, and most of us know what the advice is :)

blithfield2

Most of here are not thinking of ourselves but for the greater good. Instead of lecturing and attempting to deflect, just what is wrong with "Stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives?"

ohanzee

I don't remember anyone trying this hard to go fishing out of season before covid.

Lamson v10

From what I've heard, it looks as thought the police are making sure that if travelling, you are aware of the risks and only if deemed too risky and breaking the rules will you be fined. I'm hoping to go fishing later in the week, weather permitting, so I've put together this Risk Assessment form which I will take with me and show to the police, which hopefully will avoid any difficulties.

Risk Assessment for Fishing in the Covid Lockdown

Activity: driving alone to fishing lake, total distance 28 miles, fly fishing for 6 hours.

Travel: This is the nearest place to my home for fly fishing for trout.

Risk: Breakdown. 2.5M breakdowns per year of 40B miles travelled. So, chance of breakdown 1 in 16,000 per mile. Chance of breakdown on journey: 1 in 570.

Mitigation: Car serviced and MOT’d 2 months ago. New front tyres. Check car before leaving.

Risk: Accident. 160K car accidents per year. Chance of accident 1 in 250,000 per mile. Chance on this journey: 1 in 9,000.

Mitigation: No accident in 50 years of driving. Drive carefully and restrict top speed to 60mph.

Risk: Fishing. Less than 0.1% of covid cases occur outside with social distancing.

Mitigation: The lake restricts numbers so that no angler needs to be within 6 metres of each other. Keep apart from other anglers by at least 4 metres (2.75 metre rod a good estimated measure). Wear mask when buying the on-line booked ticket at the desk by the door. Sanitise hands immediately afterwards and at regular intervals, and avoid touching the face.

Obtained written permission to travel to fishing from the on-line local police chat room (attached).

_20210117_201057.JPG

taffy1

For that, it looks like you would need the same amount of material to make a thong as you would need for a bell-tent.

Edit: at least the dog is well shaded.

Last edited:

Latest posts