River Esk Midlothian!

mikey67

well,i fished there for my first seasons of fishing(last year) caught one brownie 3 sea trout,but hooked a real nice fish would say 2.5lb lost it though,does anyone know if there is grayling as far down as musslebrugh,and hows it fishing for brownies

flywhiteguy

just to revive an old thread i hooked in to a salmon today on the north esk it was well over 5lb. it couldve even been close to 10 this thing was massive, first time ive seen a big fish in the esk anywhere from the north/south or after the confluence. It stuck its head out the water 3 or 4 times right infront of me. 10 minutes later it had taken a size 14 GRHE. Fought me for about 5 mins then snapped my line as i was about to net it. Just thought id share that.

mikey67

I was on the esk the other week too, got chucked of as there is no grayling fishing??? Ah well!! Caught plenty while I was there, including sea trout and Hooked a salmon

scoobyscott

Hey mikey how's it going? Where were u fishing and who put u off the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfkr666

If your looking to fish the Esk aroun Penicuik I would firstly suggest trying John clerks estate, beautiful place to fish, brownies up to a pound with. The occasional escapee rainbow from valleyfield trout farm, another good place to try is just outside roslin where the old gun powder factories were, very nice pool on the right hand side of the the weir, may need your waders thought, you can also wade downstream towards roslin glen, plenty pools about holding fish.

mikey67

Hey mikey how's it going? Where were u fishing and who put u off the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bailif at mussleburgh put me off mate, was rubbish, was having a cracking day aswell

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

https://twitter.com/edinburghflyfis/status/522725291433947136

https://twitter.com/edinburghflyfis/status/522725111053709312

https://twitter.com/edinburghflyfis/status/522725111053709312

Last edited:

ant0

If your looking to fish the Esk aroun Penicuik I would firstly suggest trying John clerks estate, beautiful place to fish, brownies up to a pound with. The occasional escapee rainbow from valleyfield trout farm, another good place to try is just outside roslin where the old gun powder factories were, very nice pool on the right hand side of the the weir, may need your waders thought, you can also wade downstream towards roslin glen, plenty pools about holding fish.
I know this is an older thread, but I was thinking of giving the esk a try around this Penicuik, Roslin, Etc stretch.... What I'm not yet 100% sure on is if this needs a permit or not, and if so where I get one? Most info here and on blogs say no permit required for this stretch, but I'd like to be sure.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

steven342

Was down the esk yesterday evening, had a cracking time, waters looking really good. I spent the majority of the evening trailing through bushes around Auchendinny but saw plenty of rises. It wasn't until towards the end of the night I got closer to Roslin, and this was a lot more accessible, so I'll start down their next time.

didnt catch anything but promising signs.

At what stretch did you catch a salmon / sea trout? I was under the impression they were unable to get past the damns down at dalkeith.

Last edited:

Latest posts