River fishing for brown trout 2019

mrnotherone

Steve I struggled on the top section , a few hundred yards downstream of the village , it does see a lot of traffic to be fair .

Steve you did very well by the way . 39 fish is a good day considering the conditions . The weather is a lot cooler today .
Your river seems to hold one hell of a head of fish - I'm jealous. Love the reports, must be great having this on your doorstep, but I'm also sure it has it's challenges.

bibio1st

Your river seems to hold one hell of a head of fish - I'm jealous. Love the reports, must be great having this on your doorstep, but I'm also sure it has it's challenges.
Not quite my doorstep, just short of a 90 mile round trip for me but well worth getting over to when I can, my local rivers bring me back down to earth though there are one or two better sized fish.

Steve

G

guestrd

Jon the river does hold a good head of fish , if you set your stall out you can do well with the nymphs , dry fly fishing is not easy by any means . If you ever fancy a trip over then I will guide you to some of the better stretches of river .

mrnotherone

Jon the river does hold a good head of fish , if you set your stall out you can do well with the nymphs , dry fly fishing is not easy by any means . If you ever fancy a trip over then I will guide you to some of the better stretches of river .
Danny, that's very generous and an offer I'll hope to take up. Thank you.

bobnudd

After my last few trips to the Elan Valley and lake Vyrnwy I at last got out on a river.I fished the afternoon into the evening on the Clun. The river was up about 5'' above its summer level and a bit coloured. As walked to the start of the beat I was surprised to see that the mayfly was still about. I started fishing with a nymph and had some small Grayling. looking up the river I could see fish rising so I put up on the trusty old simulator. After making my way quietly to where the fish were showing. I put my fly over him and the second it hit the water he was on,:thumbs: then off again:(
Not to worry there was more fish rising and couple of casts later I was into another this time I got it to the net.DSC00116.jpg That's the way it continued the fish weren't every where just in the long slower sections.Finished up with around 15 Trout and lots of small Grayling DSC00114.jpg:thumbs:

Last edited:

icaughtafishonce

Pretty awful photo, but it's the best I've managed. I think I'm going to give up trying till I get a net.

20190701_204721.jpg

Also got a tiddler in last evenings hour of fishing.

Last edited:
G

guestrd

Yesterday I had a afternoon on the river , just fished the dries , it was very windy and I struggled at times turning the leader over , river was pretty low and the bright sunshine did not help .

I persisted with the dries and caught on various dries , Ged CDC , Parachute Adams in a size 20 and a size 20 Griffiths Gnat . Ended up with 10 fish , mainly trout .

Today I fished the same section of river , this time I was nymph fishing , tried a pair of Spiders in the first pool and failed to hook anything , change of plan , stepped down in tippet size and used the Jaxon in a diameter of 0.12 , went on the small stuff , size 20 Pheasant Tail Nymphs tied with 2 mm copper beads .

It was a game changer , took a dozen grayling from a shallow glide that was no more than 18 inch in depth , although the depth did vary in places to a mere 12 and 6 inch of water .

The trout seemed to be not in the mood today , caught some lovely grayling going on for 17 inch long , plus the smaller ones around 9 to 11 inch .

Finally as I fished the pocket water and the heads of the pools I started catching a few trout .

Things started to go quite at around 3 pm , carried on and caught a few more fish as I waded upstream , my ankle seemed a lot better today , but still not up to a 4 or 5 hour river session .

A very productive day on the micro nymphs , ended up with 50 grayling and 15 trout .

wobbly face

Out today on the lower half of the river, 7.9ft #4 rod and fished duo, my trusted grey nymph with 2.5mm bead size 18 jig and CDC dry size 18.
Started in slow water and soon had a brown on the dry, noticed a few fish topping. It then went downhill. Offer on the nymph, fish lost, offer on the nymph, fish lost, offer on the nymph, fish lost. :eek:mg: I then offset the point, next offer and landed, another brown. Needless to say, I still lost fish on the nymph throughout the rest of the day including a grayling. As it happened, most fish wanted the dry. :thumbs: Due to the breeze being awkward I cut down my leader by 12 inch (I had a 9ft leader on then added tippet, Stroft FC1 in 0.12). Some sections of river had changed since my last visit a few weeks ago, chunks of the bank are missing meaning parts are now wider but shallower. Back to the fishing, I ended with 6 grayling, 4 on the dry and best about 12 inch. I had 16 browns on the dry with just 7 on the nymph. Again best going to 12 inch. I had one very nice looking brown, golden yellow with a double row of bright red spots. I had my camera but didn't use it. :eek:mg:

simonhad

Really hard work on the Seven today, though I can't think why. The conditions looked pretty spot on and fish were showing. I tried the french leader with two weighted nymphs for a bit and hooked and lost about five quite nice fish. Managed one tiddler. Switched to a team of spiders but nothing was interested. Eventually managed a further three fish on the emerger - so a total of four in around a five hour session. A modest return for the effort. Ah well, that's fishing.

seven1_2july19.jpg

sevenfish2_2july19.jpg

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Just back from a good session on a small beck, glad i took my hat today, i reckon i'd of fried my solar panel without it.
Fished dry as usual, have to say there wasn't a massive load of fish rising and there wasn't a whole lot of fly life coming of the water, but there was fish there for the taking. This was a new stretch for me (more jungle warfare) reckon i must of met every nettle plant on this beck, oh well as long as i haven't got as many insect bites as last outing i'll survive. On the trout front i only landed 1, it was a good 12 inch wild fish, the only other trout i hooked snapped me in a tree root, this would of being the biggest of the day, it was a right lump, just hope it's alright.
On the Grayling front, i was catching no end of them from 4 inch to 14 inch, i also managed 2 Chub which was very pleasing.

Getting in and out of this beck was very hard work, at one point i got in and couldn't get out until i broke a big branch and used that for leverage, but the rewards are there for anyone who puts the effort in.

Days highlights, Damsel flies (never ever seen so many) kept hitting them when casting, even hooked a female one on the fly which was then mobbed by loads of males while i was trying to unhook it, could even see the females under water laying eggs on the rauchaless weed.
Kept seeing kingfishers all day, had one come whissing round the corner, nearly flew straight into me.
plenty of buzzard and nettle caterpillars.
Also saw the most swallows i have seen for ages, this was while driving home, past a area that was rife with them.

Tip of the day for dry fly anglers (most will probably already do this, but for those that don't), after i have caught a fish, i go through a process, release fish, wash fly, dry fly, fluff fly back up, degrease leader, all this while keeping a eye on the pool for another fish rising, i not so sure these things are essential to do, but what it does do is give the pool a few minutes to settle before putting in another cast, i used to be straight back in, but i'm convinced by doing this process it is advantageous to my fishing.

Tight lines.

bibio1st

Had a good evening on the river, never known it fish so well with a 24 trout and 4 grayling to hand or net with as many on/offs, the water was fairly low and clear but it didn’t put them off, I only fished a short stretch really but was kept busy, most of the fish were on the small side but had a few reasonable one and this the best trout

Fished double nymph with a Walt’s sexy worm on the point and a black magic nymph with a purple bead dropper and both took their fair share, took a tumble backwards about an hour before packing up which resulted in getting a soaked left had side of my clothes but it was warm enough to continue.
One of the grayling

Steve

Last edited:

mrnotherone

I spent about an hour and a half on the Usk yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day with a light breeze. I just had time to fish a few of the faster runs with nymphs and managed to hook 6 and net 3. The water is so fast that if the fish gets down stream, it's really hard to get it back. No matter, it was great to be out on such a lovely day.
Jon.

IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg

G

guestrd

Today I had a trip up into the upper reaches of the river , levels looking on the low side in places , not been up to this neck of the woods for a few years .

Arrived on the river at 3.30 pm , set up 10 foot rod , although it was difficult in a few pools , might take the 9 foot 6 inch next time . First 3 small pools I cocked up , caught the bankside vegetation , I did manage 3 fish .

Soon got into full stride and picked up plenty of trout on the nymphs , as per usual PTN 's and Hares Ears did the trick .

The trout also responded in the slower slack pools as well as the faster water also , I was really happy being up in the sticks . Finished fishing at just past 7.45 pm , a really productive day for me , 95 trout and 5 grayling was the final score . Same again tomorrow a day in the sticks once more .

G

guestrd

Arrived on the river at noon , river really low and gin clear , the river was lacking depth , width and flow in places , started on the Duo , Ged CDC on the dropper and a small PTN on the point .

Managed 4 fish in the first hour , the fish seemed very inactive , thought I would try micro nymph fishing for a while , caught the odd fish but it was hard going .

In the end I went on the heavier nymphs and did well in the heads of the fast water , also the small riffles produced a few trout . Finished off with 24 fish in 3 hours .

Took a stroll upstream and again I struggled in water that sometimes holds very good amounts of trout , picked up fish from the faster water . Around 4.30 pm things picked up , come 5 pm and the trout were on the fin , managed around 30 trout and grayling in the last one and a half hours .

Pity I had to leave the water as I was getting tired been on my feet all day , managed 70 fish , biggest majority of the fish caught were trout . Overall 2 very good days on the river .