River Advice Please - Brown Water (Dane)

SAB

I had a quick look along a stretch of the River Dane yesterday and noticed that the water is dark brown. I'm relatively new to river fishing so don't know what this means. Can anyone tell me if this is temporary or permanent? Does it affect the fishing?

I intend to try for brown trout on the river - any advice on flies or tactics? Is the river worth fishing?

Thanks in advance.

FlybyEire

I'm not familiar with the river, but if it is dark brown it is often due to recent rain. It doesn’t have to be local either depending on the origins of the river rain miles away can cause it to flood and become murky like that. A couple of days without rain though and the river should be back to normal (unless it’s always like that)

FBE :)

DAS

River Dane

Hi SAB,
the river Dane colours up very quickly after rain as it has a very silty bottom for much of its length. The good news is that it does tend to "fine down" very quickly again. I've seen it 2-3 ft higher than normal and running chocolate brown one day and then fishable 36 hours later.

Some stretches of the Dane are very clear indeed, especially in low summer conditions. If you find it coloured up, my suggestion would be to go back a couple of days later.

As to wether it is worth fishing, it all depends on which strech you are considering. There are a few clubs who stock the Dane with brown trout, there are also an indeginous population of (mainly) small brown trout and then you occasionally get an escpaed Rainbow from the Danebridge trout puddle. Whereabouts are you looking to fish?

As to flies, like most rivers, it all depends. I've had good success on grey klinkhammers, double badgers, PTN's and gold-headed small nymphs.

PM me if you want more info.

Daran