River Caldew, Lake District

Prolifichare

I wish I could put a few pictures of the (I'm sure) pretty, very wild Brownies from the Upper Caldew. But they were faster than greased lightning! I've not been fishing that long but I've fished a few wild upland rivers and I've never seen fish so fast on the dry fly.

I briefly managed to connect with one and probably missed 15-20 very splashy takes. I had no interest at all with a nymph but lots of missed takes and follows on the dry. I know these upland fish are fast and hungry but this was crazy.
I started to wonder if they were actually taking the fly properly or just coming up for a look. It was a very bright day and pretty warm so not sure if that made them more spooky.

Any thoughts or do I just need to improve my reactions?

Attachments

• IMG_0835 copy.jpg
    IMG_0835 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52

jaybeegee

That’s a lovely looking beck. I find that a switch to a dark or black emerger or a spider to mimic a drowning terrestrial in the surface film sometimes does the trick.
B

Prolifichare

I was using a grey bodied klinkhammer. No problem getting them to go for the fly but I was just too slow on the take, or they weren't taking properly.

Are they more likely to 'properly' take a darker fly then? Will try that next time, cheers.

It's a lovely bit of river to fish, on open access land too so free!

Mrtrout

I was using a grey bodied klinkhammer. No problem getting them to go for the fly but I was just too slow on the take, or they weren't taking properly.

Are they more likely to 'properly' take a darker fly then? Will try that next time, cheers.

It's a lovely bit of river to fish, on open access land too so free!

Sounds like they weren’t really taking the fly Roger, they are pretty damned quick where we were the other day, but we hooked a few of those.
S.

Pritts Apprentice

You need to get right down in fly size 20# and below. Tiny fish, tiny hooks, more hook ups. Keep the hackle dressing sparse, use a genetic hackle 1 turn and there is less chance to spit the hook. Oh and make sure hooks are new and sharp and debarred.