River 'Bank' Net

devondabbler

I'm looking for a landing net with a decent reach (folding / telescopic?) when fishing from a high river bank, where wading is not allowed. It needs to be easily carried on my back and I would prefer the net to be made of rubber mesh. It could also possibly double up for use on high banks when reservoir fishing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

anzac

There are a lot of good choices for what you are looking for. My advice is that only you can decide what will work best for you and what suits you personally. With that, off you go to a number of well stocked shops to try out to try out as many landing nets as you can find.

taffy1

Hardrar

I'm looking for a landing net with a decent reach (folding / telescopic?) when fishing from a high river bank, where wading is not allowed. It needs to be easily carried on my back and I would prefer the net to be made of rubber mesh. It could also possibly double up for use on high banks when reservoir fishing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul
Best Bank net I ever used was a Sharpes Gye trout and Sea trout size, very light, very strong and no fold over hinge to struggle with plus a nice long reach. They used to do one with a spiked handle, so you could stick it into the bank and strip line into it. I used these when I was into competition fly fishing - I would use nothing else for bank and boat fishing PLUS PLUS PLUS! Not made in the Far East!
Also on rubber nets- not a fan, on a cold day the rubber isn’t that soft, many are not that deep and They are heavy, I’ve had fit Rainbows jump out of them. The Coarse lads use fine soft mesh and this doesn’t harm the fish. The only advantage of rubber nets is the hook doesn’t snag in them. I’ve converted all mine back to soft nylon mesh.

Overmiwadrers

I have a place I fish in winter where bank top is the only place to be I use a small pan net and a
Korum Opportunist Telescopic Net handle. I have made a longer sling for my back. it works a treat.

O M W

Sash

I have one of these Paul, had it for nearly 40 years for my Stillwater fishing.
Its never broken or been any problem at all.
This one happens to be for sale with Thomas Turner Tackle on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilco-Pr...973398?hash=item3fe5995ed6:g:NSUAAOSwLXpfF~Cy
S.
That's a really good net, and I have a similarly-old one that I inherited, and have used for the last 10+ years of fishing for Sewin.

It was only this year that I foundthe handle to be just a bit short: extended the whole net is a touch under 6ft (I think it is 68"), and it was too short on one particular pool on the Cleddau to net a cracking 3 pounder: I made a real mess of it all. There is another lovely pool nearby that I dare not even fish because I cannot get a fish out with my current net; this is a real shame.

So I am also looking for a longer net, and the Sharpes Gye nets look interesting. But I need an extended length of 80" or more, but the ability to carry the net on my back all night. It's not an easy combination!

Last edited:

devondabbler

Thanks all,
For your advice - Having had a good look around, I'm definitely going to go for a Wilko type net - Sharpes of Aberdeen do similar nets for reasonable money.

Paul