River Calder, lancs - is this pollution?

donnieh

Not sure if I should report it as i'm no expert but arrived at the Hyndburn & Blackburn AA Dunkirk Farm stretch today and noticed a blue'ish tinge to the water. Then a half mile or so upstream where syke side brook entered the river it was like blue dirty water being poured into the calder. Does this look like an incident?

Attachments

• 20210407_122442_65.jpg
    20210407_122442_65.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20210407_122444_65.jpg
    20210407_122444_65.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54

Rhithrogena

YES, that was an incident. Needed reporting at the time. By the time an inspection can be made now, it will have all washed downstream and been diluted and hard to trace.
I have been lazy in the past but am determined to report such things this season. Dairy farms have all but killed a lot of the rivers in the South West, in particular the Torridge and Tamar systems.

Mrtrout

We’re there any dead fish?
My experience with them up here is (no dead fish then we don’t want to know)
S.

Rhithrogena

A quick glance at Google maps and the likely source of the 'blue dirty water' would be the Altham industrial estate, surely?
Make the call

donnieh

We’re there any dead fish?
My experience with them up here is (no dead fish then we don’t want to know)
S.
Hi Steven,
Getting that feeling myself after speaking with some fellow fishermen on the ribble. A couple of incidents were reported but no real follow up.

Scotty Mitchell

Farmers. I’d be banned if I posted my true thoughts.
They have utterly decimated the Fife Eden, no inverts or plant life left. Just brown slime the entire length.
The EAA still stock it, but once those are “caught” by the Eastern Europeans employed by the Fruit Farmers, there’s absolutely nothing there to fish for.
Fight for your river now, before it’s too late.
I don’t think the Eden will ever recover, and it’s all down to farming.

bonefishblues

Hi Steven,
Getting that feeling myself after speaking with some fellow fishermen on the ribble. A couple of incidents were reported but no real follow up.
I've had exactly the opposite experience with my last 2 reports (Thames and Anglian) Prompt and effective action both times.

Are you in Utd Utilities land there? They seem t9o be the flood discharge kings and need thei feet holding to the fire IMHO.

glueman

They have utterly decimated the Fife Eden, no inverts or plant life left. Just brown slime the entire length.
The EAA still stock it, but once those are “caught” by the Eastern Europeans employed by the Fruit Farmers, there’s absolutely nothing there to fish for.
Unfortunately you want to eat

Scotty Mitchell

Unfortunately you want to eat
I still needed to eat 20 years ago too, and the Eden was absolutely healthy at that point.
There are no more farms along its length, and the Farms have been there and the same size for centuries, so put that old chestnut away for now eh, we all know what’s doing the damage.

glueman

No you don't without evidence.
I still needed to eat 20 years ago too, and the Eden was absolutely healthy at that point.
There are no more farms along its length, and the Farms have been there and the same size for centuries, so put that old chestnut away for now eh, we all know what’s doing the damage.

Scotty Mitchell

No you don't without evidence.
There’s plenty, mainly recent studies carried out by EAA and some St Andrews University bods.
I’m not about to scrape around and post it here though, so don’t ask, you’ll just need to contact EAA yourself or take my word for it.
They are a friendly club, I’m sure they’ll share their findings.
Plenty proof son, don’t worry.

Rhithrogena

What a shame. My local river when I learned to fly fish in '73. Lost a good seatrout in the Pooch, and was later chased into the river by a bull!! Also remember catching a 10" Flounder on a wet fly, down and across in a nice gravelly run 😳

glueman

There’s plenty, mainly recent studies carried out by EAA and some St Andrews University bods.
I’m not about to scrape around and post it here though, so don’t ask, you’ll just need to contact EAA yourself or take my word for it.
They are a friendly club, I’m sure they’ll share their findings.
Plenty proof son, don’t worry.
So someone says you are a lousy driver no actual evidence just they do not like you or your ilk. Take it to court and be laughed out

Latest posts