Risk assessment for fishing

kingf000

Why can cyclists only ride 7miles? I can ride 20 miles in an hour and not be more than 2 miles from home!
Sorry you misunderstood what the police have said and that I didn't make it clear. You can only cycle a 7 mile distance from home. There is nothing to stop you cycling 100 miles or more, just so long as you don't venture further than 7 miles from home. I thought the meaning was obvious, as Boris cycled 7 miles to the park (actually 7.1 miles by the most direct route), cycled round the park, (so up to 9 miles from Downing Street), then cycled back through districts of London with some of the highest rates of covid!
Mind you, the message I got is only the interpretation of one police officer in one police authority.

hutch6

no one else? I did ask the family and they just asked if they could have any fish I catch! There may be a few vocalising on this Forum against, but it seems quite a few people are going out fishing, whether they have assessed the risk or not. The lake I was intending to fish have had up to 10 anglers fishing their trout lake per day (capacity is normally over 20), plus many others fishing their coarse lakes. How far they have travelled - who knows but certainly not local as defined by village, town or section of city, as it is in the middle of nowhere.
So, as an alternative:

Get a paint roller and run it and down a wall three times - garage wall would be good. Then have a bike turned upside next to you and with your other hand spin the wheel a few times before rollering the wall again. That covers you for exercise.

If you do this whilst writing your next peer reviewed paper in your head that should cover the brain aspect.

See if you can do it for 24hrs - so overnight making you feel all heroic for stretching a government guideline - and put up a page stating you’re doing for charity (casting for change) so we can sponsor you. The next “sir old man” in the making.

No rule bending. No flack. No guilt. No rush at all. Made a difference. No brainier.

kingf000

So, as an alternative:

Get a paint roller and run it and down a wall three times - garage wall would be good. Then have a bike turned upside next to you and with your other hand spin the wheel a few times before rollering the wall again. That covers you for exercise.

If you do this whilst writing your next peer reviewed paper in your head that should cover the brain aspect.

See if you can do it for 24hrs - so overnight making you feel all heroic for stretching a government guideline - and put up a page stating you’re doing for charity (casting for change) so we can sponsor you. The next “sir old man” in the making.

No rule bending. No flack. No guilt. No rush at all. Made a difference. No brainier.
Ha Ha! But (a) I wouldn't enjoy it and (b) my family wouldn't have a nice trout to eat for tea.

ohanzee

Ring Ring....''Derbyshire Police how can I help you?''

Kingfoo: ''I'd like to speak to a brainless copper about angling risk assessments please''

Derbyshire Police: ''no problem sir, just give me your name and whereabouts and I'll have a brainless copper pop round and explain that in detail for you''.

kingf000

Ring Ring....''Derbyshire Police how can I help you?''

Kingfoo: ''I'd like to speak to a brainless copper about angling risk assessments please''

Derbyshire Police: ''no problem sir, just give me your name and whereabouts and I'll have a brainless copper pop round and explain that in detail for you''.

glueman

Notice you pick the Met and Dorset police,who is dumber them or you,I think most on here think the answer is YOU

blithfield2

Scraping the barrel now Mr vice president, you are doing yourself no favours. Can I ask whether it is a temper tantrum or whether you are trying to ingratiate yourself back into the reasonably minded fly fishing forum?

I suppose this officer's family would be deeply gratified at your warm comments!

Last edited:

haggstock

When I worked for a living , I did lots of real risk evaluations . The Industry that I worked in had major risks , solvents , oxidising materials , and corrosives . We did a lot of operational training for our staff on Permit to Work . Part of the Hot Work course covered the “ Fire Triangle “. One of the key points in the Fire Triangle of course is that a fire needs oxygen to thrive .

The same could be said of Internet Trolls , deprive them of the oxygen of reply and they’ll wither and die ....

ohanzee

When I worked for a living , I did lots of real risk evaluations . The Industry that I worked in had major risks , solvents , oxidising materials , and corrosives . We did a lot of operational training for our staff on Permit to Work . Part of the Hot Work course covered the “ Fire Triangle “. One of the key points in the Fire Triangle of course is that a fire needs oxygen to thrive .

The same could be said of Internet Trolls , deprive them of the oxygen of reply and they’ll wither and die ....

So....suffocate trolls basically? :unsure:

Old McDonald

Selective reporting. Look again at the government website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home,

It says guidance not rules, a big difference. The rules are in the law which are far more lax. Stay local, yes, but it goes on to say that you may travel outside your area for exercise, look at the travel section:
  • outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
They don't define 'short' which is the crux of the problem.

For a scientist you make some horrendous mistakes and are particularly bad at misreading non-interpretive information. I joined in because of your extremely inadequate so called Risk Assessment.

I suggest you follow your own advice and look again.

I have already pointed out at #111 that the guidance is the law. It was not posted for your information but that of others because at #66 you posted “I'm giving up on this. You lot can do what the h**l you like and revel in your obtuseness.” Obviously that meant you would not be contributing further, nor presumably even reading subsequent posts. Again, for the information of others this is how he described those of us who attempted show him we disagreed with his decision to flout the law: “obtuseness - the quality of being slow to understand. dullness. stupidity - a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience. oscitance, oscitancy - drowsiness and dullness manifested by yawning.” Insults anyone?

I have just checked and you did stay away – for 21mins. You do not even do what you said you will, so I now assume you are reading this. I acknowledge that other posters have also pointed out your errors of judgment prior to this post, but I wanted to address your faults in a fair amount of detail, because you warrant such a response, so no disrespect to those other posters if I repeat some of what they have already posted, and I hope none are offended.

Here are some relevant extracts from the link you gave above:

Summary: what you can and cannot do during the national lockdown
You must stay at home. The single most important action we can all take is to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.

You should follow this guidance immediately. This is the law.

Exercising
You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

Travel​

You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

To summarise: You have detcided not to stay at home. Permissible - provided you do not break the law.

You are driving for an unknown length of time and then propose to fish for 6 hours before returning home again. Contrary to your claim at #118, there is a limit on the distance you may travel, and the duration of the exercise is limited to once per day. Is your journey and timescale of your “exercise” minimising the time spent outside your home? Could you not fish for 2 hours instead of 6? “Local” is also defined and there is no reference to local authority area, county etc., only that you have to (note I say “have to” because the guidance is law) stay within your village, town or part of city area.

You claim you will only drink coffee between breakfast and returning home. Not a good plan. You need some nourishment more frequently than say, 8 hours after breakfast. You must be alert for your journey home. Remember at #52 you said that you drive as if everyone on the road is an *****? Well, my opinion of someone who says they are going to exercise for 6 hours solid without a break and with nothing to eat is also an ***** - if an ***** is what I think you mean it to be. As I have already pointed out, if you do take a break then you are not abiding by the “once a day” law.

At #144 you claim that travel outside the local area is stated in the guidance to be permissible. You had also previously claimed at #118 that the guidance does not specify what local is. What nonsense. It specifically states “you can travel a short distance within your area”. You correctly state “short” has not been defined. But your local area has been defined. It is blatantly obvious to those of us with the affectation of obtuseness that short does not need to be defined because “your local area” has been defined and anywhere within that area has to be a “short” distance. Anywhere beyond that area is not permitted. It is not “short” that is the crux of the matter as you claim, but “local area”.

You state that there is fishing closer to hand, but it is not the type of fishing you want to do because you would not consider it exercise. I assume this is also because you want to go fly fishing for trout. Being a simple peasant with his own little bit of a river with only coarse fish in it I needed to find out about fishing for coarse fish when I bought it in 2003 as I had never previously done any coarse fishing and can tell you that most coarse fish that you are likely to come across in the UK will take a fly. Try it, it is good “exercise” and you might learn to appreciate that it is more difficult to catch coarse fish on a fly than it is to catch trout on a fly.

You argue with members on this forum that it is necessary to drive to the place you have chosen (and I use that word advisedly) to fish. The onus would be on you to prove it is necessary if you are challenged. Due to your posts on this thread you would be morally obliged to appeal against the FPN you are likely to receive and with sufficient merit to hope that an arbitrator in the shape of someone (or more than one depending upon how things go and the depth of your pockets) will agree with you.

My risk analysis (a mental subjective decision without a full assessment) for the probability of something going wrong and being fined, plus large legal costs if appealed, is that a day’s fishing, possibly blanking, is simply not worth that much.

Finally, you have castigated posters for using old information, yet you saw fit at #168 to give a link to an article in The Times published almost 18 years ago to justify your view of members of the police force. Maybe your local police, because some of them are members of this site, know exactly who you are, know where you are going, and are simply waiting (having previously obtained all the necessary knowledge of why and what you are doing is contrary to the law) and have the backing of those with more authority, to use you as an example of people who flout the law. Think about it. Think very carefully about it. You will go ahead anyway and no doubt get away with it every couple of weeks until somebody decides you have annoyed them sufficient to “shop” you.

Banksie

For a scientist you make some horrendous mistakes and are particularly bad at misreading non-interpretive information. I joined in because of your extremely inadequate so called Risk Assessment.

I suggest you follow your own advice and look again.

I have already pointed out at #111 that the guidance is the law. It was not posted for your information but that of others because at #66 you posted “I'm giving up on this. You lot can do what the h**l you like and revel in your obtuseness.” Obviously that meant you would not be contributing further, nor presumably even reading subsequent posts. Again, for the information of others this is how he described those of us who attempted show him we disagreed with his decision to flout the law: “obtuseness - the quality of being slow to understand. dullness. stupidity - a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience. oscitance, oscitancy - drowsiness and dullness manifested by yawning.” Insults anyone?

I have just checked and you did stay away – for 21mins. You do not even do what you said you will, so I now assume you are reading this. I acknowledge that other posters have also pointed out your errors of judgment prior to this post, but I wanted to address your faults in a fair amount of detail, because you warrant such a response, so no disrespect to those other posters if I repeat some of what they have already posted, and I hope none are offended.

Here are some relevant extracts from the link you gave above:

Summary: what you can and cannot do during the national lockdown
You must stay at home. The single most important action we can all take is to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.

You should follow this guidance immediately. This is the law.

Exercising
You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

Travel​

You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

To summarise: You have detcided not to stay at home. Permissible - provided you do not break the law.

You are driving for an unknown length of time and then propose to fish for 6 hours before returning home again. Contrary to your claim at #118, there is a limit on the distance you may travel, and the duration of the exercise is limited to once per day. Is your journey and timescale of your “exercise” minimising the time spent outside your home? Could you not fish for 2 hours instead of 6? “Local” is also defined and there is no reference to local authority area, county etc., only that you have to (note I say “have to” because the guidance is law) stay within your village, town or part of city area.

You claim you will only drink coffee between breakfast and returning home. Not a good plan. You need some nourishment more frequently than say, 8 hours after breakfast. You must be alert for your journey home. Remember at #52 you said that you drive as if everyone on the road is an *****? Well, my opinion of someone who says they are going to exercise for 6 hours solid without a break and with nothing to eat is also an ***** - if an ***** is what I think you mean it to be. As I have already pointed out, if you do take a break then you are not abiding by the “once a day” law.

At #144 you claim that travel outside the local area is stated in the guidance to be permissible. You had also previously claimed at #118 that the guidance does not specify what local is. What nonsense. It specifically states “you can travel a short distance within your area”. You correctly state “short” has not been defined. But your local area has been defined. It is blatantly obvious to those of us with the affectation of obtuseness that short does not need to be defined because “your local area” has been defined and anywhere within that area has to be a “short” distance. Anywhere beyond that area is not permitted. It is not “short” that is the crux of the matter as you claim, but “local area”.

You state that there is fishing closer to hand, but it is not the type of fishing you want to do because you would not consider it exercise. I assume this is also because you want to go fly fishing for trout. Being a simple peasant with his own little bit of a river with only coarse fish in it I needed to find out about fishing for coarse fish when I bought it in 2003 as I had never previously done any coarse fishing and can tell you that most coarse fish that you are likely to come across in the UK will take a fly. Try it, it is good “exercise” and you might learn to appreciate that it is more difficult to catch coarse fish on a fly than it is to catch trout on a fly.

You argue with members on this forum that it is necessary to drive to the place you have chosen (and I use that word advisedly) to fish. The onus would be on you to prove it is necessary if you are challenged. Due to your posts on this thread you would be morally obliged to appeal against the FPN you are likely to receive and with sufficient merit to hope that an arbitrator in the shape of someone (or more than one depending upon how things go and the depth of your pockets) will agree with you.

My risk analysis (a mental subjective decision without a full assessment) for the probability of something going wrong and being fined, plus large legal costs if appealed, is that a day’s fishing, possibly blanking, is simply not worth that much.

Finally, you have castigated posters for using old information, yet you saw fit at #168 to give a link to an article in The Times published almost 18 years ago to justify your view of members of the police force. Maybe your local police, because some of them are members of this site, know exactly who you are, know where you are going, and are simply waiting (having previously obtained all the necessary knowledge of why and what you are doing is contrary to the law) and have the backing of those with more authority, to use you as an example of people who flout the law. Think about it. Think very carefully about it. You will go ahead anyway and no doubt get away with it every couple of weeks until somebody decides you have annoyed them sufficient to “shop” you.
No one has “flouted the law.”
There is no ‘shopping in’.
And there is no “must”.
No ‘loopholes’ either.
All subjective.

Haven’t you been here before?
I seem to recognise the writing.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
No one has “flouted the law.”
There is no ‘shopping in’.
And there is no “must”.
No ‘loopholes’ either.
All subjective.

Haven’t you been here before?
I seem to recognise the writing.
Irrespective of anyones regard of old posters, and recognising of writing posts, given the horrendous figures publicised to-day, should we all, every single one of the populus, be thinking what do I do to keep safe and others safe, not, what can I do to bend the rules to the limit, for my own benefit?

regards
Bert

taffy1

1,564 deaths in a single day in Britain from this horrendous invisible virus that has encircled the world, yet there are people who are doing their utmost to confront the pandemic head on, Kamikaze beliefs? Our NHS are putting their lives at risks, not only to save those already in their care but those who wish to "chance their arm" & add to the catastrophe the NHS is suffering at present.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
1,564 deaths in a single day in Britain from this horrendous invisible virus that has encircled the world, yet there are people who are doing their utmost to confront the pandemic head on, Kamikaze beliefs? Our NHS are putting their lives at risks, not only to save those already in their care but those who wish to "chance their arm" & add to the catastrophe the NHS is suffering at present.
Yep, but I have my risk assessment! I am safe from infection!
You use of Kamikaze is good, bet the risk assessment for those wishing to partake in a certain kind of dive bombing would just as well as that of our wonderful kingfoo, up to the point they crashed and burned of course!

Banksie

“... should we all, every single one of the populus, be thinking what do I do to keep safe and others safe, not, what can I do to bend the rules to the limit, for my own benefit?

regards
Bert
If an individual has the luxury of choice, then fine. For others, ‘bending the rules to the limit for... their own benefit’ could well be someone trying to make the best of a difficult situation with what’s available in the guidelines (and laws) in order to manage an illness. There must be hundreds of members here with different concerns or reasons to continue fishing. If a fishing forum can’t help them with something that’s allowed, then they’re on their own. Now that is selfish.
edit: to “chance their arm” now?
I should list them all. 😎

ohanzee

Yep, but I have my risk assessment! I am safe from infection!
You use of Kamikaze is good, bet the risk assessment for those wishing to partake in a certain kind of dive bombing would just as well as that of our wonderful kingfoo, up to the point they crashed and burned of course!

The reason fishing is allowed is because it is deemed a safe activity, for me personally that's not really the question, I just can't get over someone who can't grasp the fact that you don't need a risk assessment for activities that have been risk assessed, by the same government that writes the guidelines, calling coppers brainless.

JoeOh

This information on the Anglian Water Website:
Further to the government announcement regarding the latest national lockdown, we can confirm that our parks will be remaining open for access to the tracks and play parks.
Access to angling, watersports, mini golf, cycle hire and non-essential retail shops will be closed until further notice.
We ask all visitors to follow the Government advice relating to Covid 19 restrictions and keeping travel local. Our responsibility to ensure that everyone who visits us maintain social distancing and is respectful of the local communities around the park remains clear and we ask that everyone plan their visit mindful of those who live in the areas surrounding the park.

I am getting mixed messages here.
* Fishing is closed. OK no worry, season over 31st Jan and season ticket holders getting £50 refund. Not interested at this time of year.
* Keep travel local
* Visitors should plan their visit.
* Repectb local communities around the park
I may be getting the wrong message but I am going no where, even disconnected the car battery. Rutland can wait till buzzer time ( hopefully open then !)